PNC Financial Services Group

Updated July 21, 2014
1,104 Reviews
3.2
1,104 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

PNC is a wonderful company. It has an opportunity for growth, and works with its employees to help them grow. The pay is competitive and there are good benefits. Each branch is a little different, but overall every branch works to give each customer a great experience.

Cons

I didn't experience many challenges working there. It was a great place to work. I loved my job and my branch worked well together.

What is the direction

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good healthcare coverage. Working hours are good. Wall Street likes the company right now. Good technology available to consumer customers.

Cons

Very high turnover. Goals are built on all of the lines of business working together, and that doesn't happen when many of the Investment positions, and Mortgage positions are consistently vacant. Branch Market leadership only used this market as a "stop over" to a different position, and really undermined morale. Little opportunity for career growth.

Hold lines of business accountable for referrals back to the branch. Everything seems to fall back on the branch employees, and when that occurs, turnover levels increase dramatically. Be realistic of the expectations in new markets vs. established markets. You talk about Employee Engagement, and get data back on it, but the "good" data, may not be an accurate measure of the true feelings of the employees.

It was pleasant, sometimes a little boring. I liked the variation in the hours. I also liked the training program.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Teller in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was just a bank job, slow sometimes but at least you got to seat in a comfy chair and look at the computer or magazines during down time.

Cons

They place to much weight on the surveys of customers (at least at my branch). It could be that customers get annoyed that they are being called at home and you may get a bad review

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Team Environment

Former Employee - Financial Service Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Financial Service Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gives you lots of opportunities to grow

Cons

Highly rely on CIQ scores. Becoming too big.

look other stats besides CIQ by Gallup

Lack of Career Growth

Former Employee - Banking  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Banking in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits decent pay. Bonus structure was vary competitive. Overall your individual manager will be supportive but the district and regional managers are not.

Cons

Lack of career growth opportunities. Outside candidates always given preference during the hiring process. Each region is subdivided into districts and no manager ever wants to allow their employees to leave their district because they are concerned only with their performance numbers.

Allow people to move around within the company.

Nanny State

Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Management places a premium on ethics
    Banking products are competitive
    Very risk-averse, which keeps the company out of trouble

Cons

Every move you make is monitored, evaluated, and commented on. Gets old quick.
    You will spend more time documenting what you've done during the day than actually doing it.
    Customer-facing employees are expected to act like clones, right down to how you greet customers.
    Bonuses based on production are lousy, unless you're accustomed to no bonus at all.
    If in a Branch Financial Sales Consultant position, you will be expected to cold-call businesses.

My advice is to hire young, inexperienced people to be your branch reps, because these are not jobs for grown-ups. Trying to dictate things like exact language when greeting customers is way, way overboard and will rub all but the most pliant employees raw. Few people enjoy working in a nanny state.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!