PNNL Reviews in Richland, WA

Updated September 25, 2014
3.7

PNNL Director Michael Kluse
Michael Kluse

Pros
  • The work-life balance is fantastic (in 9 reviews)

• Positive, collaborative working environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • None if you live in the Tri-cities; if you are off-site it is a major negative strike (in 4 reviews)

• Staff competence is judged on whether they can find work within the company and charges to the overhead budget is watched carefully (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great job, not great location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richland, WA

I have been working at PNNL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice and professional people to work with. Flexi-hours

Cons

Limited vacation! Salary OK but not great. The city is a very small remote town. like middle of nowhere

Poor Management, Deceptive Co-Workers

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can set your own hours and pursue your passions. Freedom to work on many different projects. Great learning environment for scientists and engineers. Keep your head down and work hard and you will be OK. Many interesting problems come your way because people are looking for solutions at the lab.

Cons

Working at PNNL is like working in an abusive relationship with management. The seem to eventually find the bad managers and get rid of them but it takes too long. Co-workers are very competitive. Marketing money sits at the top and is lightly disbursed.

Clear out from ALD and up.

PNNL Internship

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My internship at PNNL was a great experience. There was a really fun team building exercise with other interns from various backgrounds that proved to be very helpful. My mentor was very understanding about the knowledge that I had and pushed me to learn more about what I was doing through publications and other people based at PNNL. This internship helped me get a good job as a research assistant during college.

Cons

The training was very lengthy, but was to be expected in such an environment. The weather was quite warm, other than that there's really nothing to complain about.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor working environment for scientists

Current Employee - Post-Bachelors Research Associate  in  Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Post-Bachelors Research Associate in Richland, WA

I have been working at PNNL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. Money, 2. Equipment, 3. Quality of PIs

Cons

1. An institution run by clerks and secretaries. The bureaucracy kills all the fun of science., 2. The safety protocols are so excessive that they intrude into the scientists' work., 3. Due to the harsh security measures, even members of the same group are inherently distrustful of each other. 4. Do not expect to get access to labs fast enough to get any real work done if you are a short term visitor/summer intern.

No use giving advice simply because they will never make the security protocols less invasive.

A place with good research capabality

Former Employee - S&E  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - S&E in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice campus, great support staff, good benefits.

Cons

Limited resources to get research moving forward. Old boy culture limit career growth.

Company values are missing and corporate culture need to move from plans to action.

Interview with PNNL

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Richland, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Richland, WA

I have been working at PNNL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collaborative working environment, flexible working hours (which is similar in any national lab), aggressive research goals,

Cons

Location, it seems there is still an active nuclear reactor 20 miles away. And the city is small, there is not many interesting stuff to do. And it is far away from Portland and Seattle (3.5 hours driving), and it is in the middle of a desert, weather is not very good.

a nice place, a little boring

Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer II  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer II in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable, relaxed, chance to learn new technology, friendly colleagues, pretty campus.

Cons

Not much visibility. Contribution was ignored by the management. Didn't get far in term of salary and promotion.

not much to say, I don't know them, they don't know me.

Excellent environment

Former Employee - SULI Intern  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - SULI Intern in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Positive atmosphere, geared toward community and growth. The lab feels like it's own little community full of activities and family involvement. I had an amazing mentor, so my experience was especially good.

Cons

The only con is the location. Richland is beautiful, but probably the most boring city ever.

I thought the work-life balance was healthy, but then I met with one of the higher-ups and she said that if you want to move up the ranks you have to be able to put in a lot of overtime. I know she's just one manager, but I personally don't like this very American idea that you can't have a healthy family life and succeed at your job at the same time.

Great place for advancement.

Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer I  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer I in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to work on a lot of different projects and gain skills. Good at work-life balance. Benefits and compensation are generous. Richland is great for families.

Cons

Bureaucracy can get in the way of projects moving along. Richland is not the best city for young and single adults; not great night life or downtown.

PNNL was a great summer student intern experience.

Former Employee - SULI Intern  in  Richland, WA
    Former Employee - SULI Intern in Richland, WA

I worked at PNNL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The variety of projects going on at PNNL is incredible. The projects I got to work on and learn about involved cutting edge science. The employees, both staff and management, are great people who I will have lasting connections with. As a student intern, other employees were very happy to teach me anything I needed to know about the lab, and even set up meetings where I could go view other lab space and projects just for fun.

Cons

I like Richland well enough, but it is not a big city, and can be a little boring sometimes.

Worked for PNNL? Contribute to the Community!