PPC Reviews

PPC President & CEO Harry C. Thornsvard
Harry C. Thornsvard

1. The Rise of the Phoenix

I have been working at PPC

Pros

PPC has a great history of success, innovation, and customer first attitude.
    New opportunities for movers and shakers to be entrepreneurial
    Team culture
    Work Hard Play Hard
    Willing to bring in raw talent and grow them
    You’re given a chance to sit at the decision table
    New Blood with new attitudes

Cons

Staff Departures
    Lack of accountability across the board from 2009 through 2011.

Advice to Management

Continue making the difficult decisions to stabilize the company. Select competent people to operate or get rid of those who can't. Seek general employee feedback as one important tool to optimize everything from overhead to solution sales. Stay focused and the company will rise from the ashes better and stronger.

2. Great Place to Work - Work Hard and Be Rewarded

I have been working at PPC

Pros

If you work hard and care about your job you will get great opportunities.
    Management is really good.
    The company is really well respected in both public and private sectors.

Cons

The company is experiencing minor growing pains.
    The job is demanding on time and committment. Though it is family friendly, the expectation is that you will put in the time to be successful.

Advice to Management

More communication is always valuable, though the company already does a good job at this. It is great to see senior management engaging junior people.

PPC General Review

I have been working at PPC

Pros

Medium sized company that encourages career growth; offers a great company culture that gives a good balance between personal and professional lives; with a vast number of clients and a strong sense of corporate responsibility (giving back/volunteerism). Also growing in the world of environmental consulting.

Cons

After being by a company twice its size in 2008, PPC has lost much of its recreational budget and does not hold bi-annual corporate-wide events as it did prior to 2008. This resulted in a slight loss of the company's "personal" touch.

Advice to Management

None.

5. Tech

I worked at PPC

Pros

Flexible hours, low stress most of the time

Cons

hours vary depending on the month

6. Good company with potential

I have been working at PPC

Pros

Good experience and quality people

Cons

Workload per person causes extra stress

7. Great work environment, great people.

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC

Pros

I loved the building and the people in it. Company events were fun when I went to them, and the work environment was generally relaxed. On my first day, I wore a tie and got several comments about how it wasn't necessary, even from the CEO at the time.

Cons

I felt like I had a lack of solid feedback about my job performance on a regular basis. The review process also seemed to not follow a regular schedule.

Advice to Management

I do not have much feedback for the management of Project Performance Corp. A little more transparency would have been nice.

8. Overall very positive...if you give help, others help you.

I have been working at PPC

Pros

There is a lot of change going on...some bad, some good. On the good side, there is a new focus on technology services. I see this as positive since that is how the company grew in the first place. Change has brought in some new blood...while allowing exsting staff the opportunity to step up. From what I read, the new Global CEO in London has experience with technology firms, unlike previous Global CEO. New PPC CEO is also from a tech firm...so maybe this will help us get back on track (i.e. start winning again). He is getting involved in the business...that is a good thing (he knows what we do). You are likely to see him walking the halls talking to folks.

Cons

There is currently a lot of change and it is causing stress throughout the organization. Communication could be better, but my hunch is there is no conspiracy to hide things from us...senior mgmt may not know everything given the changes at the parent (AEA). Maybe the biggest drag on morale is not knowing exactly what is going to happen...but then again, things are tough everywhere. My friends in other firms talk about the exact same things I complain about here. We don't seem to have a concrete path forward yet...that is causing stress.

Advice to Management

Focus on what the firm does best (technology services), develop a plan, invest in your people, and communicate as best you can (don't assume everyone knows what you know).

Fun middle size company with great work/life balance

Current Employee - Developer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in McLean, VA

I have been working at PPC

Pros

- Lots of fun company activities to participate in (sports teams, volunteer opportunities)
    - Managers to a good job listening to their employees and trying to keep them satisfied and challenged
    - Young energetic staff
    - Great game room
    - Decent pay
    - I feel pretty good about my job security

Cons

- As with most small / midsize companies policies / procedures will be broken in order to satisfy a customer (this may mean occasionally working long hours to reach an unreasonable timeline)
    - Yearly performance reviews have some awkward metrics that may not apply to your specific job role.
    - We do a lot of tech projects, but some of the project managers have no experience managing tech projects. (Need a developer at any requirements meetings)

Advice to Management

- Create a training program for new project managers instead of promoting them from analyst and assuming they know what they are doing

10. Great place to work

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at PPC

Pros

A good group of professional people. They understand what it means to work hard and what it means to have a life. I loved working there, the reason for leaving was to start my own business.

Cons

My narrow nitch didn't fit into the company's profile, I helped them meet a contract requirement. It is really not a down-side, but this way it was harder to fit.

Advice to Management

Management is very competent, I only missed a little more opportunities for advancement.

11. Cool place to work

I have been working at PPC

Pros

All of the employees are really awesome.

Cons

The employee evaluation system is awkward and difficult.

Advice to Management

Please change how employee evaluations work.

PPC Photos