PPC
www.ppc.com McLean, VA 150 to 499 Employees

PPC Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
PPC – McLean – “Annual Turkey Drive”

PPC President & CEO Harry C. Thornsvard

Harry C. Thornsvard

Great place to work if you could live with less than industry standard salary.

Principal (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

Pros- Care for Employees
    - Excellent benefits that in turn compensates some times for less than industry standard salary
    - A decent 401(k) match. Used to be great though
    - Opportunities to rise and get to the management team eventually

ConsSalaries are really disproportionate here. They don't conform with industry standards. They don't conform within the company itself. There is huge difference in salaries at the same level, which results in disappointment among employees and make them dispirited, sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease bring sanity to the way employees ore paid.

The company that almost made it.

Analyst (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsIf you're young and this is one of your first jobs as a technical person out of school, this is a wonderful place to work. The CEO is top-notch and the work environment is great.

ConsThe middle management is out of touch with it's employees. Some of the first level managers are good, but most are not since they get their cues from their bosses. There seems to be a big gulf between the great vision of the highest level management and the managers closest to the employees. There also seems to be somewhat of a double standard when it comes to how individual employees are treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust listen more to the CEO and his immediate lieutenants. And remove the lower lever managers who aren't following the 'program'. This is a great company and has the potential to be a magnificent company, but some of the management need to move on to other (non-management) positions.

PPC was a privately-owned, great company when I started, was sold, and became just another beltway bandit.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was great camaraderie among co-workers.

ConsPerforming billable work at the same time I was trying to find my next project. Late nights writing proposals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it used to be

ProsThere are still some really great people who are committed to energy and the environment and there is still plenty of opportunity to work with smart people and make major contributions.

ConsThe corporate values of social and environmental responsibility have been reduced to hollow words, unsupported by actions. The collaborative atmosphere is evaporating in the face of upper management's apparent distrust of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithin the management of the company, PPC has gone from a "family" company to an "us vs. them" company. You don't empathize with your employees, and don't seem to consider them to be your peers. This attitude drives away talent.

Used to be great

Principal Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsStill retains excellent resources in the Energy Practice

ConsToo many changes in the past few years - trying to save money but left the company a shell of its former self with little benefits left for long-time employees
    New senior management lacks the ability to connect with employees
    New HR policies are confusing and not well communicated to employees

The Rise of the Phoenix

ProsPPC has a great history of success, innovation, and customer first attitude.
    New opportunities for movers and shakers to be entrepreneurial
    Team culture
    Work Hard Play Hard
    Willing to bring in raw talent and grow them
    You’re given a chance to sit at the decision table
    New Blood with new attitudes

ConsStaff Departures
    Lack of accountability across the board from 2009 through 2011.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making the difficult decisions to stabilize the company. Select competent people to operate or get rid of those who can't. Seek general employee feedback as one important tool to optimize everything from overhead to solution sales. Stay focused and the company will rise from the ashes better and stronger.

Was Proud to Work There at One Time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBefore the management shake up in the Fall of 2011, PPC was a pretty good place to work. I felt that I had a great relationship the Senior Management Team, felt like there was an open door policy, was treated fairly and generally went home feeling like I accomplished something and looked forward (for the most part) to going back to work the next day.

ConsThe new CEO is completely out of touch with the company and doesn't care about it's history or employees. He wants to change the company culture and it feels like he's driving out all of the people who know PPC best and can help it succeed to bring in his own people. That's his prerogative as the new leader but his blatent disrespect of employees and people who want the company succeed is stressful. In November, 14 people were laid off, including in finance and accounting, now there is a push to re-hire for those positions that were "eliminated" because PPC can't keep up with it's own billing. On top of that, the company has no money and collection calls from vendors to subcontractors is constant. It's a sad place to be and people are running for the hills to get out of there. The new CEO was brought in to make tough changes and turn the company around. However his own employment history shows that he hasn't been at any place long enough to make an impact, what makes AEA think he can do it here?

Advice to Senior ManagementPPC needs to be folded in with it's sister company or sold. If not that, a new CEO needs to be brought in. PPC was always a place that was proud of it's history and respect for it's employees, leadership should reflect that.

Overall very positive...if you give help, others help you.

ProsThere is a lot of change going on...some bad, some good. On the good side, there is a new focus on technology services. I see this as positive since that is how the company grew in the first place. Change has brought in some new blood...while allowing exsting staff the opportunity to step up. From what I read, the new Global CEO in London has experience with technology firms, unlike previous Global CEO. New PPC CEO is also from a tech firm...so maybe this will help us get back on track (i.e. start winning again). He is getting involved in the business...that is a good thing (he knows what we do). You are likely to see him walking the halls talking to folks.

ConsThere is currently a lot of change and it is causing stress throughout the organization. Communication could be better, but my hunch is there is no conspiracy to hide things from us...senior mgmt may not know everything given the changes at the parent (AEA). Maybe the biggest drag on morale is not knowing exactly what is going to happen...but then again, things are tough everywhere. My friends in other firms talk about the exact same things I complain about here. We don't seem to have a concrete path forward yet...that is causing stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what the firm does best (technology services), develop a plan, invest in your people, and communicate as best you can (don't assume everyone knows what you know).

Chaos, followed by more chaos

Principal (Current Employee)

ProsGood relationship with fellow employees

ConsManagement is always behind the curve. The constant fire drills are due in large part to the lack of management skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementComunicate and plan better.

Before AEA it was a great place to work

Principal Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsSome departments get to telecommute
    Eco-friendly slant (except for the disparity in telecommuting between departments)
    Good location in northern VA near DC

ConsThere is no work-life balance
    There is rampant favoritism in certain departments
    People are assigned clients not based on skill-match, but on how it suits a manager
    The same few resumes are used to secure work, then a "bait and switch" is used on the clients with staffing - leaving the onsite staff feeling awkward and having to explain discrepancies
    They go after every opportunity even if it is totally inappropriate, or they cannot staff it, and then the project staff has to attempt miracles to make it successful (then they take the blame when it fails - even if the staff, resources, or other requirements were never provided in the first place, or if the staff, resources, etc. were pulled out from under the team, or if the staff has the completely wrong skill-set to do the work)

Advice to Senior ManagementPPC used to have values that included: honesty, integrity, being employee-focused, being customer advocates (doing right by the client), and having fun. Now it is just about making a profit so AEA can announce a profit. Get back to caring about the people who do the work - look at the way your middle managers are berating and abusing your employees to eek out every drop of blood, sweat, and tears from them and look at how happy your customers really are - may make this a good place to work again.

Worked for PPC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PPC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PPC CEO Harry C. Thornsvard. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by PPC employees.