PR Newswire

Be The First To
Add Photos

PR Newswire CEO Ninan Chacko

Ninan Chacko

Pros
  • Lots of vacation and everyone seems to get it done while maintaining a great work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Great energy, good people, laid back culture(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Some managers do not understand that providing a work life balance to their staff is important(in 4 reviews)

• High turnover in sales - they do not pay well(in 5 reviews)

Good culture. Job can be stressful, but they try to help you through it.

Customer Content Specialist (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe job can be very stressful during high-volume times, but the company knows this. They offer a lot of incentives via contests or rewards for high performers, as well as encouraging an enjoyable atmosphere in the office. It's a casual environment, they offer a lot of time off, and they pay well for expected overtime. The people who work there really make the day enjoyable, and are the bright spot during tougher times. They really want you to learn a lot about the job, as well as to develop personal "exit power." The more you know about the industry, the better, as they know that most people don't make a career in the customer content/editorial department. They encourage seeking opportunities within the company to grow your own interests. They encourage innovation. There are a lot of financial incentives for sales/high performance/good customer service/internal teamwork.

ConsThere is a lot of emphasis on meeting goals or collecting "stats" based on the work you do. Every mistake you make is logged, and there's a lot of emphasis on "error rate" or "accuracy rate." Seriously, sometimes people live in fear of getting another error. Overtime happens a lot (but at least it pays). It's a 24/7 company, so some holiday work is required. Technology is not always reliable. There's a lot of time spent just logging everything that happens. Clients can be demanding, and I've dealt with some bad calls. There's a confusing array of products that are hard to memorize and keep track of pricing and specifics. Some departments have high turnover, but the high pressure nature of the job on some days is not something that everyone is capable of coping with.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate some of the "paper work" and logging that we have to do. Invest in tech upgrades.

Horrible experience

Editor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood people to work with; made many friends here. Fast paced environment made the days go quick. Clients were mostly friendly and reasonable to work with.

ConsUpper management was inconsistent and unfair and at times used bullying tactics to make their case; no real growth opportunities available. Lunch breaks were hard to come by.

Fast track to nowhere.

Customer Content Specialist (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsYou are required to have a college degree to be hired so your coworkers are of above-average intelligence.

ConsThere is very high turnover which creates an atmostphere of low morale, disengagement, lack of motivation and general dissatisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain employees. Offer more chances for advancement. Pay a higher wage to match the high demands of the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could've done this job without a degree

Customer Content Specialist (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGood benefits, lots of paid time off, nice co-workers. Most of the managers are nice.

ConsThis job is HIGHLY stressful. You cannot make a lot of mistakes or you can get fired quite easily. The turnaround rate at this company is high within the editorial team. Everyone has their resume updated and ready to go. I feel I got paid as if I was in a retail job. This is mostly a customer service job with other random crap to do. Clients mistakes=your mistakes. Some of the managers are impossible to work with and have no compassion for mistakes. Don't expect to ever be rewarded or even recognized for the good work you do. This job made me mentally and physically sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementMistakes happen, this is why your turn around rate is high. Every one of your employees are miserable. I haven't met one that said "This job is fantastic", they stay for the money and benefits. Appreciate your employees, they work dang hard.

It was fun while it lasted

Customer Content Specialist (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat energy, good people, laid back culture.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement.

A good place to start, but be ready to play politics.

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the best PEOPLE I've ever met were or are at PRN. A good place to start if you want to work in media communications or business services.

ConsWay too many politics. Very incestuous workplace - especially in sales, editorial and amongst the executive branch.. Hard to advance if you're not politically "in" no matter how well you do. Stay away from the NYC office if you despise corporate politics. High turnover in sales - they do not pay well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLets advance some people who actually have some new ideas and not continue to promote those who have politically made it.

The company is fantastic-- the Content Services positions are very, very intense.

Customer Content Specialist (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsLots of time off
    Excellent benefits
    fair entry-level pay

ConsNo (really, no) upward mobility. You can move horizontally, however.
    The most stressful job gets paid the very least.
    The core technology of the company is dysfunctional

PR Newswire Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back. Good colleagues. Fun location in Jersey City.

ConsManagement is trying to figure out what to do. Sales operation folk suck big time

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say something you are going to do, then do it

Great work/life balance, little chance for career advancement.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are the best, direct manager is razor sharp and clients are great to deal with. Lots of vacation and everyone seems to get it done while maintaining a great work/life balance.

ConsUpper mgt. is aloof and almost absent. Their very rare personal interaction with clients keeps them out of touch with industry trends and realty. No career path AT ALL if you're past entry level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake expectations more realistic and get a better understanding of marketplace. Company jargon and terminology are so out of touch with marketplace, that staff almost need to translate between internal and external stakeholders.

Good entry-level position; tolerable 'day job'

Editor (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsKnowing the ins and outs of press release distribution pays career-long dividends for any communications professional. Name recognition in the industry makes for a fine starting point as a recent grad looking for that first rung in their ascent of the corporate ladder. Due to the confidential nature of commercial news syndication, work seldom follows non-managers home.

ConsLong office hours and high stress for what ultimately amounts to a hybrid position of call-center customer service and simple data processing. Low opportunity for advancement in a business environment that values consistency over risk-versus-reward, which makes it difficult to demonstrate excellence and innovation. Job security is contingent upon ephemeral performance metrics, and favoritism runs particularly rampant. Skillset requires some creativity when presenting to future employers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage the Editorial team to cross-train and develop additional skills for internal promotion of employees who began their careers working with the core product. Press releases will always be indispensable to public companies, but their value is questionable for privately-held businesses, savvy to Google's preference for organic search and linkbuilding efforts.

Worked for PR Newswire? Contribute to the Community!