PODS

John Koch

Change is taking place

Sales (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsPODS is growing. The company hired a new VP for the call center, who is making come great changes to the environment. Also hired a new training director...!Company had a record years in 2013 and from what I hear, we are ahead of our plan for this year. I know that the commission plan changed, but the company continues to do the right thing when it comes to making sure that we get paid from our sales and meeting our goals. For the most part the supervisors are there for us and offer as much help as we need to meet our goals.

ConsThere is a lot of shifting in the pay plan, seems like we are making adjustments, but I hear they are good. A lot of pressure is placed on everyone to meet sales goals. A couple of the managers in the call center might need to go... Facilities need to be updated, but they are working on them now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing to make the call center a better place to work. Actually listen to us, we do have some good ideas...

A down hill spiral

Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsPlenty of overtime, advancement opportunites, decent base pay.

ConsIt saddens me to have to write a poor review for this company because not 6 months ago I was singing it's praises. Not only did they take a borderline impossible attendance policy and make it harder they also cut our bonus by more than half. The company is definately not going broke with 100 mile moves costing in the thousands so I don't get it. I feel like they are trying to anger us, trying to see just how far they can push. They give PTO and floating holidays but then deny requests "due to business needs" all the time, it doesn't matter how far in advance you ask if it isn't December you aren't going anywhere. By the time it is said and done I will have the whole month of December off paid so maybe I will get happy then. I could go on and on but I will just say that my awesome job has turned to crap since December

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the new guy. He made some terrible decisions that have made for some extremely unhappy employees. Cutting the pay of your good employees to make room for the mediocre ones to get paid is a horrible logic. And for god's sake have ACTUAL supervisors answer the supervisor phone. Please, Im begging. Calling a supe line and getting an agent who has been here less time than I and having to explain why they are wrong is so frustrating I can't even explain. I would love to not have to call 8 times to get a discount above 10% "Oh jee, sorry I only have the same ability as you if not less. Better luck next time is not a response I need to hear.

Worst experiance ever

Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsSome supervisors are getting better but senior managers are totally unaware of how hard we work

ConsManagers don't care about the workers. They only care about impossible goals and keep us on the phones without giving us breaks to go to the bathroom. The pressure to produce doesn't ever stop and the pay and benefits aren't enough to make it worth it. Senior management is clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop planting positive reviews because they sound fake and no one I know believes them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some things never change

Sales (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsHa! Well, I did meet a good friend.

ConsJust compare some of the negative reviews from 2011/2012 to current negative reviews. They are the same! I can't believe it. Similar, even down to the bathroom breaks. Don't believe any claims that changes are coming...unless they've done something drastic and sold the company or went public. Seasonal staff don't finish their assignment...they get fired for some other reason initiated by management, probably so they won't have to pay unemployment benefits. They come on here and try to blame the employee for being disgruntled. They try to come on here and say the disgruntled employee is not cut-out for sales, instead of reviewing their own processes. Classic bad management. Most of your employees should not fail. Sales should not be "cut-throat" which actually means murderer. Sales should be competitive and challenging, yet achieveable with skill. Many of the seasonal staff that came on with me, including myself, have now moved on to permanent fulfilling jobs in sales and elsewhere. We agree that we should have skipped this PODS opportunity (if you want to call it that) all together.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your dirty business practices.

Stressful...

Universal Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

Prosnice checks, friendly coworkers, good commission, helpful, determined, great for those good at sales, great training, supportive, ability to move up in the company, steady hours.

ConsLong distance is extremely hard to sell, cannot stay in local moves, was very difficult to hit all points while keeping the client in a good mood, the sales goals for long distance is outrageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would make it to where some people are able to stay in local if they are doing really well in it.

They're not sure where they're going...

ProsUnique product - should be easy to sell

ConsInconsistent leadership! Especially the SVP's and up....

Micromanagement and lack of job security

Senior Sales (Former Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsWell, the money used to be worth it, but that's no longer the case. I guess the benefits were alright

ConsThis is the most stressful job I have ever had. Environment of fear makes you physically sick - not to mention that the place is like a Petri dish with the flu, colds, etc. One employee died of the swine flu while I was there. They choose to use threats of being fired constantly as motivation rather than using incentives as a positive motivation. They don't trust the employees to be able to handle a job a monkey could do. They cut the commission plan by around 40% and tell employees that it's just the way it is. I can't even explain how much better I feel since I quit. I have no idea why I stayed so long. The company is being shopped around for sale, so it's a very unstable, nervous environment, and they want to make it look profitable, but at the employee's expense! They always say how they want to make the "Best places to work in Tampa Bay" list, but they do nothing to bring that to fruition. They definitely topped the charts on my personal "Worst Places I've worked" list. It was funny, they put a hiring ad in the paper that said "Best Place to Work!" But with no source, (Forbes, St. Pete times, employee survey, etc) they just decided for themselves and put it in print - hilarious. Do yourself a favor and find a company that will appreciate your hard work, foster your growth, and make you feel like a legitimate part of the organization. You deserve better!

Advice to Senior ManagementJump ship! You are micromanaging employees for pennies, and I know the pressure is on you too, but trust me, you can find a place where your efforts for efficient management will actually be rewarded and your employees won't resent you

Pods Regime: Threats of Being Fired Everyday - Don't Get Sick or You're Fired!

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)
    Largo, FL

ProsFriendly coworkers who were consoling.

ConsI was there for a month in early 2014 and had the flu the whole time. The flu started as soon as I got there and ended as soon as I left. We started with 18 people in training class and three made it after I left / was let go.

They hire 'seasonal' so they don't have to pay the benefits, and let them go later in the year saying they are not making stats or 'seasonal' although they hire right back up a few months later, and their 'season' is six months long. I would never vote this company a Top Florida company, that is a joke. And the CEO even asked us to on the first day.

I got very, very sick and made it through many days of 1's and 2's on the job, just so they wouldn't fire me due to their ridiculous attendance policy. Otherwise I would have stayed home I haven't been that sick since I was a kid.

On the days the flu was too bad, I left early for half a day ( twice ) and a full day once ( with doctor's note ).

They fired me. Even though I had better than average conversion and was never late once. This place is run by a bunch of aggressive supervisors who are constantly threatening you with termination if you don't follow this rule or that rule or get this conversion etc.

The CEO said he wanted us to vote them "Employer of the Year" on the first day - lol uh no.

Everything that we were told came out as a lie, slowly but surely you realised you're in an everyday low-life call center like every other telemarketing center. Except this one offers "benefits" they say, albeit it hides benefits after a six month "season". It's not a sales season, its a hiring season. Very different and for very different, ulterior reasons.

They EVEN had us make a video 'commercial' on the second day about how we 'LOVE' Pods, even though we didn't have any idea what its like to work there yet. That is what worried me first, it seemed like a propaganda film in the making. They said they were going to take the video and put it on YouTube, yet hadn't mentioned anything about being videotaped / recorded to us - as soon as they finished taping they said to look at the employment agreement if we have a problem with it. Wow.

What are you going to say? Well I said it here.

This company sucks and doesn't deserve the single star I gave it. Don't waste your time.
    This company is run incorrectly and is Fascist-run in my opinion and does not care about its employees. I think they are trying to go big, so its kill the rats to feed the board members type of situation.

It seems like a very 'un-American' company based on my experience. I would not suggest it to anyone who isn't a robot or who isn't required to get a job out of parole or something. Their motto is, "If you're not early you're late." So if you're on time, like I was, you're fired. Get real, and stop faking like your a good company. If the CEO really believes that, I feel bad for him.

The only thing I miss were my compatriots who went through that crap with me, some of them were excellent individuals who also didn't deserve the treatment they got.

Advice to Senior ManagementHere is the non-expletive version, not that you deserve any advice:

Get your act together, get some real trainers, real training materials, a real software ( from this millenium ) to work on, clean your air ducts and dirty water machines, and stop firing people over a total of only two days who are actually, really sick, who just don't want to poop on your floors. Yes, you're welcome. Your company would have sucked to work at anyway but at least I wouldn't air your dirty laundry on GlassDoor. If you hadn't been so lame I wouldn't have been forced to give you any stars on here. Make sense?

Great place to work

Storage Center Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has great benefits, drivers can make a decent wage and be home every night. Good training, vacation time grows every year your with the company, most drivers are a help and will help out when needed.

ConsService for equipment is not great. Such as when truck goes out of service you get it back the next day from service provider and it still will have the same problem you when you drop it off. Or worse its setting in the shop and not being worked on at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement your going to have good managers that care and those that do not like any other job.

A great place to work?

Senior Sales (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsThe pros are a goner

ConsSo, you cut my commission by 42%, you nickel and dime me by taking away my petty change I was making on ancillary products and I should be gung ho about pods? Dream on!

Advice to Senior ManagementDId you take a 42% pay cut?

Worked for PODS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PODS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PODS CEO John Koch. All 48 reviews posted anonymously by PODS employees.