POP
popagency.com Seattle, WA 150 to 499 Employees

POP Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Bill Predmore

Excellent talent and fantastic opportunities.

Senior Designer (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros• I've worked with POP as a remote freelance senior designer on and off since 2011. I've worked with many other agencies (large and small) and POP is honestly one of my favorites to work with. They nail it on both a team member and a project level.

• There are some amazing Art and Creative Directors that know how to motivate and inspire. Mind-blowing work comes out of these collaborations. I get fired up and inspired working with these people. It's what makes me love my job.

• I've had some killer opportunities to work on cool projects with fun clients.

• POP has always treated me well. I get paid on time per our contract.

Cons95% of the time the POP team members are fantastic at their jobs. Being a remote contract designer, stellar communication is essential. In general, PMs are amazing schedulers and communicators. Same for Art Directors. However, every once in awhile I come across someone that isn't up to snuff, but it's few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe POP Star awards are brilliant. It is very rewarding to receive one. I love that contractors can earn them too. I'd love to get feedback from my team members on what I can improve so that I make sure I'm at the top of my game to get more work with POP.

A great agency for contract/freelance work

Pros- Very good list of clients and projects
    - Contractor pay rate is competitive
    - Collaborative work environment when working on user experience solutions.
    - PM’s are almost always top notch and manage communications very well.
    - HR and Project sourcing is very reliable, flexible
    - One of the few top-tier marketing agencies that supports remote working for senior-level contractors

Cons- Team members occasionally isolate outside contractors from full project engagement.
    - Assigned projects can get delayed/moved on short notice. A few are resourced incorrectly, and you’re never utilized for work. These events force a contractor like myself to scramble or double book in the future to make up for the difference.
    - Like other agencies, you may find yourself having to crank out a lot of deliverables in an extremely short timespan to meet expectations set by the company. It’s the job, but it can be a “con” if it’s continuous.

Advice to Senior ManagementI’ve been working for POP for quite a long time as an outside contractor. Generally I’ve been pretty happy working for them. I hope they consider expanding their capabilities with remote working in the future, especially for international project opportunities.

A good experience if you know what you're getting yourself into

ProsNice office
    Fun people
    Big name clients

ConsClicky - Feels like high school at times
    Pay is average
    More concerned with bringing work in than turning excellent work out

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter reward your long term employees before they leave for greener pastures.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Seattle, WA

ProsBeautiful office filled with really nice people. Employee events are frequent and fun. The vibes were positive, and it was a very nice place to go to work for 4+ years. I think fondly of my time there and wouldn't mind working at POP again in the future.

ConsAs others have mentioned, POP is not the most transparent place. The political environment takes a while to figure out. Also, prospects for career development are not always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't have much experience with the CEO, but I regularly interacted with other members of the exec team...and they were great. Keep up the good work!

Great work, great people!

Interactive Architect (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPOP is one of the best agencies to work for in Seattle (and probably Costa Rica). It was certainly the best agency that I've worked for. They have a top notch list of clients, great employees and excellent offices in both Seattle and Costa Rica.

ConsThe cons about working at POP are inherent to any agency job. All the work comes at once so sometimes the hours are very long; no single process works for every client so there is a lot of process overhead; and you don't necessarily get to feel ownership of a particular product as projects tend to be very short.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee—that you wish to keep as an employee—asks you for something very specific don't wait until they put in their notice before you offer it to them.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPOP does a pretty great job at hiring super smart folks. You can place a pretty good bet on the fact that the people working there know what they're doing. POP hires people not only based on their skills, but also on who they are as people. I always appreciated that about the company - I met some of my best friends and most trusted cohorts there.

The culture is really great. They do their best job at creating a nice backdrop for community and creativity. Wins are consistently celebrated and they do their best to keep morale high.

Because they have made a big name for themselves, they continue to win exciting work.

ConsThe structure of the company is continuing to improve, but there have been problems in the past related to said structure. I think the company has a little way to go as far as getting a solid executive structure in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring awesome people. Reward individuals for their hard work! Recognize the reasons that people tend to quit - it usually has more to do with managerial individuals than anything.

The Disneyland of Sweatshops

Client Engagement (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe culture is well crafted. Lots of happy-hours, free t-shirts and gift-card and ticket giveaways.

ConsLeadership is incredibly manipulative and understands fully how to encourage you to over-deliver and over-commit yourself to an unhealthy degree. Their trick? They are acutely aware of the value derived in each hour you work beyond 40 each week that are perfectly billable to clients. Does your salary increase accordingly, nope. So many people come in, drink the Kool-Aid for a few months and then realize that their nights and weekends are far too valuable and that their commitment to work is questioned if they are not 80-90% billable/utilized. Leadership knows full-well that every hour you work is billable to clients and that they reap all of the financial reward, while you sweat it out. If constant pressure for utilization without the ability to advance in your career (well except for some free Sounders tickets and a free Popsquatch t-shirt) are your thing, then Pop is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at what you have created and try to find a constructive way out. You have not built a sustainable model for a workplace and people are getting hurt. Take some responsibility for your actions, restructure accordingly and get back to doing smart, creative and innovative work without hurting the very team of people that does it for you.

Thin Veneer of 'Cool', Nightmare on the Inside.

(Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsAmazing 'sense' of culture and unbelievably nice office space (assuming you like the open-office environment thing).

ConsUnfortunately, the carefully curated culture and beautiful office space are designed to distract you from the realities of how POP works. It will take you just a few months to realize what you have signed up for. Over time you will discover a powerfully manipulative and incompetent leadership that us inexplicably guarded and regularly enabled by the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance Publications (new silent owners of POP) should come to Seattle, sit down with leadership and take a very close look at what's going on. They should seriously consider hiring an actual CEO and qualified executives. The current CEO fostering a toxic leadership environment and directly limiting the growth of POP by doing so. Decisive, swift action to course-correct may save POP from the present downward spiral. I would also recommend that management think carefully about who sits at the executive table and the hidden, inside culture that is being maintained. Many, presently at that table, are home grown and do not understand how to do more than defend their position. Others are so poor at their discipline and blinded by their own egos that clients have requested them off of their business. I think it's time for a makeover.

great people, great company

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsI thoroughly enjoyed working with the people at POP. Pretty much everyone I worked with from PM, to designer, to developer, were professional and good at what they did. The work space was modern and well done - they had a foosball table, ping pong table, awesome kitchen, etc.

ConsAs with pretty much any agency, some of the work may not be always be a great fit with what one enjoys. I encountered this, but still enjoyed working at POP and would recommend them as an agency or an employer.

A good place to get your start in the industry. Lackluster for experienced professionals

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat clients, engaging projects and amazing talent

ConsLow pay
    Out of touch, inexperienced executive team (only worked at POP)
    Culture of just giving in to client whims, regardless of what's really best for their needs (fear-based decision making from executive team)

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some conviction, and not just go for CYA strategies

Worked for POP? Contribute to the Community!

POP Videos

POP – Why Work for Us?

We deliver substance—not stunts. We help our clients solve real-world business problems by conceiving and creating experiences that are driven by consumer insights, centered on the needs of users and designed to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at POP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for POP CEO Bill Predmore. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by POP employees.