PNC Global Investment Servicing

William S. Demchak

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer III  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

Flex working hour, business casual attire environment

Cons

lower side pay, not H1b friendly

Help senior analysis with due diligence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

It was a good initial exposure to the financial services industry. As a college student it gave me a hands on introduction to the world of mutual funds and managed accounts.

Cons

Interactions with other employees was extremely compartmentalized. I rarely worked with members of other departments. I would have like to have had more open sharing of information across departments.

Make an effort to encourage interaction between departments.

No work/life balance

Former Employee - Director of Accounting  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Director of Accounting in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Interesting clients and fund structures.

Cons

Excessive hours; insufficient staffing, including quality of hires. Inadequate and outdated technology tools to get the job done.

Invest in people and technology. Price your services accordingly. You can not squeeze both ends of the profit equation simultaneously.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to learn the industry

Former Employee - Investment Accountant  in  Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Investment Accountant in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Relaxed.
    Good Working environment.
    Excellent starting point to start a career in Investment Industry
    Excellent Managers and Directors with great knowledge of Fund industry and accounting

Cons

Pay is Low
    Back office / Cost center Environment
    Outsourcing Risk
    Not a good place for a critical thinker
    Not a good place to improve your presentation or writing skills

Implement Bonus/ profit sharing incentives to improve employee moral

Former employee of over 10 years. (Accounting)

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Wilmington, DE

Pros

You will learn a lot at PFPC/PNC GIS. They make sure of that. I don't t think it was a good idea, however, in retrospect, to stay there as long as I did. I saw many people advance further and faster bouncing back and forth between PFPC and other companies.

Cons

Advancement within is sketchy. There are managers who knew the work, but who were far less capable of managing other employees. OR helping an underling with issues with an employee. I had a situation occur like that, and my only recourse as a supervisor was to write the person up, something PFPC is keenly adverse to doing. (someone who did the minimums required to get the daily job done, and spent every other waking moment surfing or texting or on the phone. Having to wait, often, 4-5 minutes for a non emergency personal phone to talk to someone is unacceptable. Being then told (repeatedly), by said underling they didn't have time to do a project involving funds they did normal activity for after that is also unacceptable. )

Supervisors and managers doing accountants work in such cases, due to such push back. This was a large part of my dissatisfaction with the job. (Well, that, and that I was sick, I found out later, actually had been for some time. I ended up in the hospital for GI issues and an ongoing infection just after I was laid off. This, I was told, had been affecting me for at least a year. My lay-off was a very good thing, it allowed me time to recover from invasive surgery.)

Management classes for supervisors and above. Support your supervisors, and give them ways and means to manage others, and deal with pushback.

What has come to my notice recently, as I job searched in NYC, is something else. It is likely they will need to pay their accountants more, especially in Alternative Investments. They use the Geneva system there, since 2006. It has come to my attention that BOTH JP Morgan and CITI are moving to that platform for accounting.

Soon to be BNY

Current Employee - Investment Accountant  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Investment Accountant in Wilmington, DE

Pros

-Relatively low turnover
    -Very hard to be terminated
    -Casual Friday
    -Volunteer opportunities
    -Very culturally diverse
    -Very accommodating to new parents
    -Occasional health screenings

Cons

-Unwillingness to terminate incompetent management
    -Hypocrisy from management, management will not allow vacation during the beginning of the month because of month end deadlines, but guess who took just took the first week of week of May off?
    -Actual accounting knowledge relatively low on an individual accountant level
    -Obvious favoritism by upper level management
    -Low compensation

Compensation as a whole is probably the worst thing about this company. 3% annual raises hardly keep in line with inflation. Also, promotions seem few in far between. There would definitely be much higher turnover over this simple fact alone if the economy was doing any better.

Low pay results in a large number of less than competent employees

Former Employee - Manager  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Westborough, MA

Pros

If able to find the right department and management team, you will be recognized for doing a good job. But finding that department is a crapshoot. Westboro has a cafeteria.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to competitors and other financial services firms. "Merit increases" max out at 3% per year. Other than the standard annual review, there's very little feedback that takes place. Most departments in operations are dead ends. Your ability to move up in the hierarchy depends totally on your manager's interest in seeing you do so. Can be very political. Virtually no communication between senior management and employees regarding issues that will directly impact employees. Can be very thankless place to work. Just been bought by BONY. Cafeteria is overpriced. Vacation time starts at 2 weeks. Don't get 3 weeks until 5 years. No consistency between departments.

Increase base level pay to get more qualified candidates. Environment doesn't reward motivated and ambitious employees, nor does it give them any reason to stay. So the best and brightest leave resulting in a lot of weak players being left behind to shoulder an increasing burden.

Going downhill, fast

Current Employee - Systems  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems in Boston, MA

Pros

Great work/life balance. Opportunities to learn and try new things are plentiful due to the huge lack of abilities by many employees. If you want to work from home or just 6 hours a day, this is the company for you!

Cons

It gets lonely in the office on a Friday when no one else is there. Entrenched management hate change and are threatened by anyone who tries to instigate it. Management are terrified at the idea of confrontation therefore if they do not like what you are doing, you will only hear about it in your yearly review.

Most people in management positions are there purely because of who they know or who they have 'buttered up'. Many of these people justify their existence by being a vocal roadblock instead of a leader looking for solutions and opportunities.

My advice is get plenty of experience here as there are opportunities, learn how NOT to manage people and projects and then find a company that can use that experience well.

PS the bonuses here are a joke

Take a long hard look at whats happening. Do you want great results from hard working professionals or poor results from mediocre employees who tell you what you want to hear?

Mixed Experience at PNC Global Investment Servicing

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I enjoy the actual WORK at PNC GIS. I have found the senior management team to be open to entrepreneurial spirit and creative input from staff. They have allowed me to have a great deal of freedom regarding the direction of my lines of business; granting me the opportunity to truly effect change where needed.

Cons

I work like a third year medical student. I have more work than is humanly possible to accomplish; projects that I would like to complete in order to create efficiencies and streamline processes are pushed aside to accomodate new business. I am exhausted and would like to see more of the strangers living in my house.

Spend some money and hire some staff---or give us a six month moratorium from new business.

PFPC is not a place to work since PNC Bank bought it

Former Employee - QA Testing Specialist  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - QA Testing Specialist in Westborough, MA

Pros

Some departments managers are really nice and care for their employees. Boston area staff is really nice to work with.

Cons

Overall top management care more about the bottom line numbers. Most of the time it is treated a bank.

Please listen to the employees for a change. Please stop treating it like a bank when it is not a bank.

Worked for PNC Global Investment Servicing? Contribute to the Community!