POP Reviews

Bill Predmore

1. A Great Agency

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A super-agile shop, full of very smart people. This is an ideal work environment for creative types who love to always be learning and doing something new.

Cons

Project managers don't always give sufficient hours to complete projects, so I sometimes had to complete work at night (off the books).

Hire (and promote) more women.

Smoke & Mirrors

I worked at POP

Pros

Nice office space, generally nice people.

Cons

POP likes to pretend it can compete with the big boys, but so far, it hasn't been able to. Don't be fooled by the fancy office and the handful of big clients it name drops. They are constantly in a panic state between chasing new clients and trying to keep the ones they have.

As a creative, the majority of the work you will do will be boring. Think banner ads and email campaigns. Sure, a few big site redesign projects come through the door a few times a year but that work is given to a select few. Oh, and you'll probably be assigned to one client and if they tell you you can switch to a new one when you're sick of it, don't believe them. It either won't happen or it will take years.

Not to mention there's a serious lack of gender diversity in the creative department. especially in leadership positions.

Creative team, get a voice and stand behind it. Strive to do great work, not just meet client expectations. Don't be afraid to push the boundaries.

And hire more women.

3. Best experience

I worked at POP

Pros

pay and hours were good

Cons

not nice co workers and management

5. Do Your Homework. Know the Facts.

Former Employee - Client Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office space is beautiful and the sense of belonging is overwhelmingly good. It's safe to say they spend a great deal of time making sure people feel happy woking there.

Cons

Leadership suffers from a gigantic collective ego and forced to chase unrealistic goals that regularly overshadow their ability to do good work. They struggle to provide employees the space to learn, grow and thrive. The truth is that Pop does good work. Their design capabilities are exceptional and they pride themselves on staying current with technology in a manner that benefits clients. Those aside, they suffer from being forced to constantly chase project work and squeeze as many hours out of their existing employees to maintain healthy margins. POP has an incredibly high turnover rate (be sure to ask what it is) and seems perfectly fine with having people come and go. Be careful, they have a documented reputation exercising their non-compete agreement, a near inevitability should you choose to continue working in the Seattle area, after POP.

Challenge yourself to run a business you can be proud of some day. Find a way to be respected in the business community and by your employees alike.

6. Sr Interactive Developer

Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive and talented team, great benefits, wide variety of projects, both large and small. Communication with upper management was also very smooth and friendly, with feedback noted. Also, really great pay!

Cons

In some respects the technology could be better integrated across disciplines, with more of a nod towards open source and away from dated, proprietary tools.

Ditch the Microsoft stack and diversify your holdings.

Excellent talent and fantastic opportunities.

Current Contractor - Senior Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Senior Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at POP as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

• I've worked with POP as a remote freelance senior designer on and off since 2011. I've worked with many other agencies (large and small) and POP is honestly one of my favorites to work with. They nail it on both a team member and a project level.

• There are some amazing Art and Creative Directors that know how to motivate and inspire. Mind-blowing work comes out of these collaborations. I get fired up and inspired working with these people. It's what makes me love my job.

• I've had some killer opportunities to work on cool projects with fun clients.

• POP has always treated me well. I get paid on time per our contract.

Cons

95% of the time the POP team members are fantastic at their jobs. Being a remote contract designer, stellar communication is essential. In general, PMs are amazing schedulers and communicators. Same for Art Directors. However, every once in awhile I come across someone that isn't up to snuff, but it's few and far between.

The POP Star awards are brilliant. It is very rewarding to receive one. I love that contractors can earn them too. I'd love to get feedback from my team members on what I can improve so that I make sure I'm at the top of my game to get more work with POP.

A great agency for contract/freelance work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at POP as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Very good list of clients and projects
    - Contractor pay rate is competitive
    - Collaborative work environment when working on user experience solutions.
    - PM’s are almost always top notch and manage communications very well.
    - HR and Project sourcing is very reliable, flexible
    - One of the few top-tier marketing agencies that supports remote working for senior-level contractors

Cons

- Team members occasionally isolate outside contractors from full project engagement.
    - Assigned projects can get delayed/moved on short notice. A few are resourced incorrectly, and you’re never utilized for work. These events force a contractor like myself to scramble or double book in the future to make up for the difference.
    - Like other agencies, you may find yourself having to crank out a lot of deliverables in an extremely short timespan to meet expectations set by the company. It’s the job, but it can be a “con” if it’s continuous.

I’ve been working for POP for quite a long time as an outside contractor. Generally I’ve been pretty happy working for them. I hope they consider expanding their capabilities with remote working in the future, especially for international project opportunities.

Great work, great people!

Former Employee - Interactive Architect in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Architect in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

POP is one of the best agencies to work for in Seattle (and probably Costa Rica). It was certainly the best agency that I've worked for. They have a top notch list of clients, great employees and excellent offices in both Seattle and Costa Rica.

Cons

The cons about working at POP are inherent to any agency job. All the work comes at once so sometimes the hours are very long; no single process works for every client so there is a lot of process overhead; and you don't necessarily get to feel ownership of a particular product as projects tend to be very short.

If an employee—that you wish to keep as an employee—asks you for something very specific don't wait until they put in their notice before you offer it to them.

A good experience if you know what you're getting yourself into

I worked at POP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office
    Fun people
    Big name clients

Cons

Clicky - Feels like high school at times
    Pay is average
    More concerned with bringing work in than turning excellent work out

Better reward your long term employees before they leave for greener pastures.

Great place to work

I worked at POP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office filled with really nice people. Employee events are frequent and fun. The vibes were positive, and it was a very nice place to go to work for 4+ years. I think fondly of my time there and wouldn't mind working at POP again in the future.

Cons

As others have mentioned, POP is not the most transparent place. The political environment takes a while to figure out. Also, prospects for career development are not always clear.

I didn't have much experience with the CEO, but I regularly interacted with other members of the exec team...and they were great. Keep up the good work!