PNM Resources

Updated August 29, 2014
2.5

PNM Resources CEO and Director Patricia K. (Pat) Vincent-Collawn
Patricia K. (Pat) Vincent-Collawn

Generally, a satisfactory place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at PNM Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work load is comfortable, when not working on a big capital project. Management is very accommodating when it comes to schedules and flex time. One day per week telecommuting is the normal, but like I said they are accommodating. Benefits are solid, the 401k is one of the best I've ever seen. 4.5% match up to 6%, on top of that they just give you 3%. Depending on what group you are in, the work can be interesting with group to move into other tools / products / areas of expertise. Also, the people are generally a good group to work with.

Cons

Coverage has been an issue since layoffs in 2009. We still have not returned to those staffing levels, this leaves some positions that lack coverage, so it is hard to take long spans of PTO.

Also on that note, many management positions were cut as well. While this leads to a high degree of autonomy if you like that, it also leaves few positions for ambitious and talented employees to grow into.

Consider adding more lower - middle management positions, or other avenues to advance valuable employees. Otherwise they will eventually look elsewhere.

slow going

Current Employee - Finance in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Finance in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at PNM Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Participate in a changing industry
    Strong safety culture
    Strong support for communities and volunteering

Cons

Work/Life Balance
    Aging technology
    Attitudes of iWe have always done it that way

Departments don't work together for efficiency and there is no consequence to protectionist management styles.

Great company until outsourcing, now not Technology focused at all

I have been working at PNM Resources full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401k Benefits are excellent
    Health Benefits are average
    Flexibility

Cons

Company is not technology focused - if an IT person, you will remain stagnant
    Too many mid to upper level managers
    Lack of growth opportunity
    Incentive pay is non-existent - except of course for mid to upper level managers
    Compensation is not equivalent to market if in Texas - everything based off Albuquerque

Management should do a better job of increasing morale and satisfaction for their employees. After outsourcing, employees are being asked to do a lot more work with fewer people and no incentive for doing so. On the plus side, the company has allowed for a more flexible environment and they should continue providing that flexibility.

Dissapointing

I worked at PNM Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many coworkers were very professional and great to work with.

Cons

Very political management style based on personalities and relationships rather than objective criteria.
    Many in senior positions, particularly in HR, are rule/policy followers rather than leaders with a vision and managerial courage.

TX Takeover Ruined the Company

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at PNM Resources full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Market Pay
    Educational Assistance
    Enjoyed working with most of my colleagues

Cons

Lost their loyalty to NM employees when TX came to town
    Very political and cliche-ish
    No recognition for finishing your degree, Bachelors or Masters

Get rid of the IT Management - they only look good because they expect folks to work 24/7.

People will work their hearts out if they feel that their manager and the company at least pretends to care about them. This company doesn't even pretend anymore.

They only like the people who are willing to sacrifice their personal time to work because there is so much work to do and not enough people to do it.

PNM Resources headed in wrong direction

I worked at PNM Resources full-time

Pros

Was a very good company until new management. Worked in organization for many years until management expanded and tried to grow too fast.

Cons

Company moral and management style got so bad I decided to go else where. Management not looking for what is best for company, but to line their own pockets.

It was a great place to work, not so anymore!

I worked at PNM Resources

Pros

Great experience, I've learned a lot and worked with some wonderful people. Pay is very good for New Mexico.

Cons

In one word, "Management." Upper management has the philosophy, "Do as I say, not as I do." All they care about is how big their bonus is going to be and how much money they make. It is all about appearances now. They've gotten rid of a lot of good people and the only ones who are left are the ones who claw their way over their co-workers and stab them in the back to get what they want. Morale is at an all time low. The company is swimming in bureaucracy thanks to an over zealous HR department. Performance plans, for example, are very arduous to complete and in the long run, don't mean a thing. The new kicker this year is that a certain percentage of employees in each department now have to get a "Needs Improvement," regardless of how the department or the individual is actually performing -- talk about de-motivating!

Quit worrying so much about yourselves and start worrying about what's really good for the company and the people who work here. We're the worst rated utility in the nation, and management wears it as a badge of honor! Quit blaming the PRC for its lack of support on rate increases and start doing the job you [emphasis on "you"] were hired to do and get paid obscenely well to do.

Senior Management is a problem

I worked at PNM Resources

Pros

Employees at Director Level and below worked hard and worked together to make the company a great place to work. Environment was team oriented with celebrated success across the company and there used to be company organized events with the focus on helping the community.

Cons

Senior Management failed to move the company into a profitable direction and started hacking up the company to make the books look good. Instead of building up, it became years of tear-down and layoffs in a very poor economy. People who should have been let go due to lack of performance were kept and good people and knowledge walked to the door. IT was outsourced to India and the place is falling apart. Management gets a huge bonus but the employees and customers pay the price. Its really unfortunate. Change Senior Management now before there isn't anything left.

Stop the greed and start giving back to the people and community you serve--you'll live a happier life. We're all given a slim opportunity to make something of ourselves and, in the end, we aren't measured by how much wealth we've acquired but what we've done for our fellow man. The work is always going to be there but its the employees you've helped along the way that really matter.

It was a good place to work.

I worked at PNM Resources

Pros

Company takes care of you.
    Good people to work with.
    It's a public utility company.

Cons

Unorganized.
    Management was not to organized.

Good place to work in NM

Current Employee - Anonymous' in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous' in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at PNM Resources

Pros

Pretty good company in Albuquerque, since the opportunites for professional is not a lot here.

Cons

It depends on your goals.

Basically, good work.