POWER Engineers

Updated November 5, 2014
3.8

POWER Engineers CEO Jack Hand
Jack Hand

Great atmosphere, truly care about their employees, could improve on retention strategies.

Current Employee - Engineer III in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Meridian, ID

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is laid back and promotes a strong work ethic through employee ownership and responsibility on projects. People genuinely feel part of a team and want to see the team succeed. Benefits are well above average, emphasis on employee morale throughout the company is a definite positive. Overtime is there for those who want it but not expected for fear of penalty. Variety of projects and potential to travel (in general given as an option) is a nice benefit.

Cons

Compensation is average to below average for the field, tends to matchup with cost of living at least for some of the offices. People who leave the company and return later or are recruited from other firms tend to be paid more than those who have been with the company for the same duration, often considerably more. This does not instill a positive "retention" atmosphere or view by the employee that career advancement within POWER is financially rewarding until possibly becoming a stockholder which is also often given to those from other firms as a recruiting tool.

While it is known that bringing in senior talent, or talent in their prime can sometimes require aggressive offers it is important to remember to reward current talent on a comparable scale. Failure to do so tends to bring forth a mindset from current employees that they are either not learning enough as they develop within POWER or have to leave the company in order to meet their financial goals. As the company continues to grow and the culture/atmosphere potentially changes good employees will not be able to continue to rationalize turning down lucrative offers elsewhere.

Been enjoying POWER for nearly a decade

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since I've been at POWER, there has been very good opportunities for growth. They have mostly maintained the culture even with extreme growth. Turnover seems relatively low and most of who I've seen leave were probably better off leaving.

Cons

It is a consulting business, so it can be demanding at times depending on clients/projects, but the opportunities help balance that out.

Probably a great company, but they laid me off before I could find out.

Current Employee - Engineer II
    Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seems to be a good corporate culture in general with lots of travel and movement possible. Definitely in the black financially.

Cons

Unfortunately, they're in the habit of making promises they can't (or simply won't) keep. My previous company was bought out by Power, who let most people in the office keep their jobs, besides some in management who were billing a majority of overhead for timesheet management, etc. We were told the plan was to expand our office in the coming years to be several dozen to a hundred people. We were finishing engineering contracts for the local utility and preparing to get more signed the following week ( which would have led to about a years' worth of work), when HR representatives came and told us that the company had identified several main areas to focus on, moving forward, and that we did not happen to be one of them. They gave us about 3 weeks to finish the project, but took away our interns (who we needed, as they were signing off on several documents) the week after they told us we were being let go. All in all, not a great way to deal with people you hired less than 3 months previously.

Get your ducks in a row before making personnel decisions, not in the middle of it or afterwards.

Fantastic, until ex-Micron workers came in.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, friendly people, free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Fun outings. Beer and wine coolers on Friday afternoons.

Cons

Was a good place to work until ex-Micron people came in around five years ago. The IT department has far too many managers, is an overhead department, and spends way too much money. Pay is below average, and raises are inconsistent. Mid to upper level management personnel are secure in their positions.

Make sure your managers and leaders actually know how to manage and lead.

Good culture

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the overall culture. The company philosophy is very much about work/life balance. From top management on down you'll find that folks support a balanced approach. As a consulting engineering firm they do good work, care about their clients and work to ensure quality engineering is delivered. The company delegates project related decision making as far down as possible, which empowers engineers and PM's to make the right decisions for clients.

Cons

Pay structure for the consulting business is on the lower end of the spectrum in my experience. I wasn't dissatisfied with my own pay, but when hiring new employees with hard to find skill sets it could be a challenge.

Company is very busy which is a pro, con to that is finding new work can be frustrating as finding internal resources to perform the work is a challenge.

Good place to start

I worked at POWER Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, flexible schedule, and just about as much overtime as you choose. They are open to letting you try new things or travel to gain more experience in certain specialties of design.

Cons

Besides the low salary there is a tendency towards micro managing at every level from designers to area lead managers. This could be due to the somewhat fast growth of certain areas of the company and its struggle to keep their small scale ideals going with the large scale reality. Once the kinks are worked out it may be better.

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Boise, ID

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great. People are friendly and welcoming, benifits are good, salary is good for the state of Idaho (that isn't saying much). Overall, I would recommend a friend to come work here.

Cons

It's starting to lose its small company feel. There is a definite good ol' boys club of owners.

Invest in your employees. Develope a system to reward them for their hard work, not for how long they have been at the company.

Great company for the right kind of person

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comraderie is high and the pace is intense. Opportunities for professional growth and choosing your own work are unsurpassed anywhere.

Cons

Salaries are low at the bottom of the totem pole.

Performance expectations are high, compensate accordingly. Be careful not to sacrifice the culture in the pursuit of growth, it's your primary draw for good talent.

Great Place for a New Engineer to Start

Current Employee - Electrical Substation Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Substation Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at POWER Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

POWER is a small company (~2000 people) and this translates into a comfortable work environment. Shorts and sandals are acceptable in the Houston office, hours are flexible, and there is a beer fridge in the kitchen. Health benefits are exceptional ($1000 Family Deductible) and include vision and dental. POWER as a company will do everything possible to keep you happy and productive.
    As a fresh grad you will get lots of experience in many different area's, most of which where not covered in school, and there is an infinite amount of room to grow.

Cons

Pay: Expect to be paid the going rate for a new grad engineer working in the design field. You can earn a few more dollars/hr doing the same job with someone else but POWER as a company makes up for the low cash compensation with the awesome health benefits, 401k matching, and 3 weeks of PTO in the first year. If you want to make more than 60k right out of school then find something besides design firms.

Management: Management will not address the leadership issues within teams. The team lead is running off talent left and right, not because he is a bad engineer but because he is a poor leader. Protesting the micro-managing, the misguidance, and the being thrown under the bus is futile because the inner circle watches out for one another. The good engineers leave for other jobs while the mediocre engineers hang around and get promoted. For the few decent engineers (or drafters) who decide to stick with POWER but are not part of the "in crowd", they are paid less than new hires. Management is salaried PLUS year-end bonus, their end game is to squeeze everyone to boost that bottom line but contribute nothing productive to the team.

Seek feedback from all ranks! You have no idea of what things are like in the cubes if you only seek input from the "experienced engineers". Also, get out of your cube and be more involved in the work being done in the office so that you can better evaluate the feedback given to you. TRUST the people who make you look good.

Great People

I have been working at POWER Engineers

Pros

Great people, good culture, values are strong

Cons

not a lot of room for professional growth. Upper management is out of touch with the workers.

Leadership