PRA Health Sciences

Updated February 25, 2015
3.3

PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Decent systems, work/life balance is the same as at every CRO (in 22 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members (in 16 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent, the team culture is great

Cons

It is not easy to get a promotion

Take the time to develop your existing staff, as opposed to always hiring externally

Person

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

A job that helps pay bills, some co-workers

Cons

a job to pay the bills

If you are not smiling all day everyday then nothing else matters

Work at this company has deteriorated over the years.

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Benefits - time off, medical/dental, 401K. Competitive salary

Cons

No life work balance. It has gotten progressively worse over the last several years. Middle management can sympahize but there is nothing they can do to improve the situation for their direct reports. Upper management couldn't care less. Resourcing is atrocious. There is a lot of redundancy in work becauses so many systems that are not integrated.

Bring in top senior long term CRAs, IHCRAs to be involved with improving processes. Stop letting clients walk all over us. In the long run it only sets us up for troubles with auditors. Data driven monitoring is the worst indea I've seen in 16 years in research. Reduced SDV using computer based algorithm would be better.

Anti climax

Former Employee - Clinical Systems Designer in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Clinical Systems Designer in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are nice, not as many pros as you would expect for a company of this size

Cons

Poor line management, manager had 'favourites' in staff - did not treat people equally. Lack of tasks blamed on employees - bewildering. Poor salary with little scope for increase

Increase salaries, electronic task allocation

Maybe it got too big

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

The Personal Time Off (PTO) is generous and flexible, even after they cut it back, and many departments allow home-based postions and/or work-from-home flexibility to one degree or another. It takes determination and strength but, with some groups and managers, it is possible to keep to a reasonable number of hours.

The long-term employees are great, they are experienced, informed and helpful.

It is probably still a good place to enter the industry and gain experience. The choice to stay long-term would be up to the individual.

Cons

Communication from the leadership follows the "Trickle-Down" model and is not complete or reliable when it reaches the lower echelons. Communication across groups follows the "Six Degrees of Separation" model where the sender does not know who the recipients should be so they send it to people they know in the hope that those people will be able to pass it on wherever it needs to go.

Some groups are moving towards having admin-only management who do not have experience in the tasks and responsibilities of their teams. This makes bottom-up communication difficult. Explaining technical or process issues is difficult for the employees doing billable work and there is a strong likelihood that problematic promises will be made to clients.

IT was very much cut down and is struggling to support the company; requests for essential support can go unanswered for weeks.

And, most unhappily, in the past few years, there has been less support for adherence to regulatory guidelines. I used to be confident in receiving Senior Management support when unethical requests were made but, now I see little to none. Those for whom I had the most respect, and in whom I had the most confidence, have left the company.

The communication issues are significant; information needs to be sent from the person who has it directly to the people who need it, with a cc to those who need to know it was sent.

Communication also needs to be more open, the grapevine has beome a more reliable source for the staff than mangement communication. And, where senior management are doing things that they cannot be open about, maybe they should re-assess their choices.

Great place to work

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Supportive atmosphere within department, upward mobility opportunities. Good benefits, company social events, and work-life balance.

Cons

Inconsistent communication between study teams.

Used to be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

The people that I work with are the main pro of the job. Many of the people are nice.

Cons

Corporate does not care about the everyday employee. It used to be a lot better before Lifetree was bought out.

Start caring about your employees.

PRAHS

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Great location, Great co-workers and day to day environment.

Cons

Personal growth limited by several acquisitions

Excellent Experience

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

PRA has been a wonderful place to work as a Clinical Team Manager (Lead) since I began in mid-2014. My colleagues are competent, personable, and knowledgeable and my managers have been supportive and good resources. The key to PRA's approach to the CTM role is that they incorporate (and expect) that CTMs perform as Clinical Project Managers and you are responsible for the financial/scope/projection piece of they study you are on in addition to your typical lead responsibilities. I expect that if you immerse yourself in this role, you will be rewarded for your work -time will tell, but I have no reason at this point to think otherwise. The training for the role as well as the project specifically has been outstanding.

Cons

I am not particularly fond of the systems for CTMS and TMF so far, but admittedly they are both new to me so perhaps once I learn how to utilize them more efficiently/effectively, I will change my opinion. Other than this, I have no complaints to speak of.

Please value your top performing employees and reward them with promotions when deserved. A big part of the reason I came to PRA is because I was told this occurs and I am hopeful it will continue.

Maybe they should consider becoming regionally aligned

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate II in Houston, TX

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

No micro-managing, good benefits, especially PTO allowance, corporate card make it easier to spend without waiting for them to reimburse you

Cons

Flying coast to coast and still requiring 10 days on site is too much...

Consider being regionally aligned or consider 10 days on site including travel (based on hours)...you will burn out your CRAs quickly.

PRA Health Sciences Photos