POP Reviews

3.7
Bill Predmore

Great people; interesting work

I worked at POP full-time

Pros

A great group of folks who always want to do great work. The passion is contagious and the challenges are diverse. There aren't many places POP's size where you can conceive an idea, design it and ship it with the same group of people. This is not a shop that bangs out the same website over and over again for different clients. Leadership is fortunately always looking for the next challenge. Work/life balance is great if you want it to be.

Cons

It can be hard to hone a craft when every engagement is so varied. There's a fine line between "exciting new challenge" and "fire drill." Working on several projects at once can kill focus.

Advice to Management

Share the vision with employees and inspire them to buy into and extend it; don't feel like you have to come out of the gate with a fully-baked agenda every time.

2. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office space, open floor plan - WFH options.

Cons

Non to report, good company

A place I enjoy being at 8 hours/day.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As long as you like stylish stark white interiors (I do), the office is super great. The people here are one of the top selling points for me, as is the great work/life balance (Seeing lots of complaints on work/life here. I don't know many people who consistently have to work nights and weekends against their will.) The pay is decent. While a lot of people may feel that they are not tended to as individuals, there is an admirable effort to do things for the company as a whole (movie days, ice cream treats on Fridays during the summer months, lunch provided for special occasions, etc). POP is a place I enjoy being at 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I very rarely dread coming in. That seems significant.

Cons

POP has been having an identity crisis for a few years now, and it's really hurting the employees. They want to be a top-tier "creative marketing agency", but can't seem to stop operating as a production shop. The work is largely boring and if you're lucky, you get an occasional larger project that you can really get into, feel ownership of, and be proud of. (I'm not convinced this is different at any other agency, without sacrificing the afore-mentioned work/life balance or general day-to-day enjoyment.) Resourcing is a problem though, with people getting shuffled around on and off projects seemingly on a whim, and this makes it very difficult to take pride in the work you do much of the time. Creative Leadership doesn't really seem to care much about individuals, and voicing complaints or concerns often time feels like yelling into a vast dark void.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, on an individual level. Make them feel heard, and give them confidence that action will be taken from their input. And if action can not be taken, be upfront about the reasons. If you want POP to be a top-tier agency you need to be doing top-tier work. Having a list of really impressive brand logos on your Clients page doesn't mean anything if you don't have really innovative, creative work to back it up.

Meh

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space Good people Nice perks and okay benefits

Cons

Ineffective leadership Burdensome process Uninspiring work A bit soulless Lack of work/life balance

Advice to Management

Process is heavy and routinely changing with no explanation or reflection on effectiveness shared across agency. Leadership also does not show empathy or concern for employees. Company lacks a good, supportive culture but pretends like they have it with smoke and mirrors.

Be Forewarned

Former Employee - Client Partner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Killer collection of logos within client case studies, but none terribly current or long-lasting. POP is a place capable of incredible stunts that lack the substance, sustainability or vision akin to bigger shops.

Cons

Homegrown leadership is regularly praised for small, expected achievements, made by the actual talent (you) and governed by a self-proclaimed Steve Jobs-like CEO, who is more occupied by his beloved women's soccer team (achieved by selling his company) than by establishing true business growth and nurturing leadership

Advice to Management

Smelling salts.

Pop was a great experience

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a ton in a short amount of time on a wide variety of projects. Not only are the people at POP very talented they are also very friendly and collaborative. Overall a great place to work at.

Cons

Well it's agency life, so sometimes it's crunch time and you don't get to maybe give the attention to details you would like to be able to. And you work long hours. And sometimes things are a little slow and you have to be self driven to improve/train yourself.

A Great Mid-Sized Agency

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful work environment, great benefits, collaborative team members, impressive client brands – and the closest that i have come to work-life balance in the agency world. There is also a good representation of women on the executive team, a little less than 50/50, more than I have seen at other agencies. POP’s been great in giving me projects that really challenge me and allow me to grow my skills. And I love my team!

Cons

Work can be demanding, and then it can get slow. Like most digital agencies, it requires a consistent pipeline of new opportunities. When things get slow, people get nervous, even when new wins are coming in.

Advice to Management

Keep your staff challenged and learning, especially when project work slows down.

Smoke & Mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Nice office space, generally nice people.

Cons

POP likes to pretend it can compete with the big boys, but so far, it hasn't been able to. Don't be fooled by the fancy office and the handful of big clients it name drops. They are constantly in a panic state between chasing new clients and trying to keep the ones they have. As a creative, the majority of the work you will do will be boring. Think banner ads and email campaigns. Sure, a few big site redesign projects come through the door a few times a year but that work is given to a select few. Oh, and you'll probably be assigned to one client and if they tell you you can switch to a new one when you're sick of it, don't believe them. It either won't happen or it will take years. Not to mention there's a serious lack of gender diversity in the creative department. especially in leadership positions.

Advice to Management

Creative team, get a voice and stand behind it. Strive to do great work, not just meet client expectations. Don't be afraid to push the boundaries. And hire more women.

A Great Agency

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A super-agile shop, full of very smart people. This is an ideal work environment for creative types who love to always be learning and doing something new.

Cons

Project managers don't always give sufficient hours to complete projects, so I sometimes had to complete work at night (off the books).

Advice to Management

Hire (and promote) more women.

Sr Interactive Developer

Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at POP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive and talented team, great benefits, wide variety of projects, both large and small. Communication with upper management was also very smooth and friendly, with feedback noted. Also, really great pay!

Cons

In some respects the technology could be better integrated across disciplines, with more of a nod towards open source and away from dated, proprietary tools.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Microsoft stack and diversify your holdings.

RSS Feed </> Embed