POP

Bill Predmore

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

I worked at POP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBeautiful office filled with really nice people. Employee events are frequent and fun. The vibes were positive, and it was a very nice place to go to work for 4+ years. I think fondly of my time there and wouldn't mind working at POP again in the future.

ConsAs others have mentioned, POP is not the most transparent place. The political environment takes a while to figure out. Also, prospects for career development are not always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't have much experience with the CEO, but I regularly interacted with other members of the exec team...and they were great. Keep up the good work!

A good experience if you know what you're getting yourself into

ProsNice office
Fun people
Big name clients

ConsClicky - Feels like high school at times
Pay is average
More concerned with bringing work in than turning excellent work out

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter reward your long term employees before they leave for greener pastures.

Great work, great people!

Interactive Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at POP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPOP is one of the best agencies to work for in Seattle (and probably Costa Rica). It was certainly the best agency that I've worked for. They have a top notch list of clients, great employees and excellent offices in both Seattle and Costa Rica.

ConsThe cons about working at POP are inherent to any agency job. All the work comes at once so sometimes the hours are very long; no single process works for every client so there is a lot of process overhead; and you don't necessarily get to feel ownership of a particular product as projects tend to be very short.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee—that you wish to keep as an employee—asks you for something very specific don't wait until they put in their notice before you offer it to them.

The Disneyland of Sweatshops

Client Engagement (Former Employee)

I worked at POP full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture is well crafted. Lots of happy-hours, free t-shirts and gift-card and ticket giveaways.

ConsLeadership is incredibly manipulative and understands fully how to encourage you to over-deliver and over-commit yourself to an unhealthy degree. Their trick? They are acutely aware of the value derived in each hour you work beyond 40 each week that are perfectly billable to clients. Does your salary increase accordingly, nope. So many people come in, drink the Kool-Aid for a few months and then realize that their nights and weekends are far too valuable and that their commitment to work is questioned if they are not 80-90% billable/utilized. Leadership knows full-well that every hour you work is billable to clients and that they reap all of the financial reward, while you sweat it out. If constant pressure for utilization without the ability to advance in your career (well except for some free Sounders tickets and a free Popsquatch t-shirt) are your thing, then Pop is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at what you have created and try to find a constructive way out. You have not built a sustainable model for a workplace and people are getting hurt. Take some responsibility for your actions, restructure accordingly and get back to doing smart, creative and innovative work without hurting the very team of people that does it for you.

Thin Veneer of 'Cool', Nightmare on the Inside.

I worked at POP full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing 'sense' of culture and unbelievably nice office space (assuming you like the open-office environment thing).

ConsUnfortunately, the carefully curated culture and beautiful office space are designed to distract you from the realities of how POP works. It will take you just a few months to realize what you have signed up for. Over time you will discover a powerfully manipulative and incompetent leadership that us inexplicably guarded and regularly enabled by the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance Publications (new silent owners of POP) should come to Seattle, sit down with leadership and take a very close look at what's going on. They should seriously consider hiring an actual CEO and qualified executives. The current CEO fostering a toxic leadership environment and directly limiting the growth of POP by doing so. Decisive, swift action to course-correct may save POP from the present downward spiral. I would also recommend that management think carefully about who sits at the executive table and the hidden, inside culture that is being maintained. Many, presently at that table, are home grown and do not understand how to do more than defend their position. Others are so poor at their discipline and blinded by their own egos that clients have requested them off of their business. I think it's time for a makeover.

great people, great company

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at POP full-time for more than a year

ProsI thoroughly enjoyed working with the people at POP. Pretty much everyone I worked with from PM, to designer, to developer, were professional and good at what they did. The work space was modern and well done - they had a foosball table, ping pong table, awesome kitchen, etc.

ConsAs with pretty much any agency, some of the work may not be always be a great fit with what one enjoys. I encountered this, but still enjoyed working at POP and would recommend them as an agency or an employer.

A good place to get your start in the industry. Lackluster for experienced professionals

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at POP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat clients, engaging projects and amazing talent

ConsLow pay
Out of touch, inexperienced executive team (only worked at POP)
Culture of just giving in to client whims, regardless of what's really best for their needs (fear-based decision making from executive team)

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some conviction, and not just go for CYA strategies

Unwilling to hire junior positions in main office

Seattle, WA

I have been working at POP full-time for more than a year

ProsThe type of projects are getting are getting more and more complex and challenging. Great culture but it is getting lost as company grows.

ConsTrying to move all junior jobs out of country.
No clear paths to move up in company.
Only hiring senior positions to help figure out how to move work off-shore.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentoring and training of employees is only going to become a harder problem as more off-shore employees come on. Figure out how to solve the problem in Seattle first.

The people are talented and it is a collaborative work environment.

I have been working at POP

ProsThe collaboration between teams is awesome. There's a a great attitude of figuring out how to make something work without getting too bogged down by crazy client requests.

ConsThe project management team has a few stars, but overall the team lacks in skills. There needs to be basic deliverables for every project.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen the PM team since they can make a project great or miserable. Put solid leaders in the management roles.

Best work experience of my career

I have been working at POP

ProsPOP has assembled a team of talented, creative, fun and respectful people who enjoy what they do and create great work for clients. The physical workspace is gorgeous. The roster of brands that POP works with is impressive.

ConsWhile rare, one con I will mention is the occasional, less-than-stellar personal interaction, however this would be the case in any workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share information openly with staff.

Worked for POP? Contribute to the Community!

POP Videos

POP – Why Work for Us?

We deliver substance—not stunts. We help our clients solve real-world business problems by conceiving and creating experiences that are driven by consumer insights, centered on the needs of users and designed to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at POP reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for POP CEO Bill Predmore. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by POP employees.