PNC Mortgage

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
2.5

CEO

Very easy going work environment. Management is accessible and not overly demanding

I have been working at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment is easy going. Work life balance is great. Flexible. Great organization for teamwork. Not being micromanaged. Work at my pace.

Cons

Hard to advance. Responsibilities and roles are not clearly defined. Management doesn't engage employees at all levels. Experience is over valued

Stuck in their old ways

I have been working at PNC Mortgage

Pros

Work/Life Balance is pretty on par with other companies. They pay ok when it comes to salary. They have young talent at the comany (Top tier recent college graduates).

Cons

HR Department lives by their old logic of "Experience over youth/talent. They would rather higher someone that has 5-10 yrs experience than giving the job to an internal employee with is young, talented and educated.

Take advantage of the young talent is which you have available rather than chasing someone with years of experience that you would have to pay 30K more per year.

My Experience was fair. The interaction was pleasant in most situations but the work environment was tense.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at PNC Mortgage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Knowledge of the mortgage industry. PNCM embraces employees based on past experience and trains them on how the mortgage industry works.

Cons

There are a few cons that I realized when working at PNCM. IT professionals who work for PNCM are paid much lower than the industry average. PNCM does not address employees who pose as road blocks to major projects. Management does not know how to effectively deal with decenters of progress.

Upgrade your systems! Update your processes and remove individuals who stand in the way of progress. Those are people who state "we have been performing a function a certain way for X number of years and there is no need to change it." These are individuals who are attempting to hold on to a position of authority without learning anything new or improving.

Not the place for large producers

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible working conditions. Free to run your business how you see fit. Management will go the extra mile to assist when needed

Cons

Lack of sales support and inconsistent communication. Work day productivity hampered by support in different time zone. Communication with support can be frustrating at times as well.

Make the same mortgage products available in ALL offices and make sales support local

An okay company to work for.

Former Employee - Program Support Specialist in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Program Support Specialist in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My salary increased quite a bit during my tenure there. Within 3 years it increased at least $10,000. For the amount I was making without a degree I feel it was pretty good. I had a wonderful manager while there who actually cared and it made working there a lot easier.

Cons

The company lacks culture and they rarely do things to show they value their employees. They constantly over work everyone and they do tons of layoffs here and there. In addition they hire the most unethical employees who continuously back stab you and fight (physically and verbally) at one another. It was a stressful environment and many times I sacrificed a weekend due to being overworked.

PNC Mortgage IT - Stuck in the dark ages

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want somewhere to "cruise" for a few years with no real expectations, this is the place for you.

Cons

Horribly outdated management, most of the directors/managers don't even understand the technology they manage (all 10+ year mainframe devs promoted because they are "due"). No effort put into getting quality employees or making sure skills are kept up to date. Very silo-ed teams, no clear responsibility for the overall products being developed.

Re-Org. You can't grow and keep good talent with such a stale group. Truthfully evaluate your teams and actually remove those that are clearly not pulling their weight. Years on job should not be the only factor for promotions, you should still have to have the required skills.

Would not recommend as a company to work for

I have been working at PNC Mortgage full-time

Pros

There are no Pros for this company.

Cons

There are too many to name

Horrible

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at PNC Mortgage

Pros

They allowed you to do Home equity loans. But your manager wont get any overrides from those loans so he discurages you to do the right thing by the customer and will try to get ride of you by taking away your assigned branches, and whe you even close more loans with less, then he will resort to terroristic tatacts to get you to leave or fired.!!!

Cons

Proccessing, Underwriting, If you did not stay 200% on the loans you were working with, they would never close. the company changed 3 Vps in the 2 years I was their, they tie your hands completlely. your customers and realtors probably will not use you again.!!! Under writers and processors mostly new!!! You end up having to train them as well!!! appraisal process is a nightmirror!!! good luck getting any one to own up to making a mistake!!! Manament could not lead a pack of hunry wolfs to fresh meet. Mostly puppets for higher ups. And finally if they want to get ride of you becasue you made the mistake of pointing out the flaws and ask for change. They will go out of thier way to trump up one of the thousands of rules that you must follow, and terminate you. Thank god for Unemployment.!!

None, they all are spun from the same cloth!!! My addvise is if you want to stay in this Now misserable business then Do not work for any of the National Banks. Profits over Quality of life or Quality of Working Conditions take presidence, Just ask any Pnc Branch Manager!!! or Loan officer., That is why almost 60% of employees said that they did not like their Jobs at PNC in 2013!!! Run Forest Run!!

Learning Experience.

Former Employee - Mortgage Operations Processor
    Former Employee - Mortgage Operations Processor

I worked at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great. Everyone comes to work wanting to perform to the best of their ability. The management staffs ensures that for personal growth and development. While I worked there I did not experience any drama, clicks, any of the components that bring down work environment.

Incentive/Bonuses for performance makes you want to go the extra mile. They're worth every effort to obtain.

Salaries are great.

Cons

Extremely High turnover. Unobtainable goals at times. Very stressful for anyone pursuing a career as a loan processor, Mortgage Loan Officer, Closer or Underwriter.

Changing policy and procedures almost every day.

The training provided taught me absolutely nothing. As a result, I struggled to perform my job responsibilities having no prior experience processing residential mortgage loans.

Loss Mitigation Underwriter

Former Employee - Short Sales for Freddie Mac in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Short Sales for Freddie Mac in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at PNC Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The family enviorment and the compensation.

Cons

Unfortunately, no room to advance.