PNC Financial Services Group

www.pnc.com

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.2 1,031 reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights
1,031 Employee Reviews

Out of Footprint LOs - A deserted Island

Loan Officer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsReally nice empty offices. Great place for LOs that come from other big in-footprint banks that paid to get their LOs, in realtors' offices (which PNC isn't willing to do for out of footprint LOs), meaning, PNC can and does get files closed significantly faster than other big bank competitors... which is important in the Purchase Money Market.

ConsAbsolutely no out of footprint marketing support, meaning, no business development management, no access to the existing database to do mail merges to send mailers to existing customers that can use PNC's help, i.e. 6,400 plus existing customers in our marketplace with rates above 6% (30 yr refi rates are mid 4s at this writing).

Antiquated technology, meaning, no paperless docs, no web based technology, 15 minutes just to price a loan (there's no quick pricing engine like Optimal Blue).

For all intents and purposes, the LO is the processor assistant, meaning, you send out, collect and upload all documents. To be fair, an outsourced doc company mails out a package from Miamisburg, OH that's about as user friendly and confusing to borrowers as an assembly manual for an arc welder. You'll spend 60+% of your time in processing and doc chasing functions.

The area manager is bogged down in paperwork, acts as an incessant "file fixer" for what should be just a normal file flow rendering them useless to help LOs develop market relationships with real estate brokers, builders, etc.

Basically, the majority of LOs rely on chasing HARP loans to survive... looking them up one borrower at a time (see no data mail merge marketing access above)... which means this out of footprint division is 150 bps away from evaporating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue - If you want to penetrate the Purchase Money market, do what your successful competitors do; pay for it. That includes, mailer marketing campaigns to existing and potential new area customers, hiring marketing managers/BDO (business development managers), giving out of footprint branches the same access to products in footprint LOs have, getting on board with bond/municipality down payment programs... in short, DO WHAT THE SUCCESSFUL COMPANIES IN THE MARKETPLACE DO!

The day's of LOs knocking of realtors doors begging for business are over. We're not welcome... especially since out-of-footprint offices have plain vanilla products that don't meet the market. Our vapid message is falling of deaf realtor and builder ears.

All of this should be disclosed to LO's prior to employment, so they don't waste their time where they never stand a chance of competing in the marketplace.

Finally, if you only want to play to your limited existing "strength", focus on hiring LOs from other big banks that have an existing realtor following those banks paid for.

If not, fold up this tent and go back to Downer's Grove. You're wasting yours and other people's lives and time and your shareholder's money.

Teller Supervisor

Branch Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosreally great co-workers and customers

ConsPay is a joke, management is lazy and untrained and no sense of how to manage or coach, also the back office support team can't be trained because they never have a clue how to help with anything

This company is terrible to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay, the hours, and the incentives

Consthe people, the environment, and management

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions, perks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pays the bills

Teller (Current Employee) Bryn Mawr, PA

ProsDont have to stand all day

Conslow pay and career mobility

Advice to Senior Managementhave some follow thru dont just talk yourself and culture up and then do nothing

Displaced after 101/2 years

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSome of the coworkers younger coworkers able to find other positions, not so for older workers

ConsDisplaced - laid off after 10 1/2 years with them at an age where I was just 5 years from retirement, devastating financially and emotionally. Unable to find comparable employment, senior management in same office did not have courtesy to even say goodbye.

Advice to Senior ManagementOlder workers need more assistance in finding new positions, a few years from retirement is not the time to layoff people, it is time to support them, how would you like it if this happened to you?

All about numbers no time for employee life balance

Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee)

Prosgreat employees to work with

Conssenior and upper management always looking out for themselves.

Advice to Senior Managementgive your employees the time and balance for their own family.

Narsacitic company who chews you up and spits you out.

Minion (Former Employee)

ProsThe only pro is that I no longer work for such a disgraceful company.

ConsManagers only care about themselves and will lie to save their job. They will throw you under the bus in a second if it means saving their own pathetic neck. Full of backstabbing, uncaring management. Unless you are friends with management don't plan on moving up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry listening to the truth for a change.

Incredibly immature managers with no education

FHA Modifications (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH

Prosyou start at 8 and leave at 5

ConsYou feel like you are in the novel Lord of the Flies

Advice to Senior Managementstop relying on excel spreadsheets, roll up your shirt sleeves, re read your college texts on management and go fix all your operational departments - one of the worst banks I ever worked for

Inexperienced leadership, sales goals weekly with a threat of being fired on a weekly bases

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsReasonable pay and reasonable hours. Every region is run different. Some regions have better leadership than others. Working conditions vary from branch to branch.

ConsHuge staff turnovers, very low pay for tellers and bankers with weekly sales goals that are beyond your control. Huge politics game. Stay away from this company! PNC is closing lots of branches in Oh and Pa. Lack of personal growth for most.

Extremely negative environment/culture

Financial Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsPay seems to be fair. No complaints on my part.

ConsExtremely negative. Lots and lots of "coaching" which is nothing more than continous and incessant berating at employees of all levels. "Do you want fries-i mean credit card
     with that? Be prepared to be that obnoxious if you are in the branch. Management watches and measures every move you make. Never make a decision on your own or use any initiative if you want to remain safe. I havent experienced this much oversight since i was 4. Complexity of processes is off the chart. Example: 18 pages of instructions for taking an investment deposit. Did I mention the negativity srrounding the culture here? I guess i did, well let me repeat it. Are you an extremely docile and obedient lap dog then you might fit in here. If you have a backbone and can work without continous supervision then go somewhere else. This place is a serious affront to my values.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of the managers. Maybe without their "help" work could actually get done. The managers that are left hopefully will have a spine but it is rare in this environment.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!