PNC Financial Services Group

Updated March 1, 2015
1,365 Reviews
3.6
1,365 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 26 reviews)

• upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has been good to me but I am not sure that many of my colleagues would say the same for their experience.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Branches are not as rigid as some of the larger competition. Managers still have room to run things according to their customer traffic. The corporate structure allows for good upward mobility. People are treated fairly well and there is an easy system for reporting hr issues anonymously. Incentive possibility ranges from decent for licensed employees or bankers. Licensed bankers have the ability to obtain full licensing without a minimum commitment to stay with the company. Good hours with branches in my area open from 9am-5pm in lobby and depending on the branch limited to no saturday employment. Bank is closed on all federal holidays unlike some competitor's. Company provides good training which may include expense paid travel to out of state classes. For the most part the atmosphere is positive with more focus on customer service than sales although this is beginning to change.

Cons

Pay is on the low end of the industry for tellers and bankers which results in high turn over. As of recent there has been a change in top level management with people from other big banks who are trying to implement the hard sales tactics of other firms at PNC causing the culture to shift to be more like industry heavyweights. The teller role is being weeded out to additinal atms and the "universal model" aka tellerless branches so full time teller spots are limited causing a loss of young talent. Not enough time spent fostering new entry level employees. Strict customer service scoring which makes it difficult for any busy branch to maintain passing scores. The branch auditors are ridiculous and care more about failing offices than giving them the updates on policies so they can pass. The company does not pay incentive until half way throught the next quarter making it difficult to leave bc if you are not employed on the day that incentive is paid you will not get it even if you were employed through the end of the quarter. They discourage over and under achievers by reprimanding low sales and putting a cap on high incentives. If you land a huge sale they reserve the right to ingnore the percentage you are due per the comp plan and pay you a reduced amount to avoid "windfall incentives". Goals are established monthly but they pay you quarterly which makes no sense.

promote more from within, stop bringing in these fools from chase and elsewhere who come in and seek to change the culture to that of their former employer and whats worse bring in their buddies to fill positions under their supervision. Pay your bottom level employees more! Stop being stingy with the incentive program if someone lands a big fish let them have every last bit of the incentive.

Easy to move up but lack of good management

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Very easy to move up the company, from teller to supervisor to banker etc. Potential to make a lot as a banker if you're in a busy market

Cons

Management is usually awful. Too many micro-managers. I've seen management get away with things that should get them fired ont he spot yet nothing happens. Also, if a teller or banker does that they're instantly fired. Super low pay for tellers.

Teller Supervisor

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Very supportive company, great to their employees,

Cons

I really don't see any cons working for them, the compensation is fair, they are attentive to work -home balance, great to their employees

Smart, hardworking people make PNC a great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

Pros

Smart people who aren't filled to the brim with ego.

Cons

The downside of a company better suited to lifestyle is slightly less pay

Keep your focus on your plan

It started off great and fizzled at the end

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Started off very calm gratifying

Cons

New business plan did not align with customer needs

Great Company, Lot Of Opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for PNC in the Indianapolis territory is the people. As a new employee you are supported by multiple business partners, classroom and online trainings and have the ability to shadow as well. PNC puts a lot of time and effort into making sure you have the support you need to hit the ground and also further develop your career within the company. Many companies will tell you they promote from within but PNC is one of the few who walks the walk.

They also offer good befits. 4% 401k match and 3% pension. You start off with 2 weeks paid vacation with the ability to buy an additional 2 weeks of vacation after you've been with the company for a couple of years.

Cons

PNC could do a better job marketing their flagship products to clients. Although they sell themselves, many clients don't realize we offer mobile deposit or professional investment advice because we don't do a good enough job getting the word out to prospects.

Also, a recent change in health benefits has been a drawback as well. PNC now only offers high deductible health care plans. I personally rarely need to go to the doctor so it doesn't effect me much. My premiums are actually cheaper, but I can see how this could be an issue for some.

Keep bringing optimistic personable talent on board and continue your promise to promote from within.

Constructively; put some additional funding into sales and marketing. PNC is one of the largest banks in the industry and has top of the line technology/products... but most people don't know that. We can attract new customers and continue to grow the share of wallet with our existing client base by putting our word out there. PNC needs to differentiate itself amongst the Chase's of the world.

Fantastic job for a college student. The part time hours, pay, and experience is great for college students.

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

There are a lot of pros at PNC for a part time employee. The flexible hours are great for college students and the pay is much better then other businesses without the late night shifts.

Cons

It can get mind numbing. There is not growth opportunity until you have a degree and at that point your ready to move on.

Less micromanagement

Great overall place to work

Former Employee - Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, especially early in your career. Great focus on work life balance and most departments/managers are flexible when they can be.

Cons

Benefits got progressively worse and more expensive, but were still better than you will find in most places.

Try to reign in the rising costs of benefits. There might be valid reasons for why they increase so much year over year but to the average employee its simply money lost.

It has been a great experience, even through all changes with Global changes.

Current Employee - Transaction Mont & Verification Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Transaction Mont & Verification Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PNC is a great advocate for employee communication within departments, team work, and talent within the company.

Cons

PNC is a bit behind in technology, and poor line of business communication and training.

Great Internship, terrible HR

Former Intern - C&IB Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - C&IB Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Every PNC employee that I had to work with, both a daily basis and for special projects, was both impressive and genuinely supportive in my development as a financial professional. I was encouraged to explore the different businesses within the bank and my managers took time daily to answer my questions and give me feedback on my work.

Cons

HR can be difficult. It seems like one of the few departments that doesn't have a family feel. Be sure to document every interaction, otherwise you can easily get hurt out in such a big system.

PNC Financial Services Group Photos