PPG

Be The First To
Add Photos

PPG Chairman and CEO Chuck Bunch

Chuck Bunch

Pros
  • Always challenging, ability to work as much as your want good people(in 11 reviews)

• good benefits, good people, laid back atmosphere, solid company, ethical(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus is a terrible, upper management has no clue what they are doing(in 13 reviews)

• Work/life balance is not important to PPG(in 5 reviews)

Completely abysmal, you're just an expendable number.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sylmar, CA

ProsThe people you work with are nice and there's always someone willing to help. You'll also get access to the company cafe, which has decent enough food and low prices, but during high traffic hours you'll have to wait half of your allotted time for lunch to get your food.

ConsYou'll soon come to find that you're completely expendable; the site that I work at used to be called Sierracin and PPG acquired it six or so years ago. All workers before that time were grandfathered in and kept their pay and benefits, all new workers are "hired" through a company called Staff Management MX who are seemingly a proprietary business with an on-site office. There's no interview processes, just a series of tests that have nothing to do with the positions you're being offered (which aren't explicitly stated either), which will take 2 or 3 weeks to get through so results can be evaluated. From there you're randomly put into one of the four plants and given a task, depending on your shift you're paid $10.00, $10.35 or $10.50 an hour respectively.

Your pay increase is 25 cents every 3 months for the first year, and after that you get 25 cents every six months until you reach $12 an hour. When you hit $12 an hour you're capped and it will never increase regardless of how long you work, some of the workers I've talked to have been there nearly 10 years and they're stuck at $12 an hour. The only way to earn more money is actually be hired directly to PPG.

Being hired by PPG is a whole other set of flaming hoops to jump through. You have to take an additional 4-hour test off-site on your own time and then PPG will only consider hiring you. It's not a guarantee and you'll be competing with everyone else that's a contracted employee for that spot. Good luck. Oh, and you'll also be given a pay cut to just above minimum wage if you are chosen. Enjoy working your way through the ranks!

The people are very nice, but they'll be the first to tell you it's not worth working here. Co-workers will champion you when you begin looking for other work and be happy for you when you tell them you got an interview. The older workers, who were there before the acquisition, won't be shy in telling you how PPG is running the company to the ground and how poorly the new hires are treated. Oh and how there used to be a Union that PPG pushed out by coercing the employees and fooling them into thinking that they'd be "taken care off."

Your supervisors can be nice, but they're straight to business. If you're talking to long to someone they'll point it out, some of them can be frustratingly anal-retentive and it's usually about how you do your job. The irony here is that they were hired into their positions and none of them "moved up through the ranks" from your position, so they literally haven't don't any of the jobs or operations that they supervise. You'll begin to treat the supervisors like the Gestapo when they come around and make yourself look busy so you don't have to interact with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I could give advice to the upper management but they've made it quite clear they don't care for their bottom line so it wouldn't really matter. The only people that know how to do the work are treated incredible poorly; lower than dirt and this should be changed.

CSR

Prosdecent amount of time paid off
    international company

ConsStrong corporate culture
    Terrible Management
    High degree of politics
    good employees get taken advantage of
    male dominated

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage your employees and plan accordingly. Dishonesty and disloyalty to your best employees will result in more failure and your ability to keep them.

They ruined Porter now they are ruining Glidden Professional!

Iss (Current Employee)

ProsSteady pay and decent benefits.
    Those are the only 2 things I can can honestly say that good about this company.

ConsWay too much paperwork for a paint store to have to do.
    Store level management and above really have no clue as to how to do things.
    Glidden employees acquired in the merger are treated very poorly.
    Advancement is geared away from Glidden employees acquired in merger.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to be like Sherwin Williams and invent your own identity. Steel toed boots, safety glasses, and gloves is way overboard for EHS.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Title of Review

ProsThe pros are office cultre

Consthe cons are benefits are little

Great until the merger, then it was good.

Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsIn the store I worked in upper management told us what was expected and we worked towards that goal.
    Everyone worked. There were assigned duties but you could almost always count on someone to help out if you needed it.
    For an entry level worker the pay was better then expected, much better.

ConsThe work is demanding at times.
    After the merger our new upper manager was not nearly as motivating or inspiring. Before merger I wanted to make the upper manager proud of our store, after we got the new one not so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the store managers better. For all the hours and work and BS they put up with, they are the real superstars.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining and office culture is very good. Everyone is extremely willing to help and teach. Benefits are really good. Many people stay there a very long time and have many different roles which is a good sign

ConsSeems someone bogged by hierarchical structure and old technologies.

Glidden Division

(Current Employee)

ProsDecent base pay, ok benefits, company car.

ConsBonus is a terrible, upper management has no clue what they are doing. Every week your goals change and you can never get in a groove, especially when you're told you need to work from 6 am to 6pm, then come home and do your paperwork. No I'm not kidding.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlso pay your employees more, the base is ok but the comp plans are a joke for a sales job. You made 2 billion in profits last year, yet you pay your employees as if PPG is a start-up. Yes it's great you are buying up companies weekly, but lets be honest; it's being done because you underpay all of your employees. What are you going to do when you have to pay a real wage or when all your good employees move on?

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsCommunity involvement
    Tuition reimbursement
    A lot of promotions are from within
    Great people

ConsMeager annual increases
    Limited flexible schedule opportunities

Excellent company with an abundant opportunity to learn and master your craft

EHS Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat development opportunities, cross training opportunities, exposure to other business units, great support from corporate, very stable company, annual bonuses to all levels of employees, supportive local management.

ConsLean organization in the plants from an EHS perspective, base pay can be lower than expected if you don't research your market value, acquisitions need to be integrated sooner rather than much later, offer advancement opportunities for EHS outside of corporate headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove acquisition integration and provide more support at the plant level for EHS.

Not bad, not great

Cost Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsCompany does a good job of hiring people that fit within the culture.
    Global company, if you want to move around there are opportunities

ConsSay one thing and do another
    Salary is below other manufacturers

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're not going to do something, don't try to BS us. We're all adults we can deal with the bad news, being misleading about it is childish.

Worked for PPG? Contribute to the Community!