PNNL

PNNL Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

PNNL Director Michael Kluse

Michael Kluse

Pros:
  • "The work-life balance is fantastic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Casual work environment, flexible hours, numerous project opportunities"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "None if you live in the Tri-cities; if you are off-site it is a major negative strike"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Staff competence is judged on whether they can find work within the company and charges to the overhead budget is watched carefully"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interview with PNNL

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsCollaborative working environment, flexible working hours (which is similar in any national lab), aggressive research goals,

ConsLocation, it seems there is still an active nuclear reactor 20 miles away. And the city is small, there is not many interesting stuff to do. And it is far away from Portland and Seattle (3.5 hours driving), and it is in the middle of a desert, weather is not very good.

a nice place, a little boring

Scientist/Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsStable, relaxed, chance to learn new technology, friendly colleagues, pretty campus.

ConsNot much visibility. Contribution was ignored by the management. Didn't get far in term of salary and promotion.

Advice to Senior Managementnot much to say, I don't know them, they don't know me.

Excellent environment

SULI Intern (Former Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsPositive atmosphere, geared toward community and growth. The lab feels like it's own little community full of activities and family involvement. I had an amazing mentor, so my experience was especially good.

ConsThe only con is the location. Richland is beautiful, but probably the most boring city ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought the work-life balance was healthy, but then I met with one of the higher-ups and she said that if you want to move up the ranks you have to be able to put in a lot of overtime. I know she's just one manager, but I personally don't like this very American idea that you can't have a healthy family life and succeed at your job at the same time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

postdoc

Prosgood start for career. lot of facilities and can learn lot.

Consfunding pressure. most scientist was focusing on the funding, and work hard

Great place for advancement.

Scientist/Engineer I (Former Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsOpportunities to work on a lot of different projects and gain skills. Good at work-life balance. Benefits and compensation are generous. Richland is great for families.

ConsBureaucracy can get in the way of projects moving along. Richland is not the best city for young and single adults; not great night life or downtown.

PNNL was a great summer student intern experience.

SULI Intern (Former Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsThe variety of projects going on at PNNL is incredible. The projects I got to work on and learn about involved cutting edge science. The employees, both staff and management, are great people who I will have lasting connections with. As a student intern, other employees were very happy to teach me anything I needed to know about the lab, and even set up meetings where I could go view other lab space and projects just for fun.

ConsI like Richland well enough, but it is not a big city, and can be a little boring sometimes.

Interesting work - boring place to live

ProsGreat science, great people. Great equipment

ConsThere. Is. Literally. Nothing. To. Do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing the right things. The Life@PNNL stuff is a great idea and just keep expanding it.

Good run

Science Staff Member (Former Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsCollaboration with talented, hardworking research staff

Access to good-to-excellent equipment

Number of technical opportunities

Small, friendly community (particularly good for those with children or who plan to start a family)

ConsConstant search for funding wears after a while - for some it becomes a game (less about advancing science or technology and more about bringing in funding or trying to advance one's career)

The Tri-cities are a bit isolated and stifling for those who want greater social outlets

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to break the cycle of following the latest technical trends. Establish a strategy focused on developing leading technologies.

Excellent career opportunity for postdocs

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Richland, WA

ProsThe science is stimulating, the culture is very friendly, helpful, and collaborative. It's a breath of fresh air after grad school; the mentors make you feel like they trust you to get your job done without constantly watching over your shoulder. Many opportunities to be involved in science outreach efforts as well. Work schedules are flexible.

ConsDepending on the mentor, project, and funding situation, a postdoc may not have too many opportunities to expand his/her current skill set. Some postdocs end up working on something pretty similar to what they did in grad school, which makes the transition to this job easier, but at the same time this limits the growth one could have in order to qualify for a broader spectrum of jobs later on.

Good place to work in but all was worked around DOE funding

Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsFun place to work .. Benefits were great

ConsIf no funding from DOE .... Then no work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet other more stable sources of funding ... Your turn over rate is climbing .. :(

Worked for PNNL? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNNL reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PNNL CEO Michael Kluse. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by PNNL employees.