PPG Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

PPG Chairman and CEO Chuck Bunch
Chuck Bunch

Pros
  • Always challenging, ability to work as much as your want good people (in 11 reviews)

• good benefits, good people, laid back atmosphere, solid company, ethical (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus is a terrible, upper management has no clue what they are doing (in 14 reviews)

• Work/life balance is not important to PPG (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Resin Engineer Experience - 1st Job Out of College

Current Employee - Resin Engineer  in  Oak Creek, WI
    Current Employee - Resin Engineer in Oak Creek, WI

I have been working at PPG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many locations and positions available. They are willing to move you and let you have new experiences. In the plant, you can work on whatever you are passionate about. Management generally does not micromanage.

Cons

Management does not share a lot with lower ranking contributors. Not a good work-life balance. Resin Engineers are on-call 24/7, which they do not tell you in the interview. Raises are very small. You have to move to get a big promotion/raise, in general.

Changing

I have been working at PPG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable. Good long-term employer

Cons

Clique-ish. Favorites are played.

Communicate

Solid experience filled with people who want you to succeed

Current Employee - FLD  in  Shelby, NC
    Current Employee - FLD in Shelby, NC

I have been working at PPG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Manager wants you to succeed.
    Leaning all of the basics of the job early on.
    The program sets you up with a professional network with a mentor as well as other FLD's.
    There is flex time and schedules are flexible to a point.
    I feel like family is valued and so is your overall health.
    There are many growth opportunities but it is your job to look for them and take advantage of them
    The benefits package covers a good amount for health, dental, vision and car.
    Higher Education is encouraged and PPG will help you pay for it.
    The upper management likes to know what is going on to the plant level. This always tells you their level of interest in making their company succeed.

Cons

Some jobs can be monotomous.
    The culture is one sided. Meaning there aren't many young professionals
    It took a little longer than I would have wanted to build a training schedule
    Compensation could be higher.
    Mobility is the key to move forward, Could be a pro or con depending on how you feel about this

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PPG Industries

I worked at PPG

Pros

This company has advancement opportunities within the US as well as worldwide. Fortune 100 company with a solid stock price.

Cons

Very black and white in there views. No gray in there world. Must walk the corporate lifestyle and never step out of line. Free thinking doesn't get rewarded.

Take the blinders off and see (at times) things are gray and not 100% black and white.

Stuck in the past

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at PPG full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

PPG is very numbers driven - and as such the bonus program is competitive (note I said bonus, not salary...). The people in leadership positions know very well what they employees want to hear and communicate frequently.

Cons

As I said above, PPG is very numbers driven - to a fault. Anything that we tried to do that was creative to reach out to consumers was consistently put down as frivolous - all they want to do is whatever their customers (i.e., the retailers) want. This may work for them in the near term, but in the long term, no one will even know who they are and their brands will disappear.

Let your employees take a few risks now and then. Autonomy could result in some really good things for you.

Architectural Coatings, an organization committed to growth while emploweing and valuing existing employees.

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at PPG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great work / life balance.
    - Flexible schedule (arrive between 7am and 9am, leave between 4pm and 6pm).
    - Women in the Workforce, Diversity Council, etc - committed to diversifying the organization.
    - Leadership Summits.
    - Mentor opportunities.
    - Outstanding leadership.

Cons

Due to growth and acquisition, the company is closing the Louisville, KY office and relocating to Cranberry Township, PA.

A great company

I worked at PPG

Pros

Great co worker. Good pay

Cons

Management! Managers are very rude to employees

You have good workers, treat them like men

Its a lot of work but it is rewarding

Former Employee - Shader  in  Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Shader in Delaware, OH

I worked at PPG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked everyone I worked with. People are usually friendly and helpful. If you like to stay busy, this is a good job for you. They do offer free higher education, stipulated that you must stay with the company at least 5 years after you get your degree.

Cons

It can be boring to stay at the same department for many years. After a while you master your position and there is little growth to be made. They do offer first dibs internally for new jobs but it can be hard to meet the qualifications. Management likes to hear from workers regarding new ideas to improve work flow. But new ideas are rarely implemented. I even won an award for a contribution that was never put into practice.

It would be nice if people's ideas were given a chance more often.

fiberglass

I worked at PPG

Pros

good pay, decent benefits, friendly coworkers

Cons

contracted labor is replacing part of the work force

A great learning expereince

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at PPG full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part of being a manager for PPG are the hours M-F 7 to 5PM. We have great benefits, and generous vacation hours each year. The company really has lots of advancement opportunities.

Cons

First PPG paints in not a typical retail store, Contractors come in each day and complain about pricing, threatening to buy paint from SW. Also most stores are short staffed. I'm currently working six days a week with only one part time employee. Expect to bend over front and backwards for the customer. Its all about competition between us and SW. We have sales reap who are lazy and won't put pricing in the system.

Keep up the great work

Worked for PPG? Contribute to the Community!