POWER Engineers Reviews

1. Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Portland, OR

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

Lots of different clients and varied projects. Relaxed work environment. Good management.

Cons

Base Pay is a bit low but bonuses bring it back in line with the going rate.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining good people who are early in their career.

2. Great internship

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

Fun staff, flexible dress code

Cons

cubicle work, monotonous tasks and duties

3. Great Place.

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

Chill Environment
    Good Pay
    Lots of work
    Future Stability

Cons

I was told grad school would be paid for and then it came time to take classes and there were too many hoops to jump through and eventually it was declined.

5. Used to be a Good Company

Former Employee - Tier II Info Tech in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Tier II Info Tech in Boise, ID

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, Okay pay, nothing great. Some folks believe the lack of a dress code is a good thing, I don't.

Cons

just because you work for them for 15+ yrs does not make you a good manager at all. Was an awesome atmosphere of learning, and sharing, then they brought in a CIO that doesn't know anything about IT, but was a project manager at Micron, His Deputy managers were like being mayor of a small town, everyone seems to get their chance if they work there long enough. The only problem, 17 yrs as a glorified Draftsman, does not make you a good IT manager, in fact, I have seen shift leaders at McDonalds that had more class and leadership abilities.
    They ran off all the good employees that believed in hard work, and had a strong ethic. Now they like to swill down beers at lunch

Advice to Management

Need to blow their IT department out and start over. You would be better off outsourcing than the crap you have now

6. Good

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

Work hard..lots things to do

Cons

Pay just okay...long hour and OT pay later

7. Staff Assistant

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate Culture is relaxed and flexible. Mission is work hard but have fun. Decent Benefits.

Cons

No room for personal growth. Salary low for the area. Our office location didn't have the same company culture mentality. Management at our office location did not value those that had dedication to the company and overlooked the many hats the Staff Assistants and Admin supporters wears to run the office.

8. Only at the Cincinnati office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

The multitude of diverse staff.

Cons

This office is still holding onto its former ideals even though it was bought by POWER in 2013. There is no drive to gain new clients. You are mostly left in the dark about how the company is really doing here.

The staff is very set in its ways and there is no room to grow professionally. If you don't like change and love being surrounded by negative people, this might be the place for you.

POWER overall seems like a great laid-back company to work for but just not at this location.

Advice to Management

Accept the culture of POWER and allow your employees the opportunity to grow.

9. Great atmosphere, truly care about their employees, could improve on retention strategies.

Current Employee - Engineer III in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Meridian, ID

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is laid back and promotes a strong work ethic through employee ownership and responsibility on projects. People genuinely feel part of a team and want to see the team succeed. Benefits are well above average, emphasis on employee morale throughout the company is a definite positive. Overtime is there for those who want it but not expected for fear of penalty. Variety of projects and potential to travel (in general given as an option) is a nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation is average to below average for the field, tends to matchup with cost of living at least for some of the offices. People who leave the company and return later or are recruited from other firms tend to be paid more than those who have been with the company for the same duration, often considerably more. This does not instill a positive "retention" atmosphere or view by the employee that career advancement within POWER is financially rewarding until possibly becoming a stockholder which is also often given to those from other firms as a recruiting tool.

Advice to Management

While it is known that bringing in senior talent, or talent in their prime can sometimes require aggressive offers it is important to remember to reward current talent on a comparable scale. Failure to do so tends to bring forth a mindset from current employees that they are either not learning enough as they develop within POWER or have to leave the company in order to meet their financial goals. As the company continues to grow and the culture/atmosphere potentially changes good employees will not be able to continue to rationalize turning down lucrative offers elsewhere.

Probably a great company, but they laid me off before I could find out.

Current Employee - Engineer II
    Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seems to be a good corporate culture in general with lots of travel and movement possible. Definitely in the black financially.

Cons

Unfortunately, they're in the habit of making promises they can't (or simply won't) keep. My previous company was bought out by Power, who let most people in the office keep their jobs, besides some in management who were billing a majority of overhead for timesheet management, etc. We were told the plan was to expand our office in the coming years to be several dozen to a hundred people. We were finishing engineering contracts for the local utility and preparing to get more signed the following week ( which would have led to about a years' worth of work), when HR representatives came and told us that the company had identified several main areas to focus on, moving forward, and that we did not happen to be one of them. They gave us about 3 weeks to finish the project, but took away our interns (who we needed, as they were signing off on several documents) the week after they told us we were being let go. All in all, not a great way to deal with people you hired less than 3 months previously.

Advice to Management

Get your ducks in a row before making personnel decisions, not in the middle of it or afterwards.

11. Been enjoying POWER for nearly a decade

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since I've been at POWER, there has been very good opportunities for growth. They have mostly maintained the culture even with extreme growth. Turnover seems relatively low and most of who I've seen leave were probably better off leaving.

Cons

It is a consulting business, so it can be demanding at times depending on clients/projects, but the opportunities help balance that out.