PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Apr 15, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very easy going

Intern (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern for more than a year

ProsEveryome is very friendly and open. Trainig was substantial. Management always received and appreciated comments and complaints.

ConsIt felt very difficult to move up the chain. People were slightly anti-social, for the lack of a better word.

Growing pains

Mid-level Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking in the headquarters city, I have visibility with senior executives.
This is still a relationship bank, so it isn't as cutthroat as the largest banks both between employees and with customers.

ConsLike all of its peers, PNC is going through tremendous change due to the regulatory environment both in retail and corporate businesses.
PNC is evolving from a small company to a big company, and there are bound to be growing pains along the way. Some managers still think small. Some new executives brought in to help with the growth don't fit into the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for those of us in the businesses to get what we need to grow our business from technology professionals without long waits and cumbersome processes.

Look elsewhere

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Except not flexible. Management expects you to be in your seat 8 hours a day. Compared to other industries 8 hours a day is good, but management makes it hard to take doctor's appointments and run errands and make up the time.

ConsTerrible raises, in a banner year at PNC a good raise is 2%. My manager told me she tried to give me a 2% raise but leadership cut my raise to 0.6%. I don't trust my manager. I received a "Meets All Expectations" at my year end review. In my development meeting with my manager, I asked them how I could get a better rating next year and what I needed to do to get promoted. Their response was that I was doing a great job and I just need to keep doing what i'm doing. There is no framework in place to understand how to get promoted or how to increase your raises. It is all up to the discretion of your manager.

Internal politics is so frustrating. Department Directors fight with each other instead of cooperating to get work done.

Vacation time expires each year and you cannot roll over unused time. I have a family and it makes it difficult to plan vacations because I need to have some reserve vacation time in case a child gets sick. PNC needs to move to PTO give people more vacation and allow indviduals to roll over at least 1 week of vacation per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle Managers need serious training on how to be effective and develop employees. Technology is terrible, PNC work computers are still operating on Windows XP and Office 2007. And Lotus notes email versus Microsoft outlook.

Pretty good, and getting better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsNote: I work at corporate headquarters, so these may not apply to branches, operations, or other customer facing areas.
Depending on who you work for, work/life balance is very good.
In spite of what some may suggest, the opportunity to move around within the organization is good for performers.
They still do merit based pay raises.
There is a building focus on improvement.
For a bank, good job security. FTE reduction is always a last resort - the reason you haven't seen the headlines regarding layoffs for PNC like you have for other large financial institutions.

ConsTechnology is still a ways off from where it needs to be, but they are working on it. Example - no wifi, and they are only just this year upgrading from Windows XP.
The culture is very set in its ways and does not react well to change. This results in a lot of under-utilized human capital. Example - finance experts spend far more time slicing and dicing in excel to transform data than actually conducting financial analysis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease emphasis on continued training.

Program moving in the right direction

Financial Analyst Development Program (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsFinancial Analyst Development Program (FADP) is moving in the right direction. Really good exposure to senior management. Pay is definitely competitive for the location (although finance makes less than many other areas of the bank).

ConsA lot of the experience is how lucky you get with your rotations; some are much better than others. If you get lucky with your rotations then the experience will be good, but otherwise watch out. There is very little opportunity for "finance" work as the vast majority of it is accounting based.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure analysts are placed in a rotation that NEEDS someone so they aren't just sitting around. Look to hire more people with accounting backgrounds instead of finance.

Careful selecting benefits as soon as possible

Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a job, it taught me a lot of useful information about government regulations on the banking industry, some have since changed.

ConsIt took me three weeks to select benefits and when I did, my paycheck took benefits price from day one, no one advised any employees that would happen, before, during or after.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe crystal clear on how the payment of benefits happens, from when to when and whether selecting them the first day or 3 weeks in does not matter.

NSFC

NSFC (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for more than a year

ProsPay was decent relative to other low skill jobs available in the area. There is some potential for advancement provided there is management turnover.

ConsThe work is exceptionally boring. Dealing with customers that are angry because they were charged ridiculous NSF fees of $30-36 for over drawing an account by $0.50 is not fun.

Great company, positive mission and community involvement

Operations and Support Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat work/life balance. Excellent job security if you are committed and can get the job done right.

ConsLots of red tape and committees to get projects off the ground

Mislead about job and salary

Quality Control Accountant (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThey had programs for their lower paid employees to help save for retirement.

ConsTreated so horribly that I quit and got unemployment. PNC tried to sue me but the judge threw the case out after he saw my evidence. It was a toxic work environment. Some days when then network would go down and we could no do our work we got lectured and threatened with not being paid since we were not working. They threatened to fire me if I went out on FMLA and my work was not done. Just horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees.

Must see

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people and strong reputation in the community.

ConsWay to many dead end jobs with not nearly enough career jobs, and its extremely hard to advance within the company if you didn't intern with the company. Choose your position wisely.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart opening the door to internal employee's regardless of what line of business they work in.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings in Pittsburgh, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 125 reviews posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.