PNY Technologies

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
2.3

Gadi Cohen

These other reviews are based on the New Jersey facility, my review is based on the San Jose Engineering Division

Current Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Excellent work-life balance
    2) Cool new technology
    3) FREE WEEKENDS!!
    4) Stress free work environment

Cons

1) Benefits could be better (but they are working on improving it)

Exact kind of challenge and company I have been looking for

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It has been nothing but exciting to be working on this challenging ground up project with PNY's enterprise storage division. The team is smaller, but I am working closely with very experienced managers and engineers. Our VP values work/life balance, which I am grateful for. I also feel proud to work for a company that makes all of their products in the US, since that is rare.

Cons

I feel that the benefits could be better but their compensation and challenge makes up for it.

Great company culture and values, good leadership, promotes work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company values, fun office culture, good work life balance, management encourages time off, no weekend work, good compensation

Cons

None really, I guess I could always ask for more compensation, but I think the compensation is good and fair

Just the kind of challenge and company I have been looking for...

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It has been nothing but exciting to work on this ground up project with PNY's new enterprise storage division. The team is smaller at the moment but it is growing, and I get to work closely with experienced managers and engineers. Our VP values work/life balance, which I am grateful for. I also feel proud to work for a company that makes all of their products in the U.S., which is rare.

Cons

I feel that the benefits could be better but the compensation/pre-IPO shares, people, and the challenge itself makes up for it.

Great Learning Experience, Great People, Culture needs improvement

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at PNY Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will learn a ton from the people in the finance department. Great exposure to all aspects of the general ledger. I came into PNY with a basic knowledge of accounting, GL & excel, and left grateful that my skills in all areas DRASTICALLY improved thanks to the people there, especially the accounting manager & controller. Within the finance department there is a lot of work to go around & you will be exposed to many things that will undoubtedly make you stronger in all areas. There are good people in the finance department that make the less-than-perfect culture seem like background noise. I was often laughing & enjoying myself, all while learning, growing, and advancing in my career.

Cons

The culture needs improvement. It all starts with the CEO, he is unapproachable and does not seem to care about his staff. Won't look you in the eye or say hello. He has created a fear-based culture that trickles down to all departments.

My advice is for the CEO to re-think the culture he has created.

Pretty loyal to its employees, you are pretty free on weekends and you can schedule a vacation almost any time.

I worked at PNY Technologies (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like the title, loyal to its employees.

Cons

The price of being loyal is that they dont pay that well.

The Worst!

Current Employee - Buyer in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Buyer in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building in a good neighborhood, close to good restaurants.

Cons

Management hates the employees, they constantly remind you that you're replaceable at every opportunity. Everyone is miserable. No one wants to be there. The turnover is very high. HR exists only to fire everyone so that they can constantly hire new people. The company's only motivational technique is to issue written warnings advising you that you're about to get fired. Heed my warning and do not work for this company. There is no training. Your effort is never appreciated. It's a nightmare.

Get out of your current business and get into prison management. Based on how you run PNY, you would likely be very good at running a prison.

Really, really bad...really, really bad!

Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at PNY Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees recognize that they work for the worst employer in NJ and they're ok to be around when they make jokes about how bad it is to work at PNY.

Cons

Extremely toxic environment. No chance for advancement. Poor compensation. When the building is forced to close due to bad weather, employees are charged a sick day. Very segregated, separate parking areas and separate entrances depending on your level in the company. Salaried employees are expected to arrive early and stay late with no recognition of effort. Hourly employees are forced to punch in and out at the exact minute that their schedule says so that no overtime is given and so that you're not written up for failing to work your whole shift. Every door in the building, including bathrooms, requires the swiping of an employee security card so that you can be tracked where you are every minute you're in the building. Security cameras record every inch of the building and parking lot...don't get caught talking to another employee when you're supposed to be working. HR works only for the CEO, not for the employees. Don't go to HR with any concerns or legitimate problems, you'll be viewed as a threat to the company and will be terminated..."It looks like we're at an impasse, bye." The job market must be awful for this company to be able to continue to get new hires. They constantly need new hires due to how bad it is to work there. It's bad, really, really bad! There are no bonuses or pay raises, not even annual cost of living increases. In the rare instance when a raise is given, you're a target to get fired because they'll be looking to replace you with someone else at a lower pay rate. A true nightmare!

Stop ruining the lives of your current and future employees and just close up.

Stay Away!!!!

Former Employee - Administrative in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at PNY Technologies

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Totally demeaning working environment! VP's are clueless as to what is going on. Management has their favorites and they let it be known! Don't even think about going to HR for help as they are at the root of all of it!! Worst company I have ever worked for.

Take ownership and do your job. Don't let HR run you...you tell them what you need and go for it

Can't believe they're still in business

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at PNY Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is in the same terrible boat. The cafeteria has good cookies.

Cons

Everything else, senior management, compensation. Those left working here must just be extremely desperate. It's really a culture of fear, everyone is terrified they'll be fired at a moment's notice, but no one likes the company enough to do more than a passable job.

Treat your employees with respect and make them feel like they are part of a team, not just the scum you have to pass by to get to your office.

PNY Technologies Photos