PR Newswire

Updated November 21, 2014
3.2

PR Newswire CEO Ninan Chacko
Ninan Chacko

Pros
  • Great energy, good people, laid back culture (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of vacation and everyone seems to get it done while maintaining a great work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This leads to high turnover within departments, especially customer content services (in 7 reviews)

• Some managers do not understand that providing a work life balance to their staff is important (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice company to work with

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mid size company and many things to learn

Cons

Company needs a focused approach.

Fresh out of college? This place is good for you

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, good people to work with

Cons

minimal room for growth, high turnover, sales goals not disclosed in timely manner, low team morale inside sales

raise the morale of the inside sales team by creating a commission plan that doesn't set people up for failure

Great group of colleagues to work with!

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

PR Newswire is the leader in its field. Staff is very well versed on the latest trends and shares their knowledge with clients on a very on-going basis.

Cons

As part of the sales team, I work around the clock to meet client demands.

Don't have too much contact with upper management.

Loved my coworkers. Hate the management.

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The laid back work environment, fun coworkers who became amazing friends, medical benefits, lots of vacation time, nice retirement plan

Cons

Management. Where do I start? I worked there for 4 years but got so tired of the politics. So much bullying and belittling by management. Got to be too much especially when the entire sales team got screwed over by commission "restructuring" and unattainable goals - which the upper level management even copped up to but said.. Oh just wait it out until 2015. No! When I started at PRN I had fun but over the last year it became such an awful place to work.

Appreciate your employees and their hard work by respecting them and fairly compensating them.

Great work/life balance

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The working environment is great, I don't feel like a slave to the job.

Cons

some of the current technologies need revamping or improving

Disappointing

Former Employee - Editorial in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Editorial in Cleveland, OH

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Never bored, always something to do. There's a lot to learn and grow from. Excellent stepping stone job. Really nice office with a great downtown Cleveland Location.

Cons

Management is very unwilling to help. There is a clique-like environment, especially on the editorial side where I worked. If they don't like you, they will figure out a way to push you out, and they did for me. Sometimes you get nasty phone calls from clients who are just allowed to treat you unprofessionally with no help from upper management. Need to get rid of the instant messaging communication system. The negative criticism you receive at this job is out of control and unfortunate. They do not care about you as a person, only how your personal situations will affect their company. Typical big business who treats their employees like disposable solo cups. There is no room for personal creativity and you are like a robot doing the same thing every day. Not worth staying there for more than 6 months. If someone around you that has been working there longer they will figure out a way to get you out the door anyways. No one says "hi, how are you?" No one looks up from their desks. Very impersonal office culture. There are better jobs out there with way nicer people.

Pay attention to how old employees are treating your new employees. Many of them are very unwelcoming and mean. I don't have a college degree to go back to high school. There is a lot to learn with this job and training is very daunting. Reassuring in the beginning and then negating what you say when it comes time for newbies to be on the floor is hypocritical and stressful.

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product development, suite of industry-leading solutions, history and top leadership. They have high caliber people there that know marketing, social and digital media. The on boarding process/HR training is great and they have invested in the right tools for their future (CRM, benefits, etc.)

Cons

They have too many internal disparate systems that don't talk to each other. This creates some problems in client billing and sales/account management. Due to their investments and top-down vision, they have put extreme and pressure on their sales teams and have lost a lot of good people. Sales expectations are unrealistic and there is high turnover. This looks bad if you are a customer.

1. Consolidate your internal systems from a billing and reporting standpoint to make it less burdensome on your client-facing teams.
    2. Stop the sales hemmoraging and high turnover. It is a waste of time/money to keep hiring people only to churn them out. Create sales teams by market/industry and company/agency size so that you don't have experience large account representatives handling small accounts.

Depends on which department you work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues as most are very laid back and fun to work with; good vacation days: you get 17 days off during your first year (1 week vacation, 7 personal and 5 floating holidays); benefits (health, retirement, support) aren't bad either. You can't beat the dress code, where you can wear jeans 5 days a week (unless you're meeting a client), just no sneakers, t-shirts, shorts, flip flops.

Cons

Depending on which team you work in, some managers are old school and do not really understand the concept of work-life balance and like to micro-manage. Younger managers are much more flexible and laid back, these are the teams you want to work in.

Raises are minimal and the company took away a lot of benefits like tuition reimbursement. The pay scale in on a lower end in comparison to industry averages. Management seems to change direction all the time and overrules all the priorities that were previously approved. There aren't a lot of growth either within the company as people tend to stay, unless you go over to sister companies under the UBM umbrella.

We don't need more VPs and Directors at the company. We need more people to do the work. Provide the teams with sufficient resources to do their jobs.

PROFESSIONAL

Current Employee - Data Administrator in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Administrator in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LOCATION is very key, close to NYC

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance

n/a, company is a good place to work.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at PR Newswire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Good Hours
    Great Direct Supervisor

Cons

Compensation is very limited and hard to advance in the organization.

Upper management should be more engaged and collaborative.