PRA Health Sciences

Updated January 23, 2015
3.5

PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Decent systems, work/life balance is the same as at every CRO (in 22 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members (in 16 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great co-workers, mid-level management, not so much

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being "down in the trenches" of IT, this was a great place to work. Supportive direct management, and co-workers, a real team atmosphere.

Cons

Director-level managers did nothing to promote a work-life balanced, or team environment. They were disengaged, and seemed uncaring for the staff who'd been hard-working contributors. Just use them up, and toss them out.

In IT, communication from mid-level management was non-existent. Silo'd teams each had their own agenda, and the director did nothing to promote a broader level of cooperation between teams.

PRA - SR CRA experience

Current Employee - Senior CRA in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been at PRA as a Sr CRA for one year and it has been a very positive experience. I especially appreciated the the onboard training and the opportunity to learn their systems. Pros are - good FM, online tools, and the spirit of teamwork. I especially appreciate the support provided by in-house staff. I have worked at other CROs and Sponsors, and this is for me, a good fit. Co-workers have had the opportunity to transition from monitoring to project management, so there is evidence of career growth.

Cons

Like all monitoring positions, finding a work/life balance can be a challenge. Project meetings with CRAs could be more useful if representatives from data management were included (at least on occasion).

Please continue to remain transparent.

Great Benefits, Horrible Communication

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An extremely generous company, upper management is very personable and sincere.

Cons

Could use an upgrade in the technology department. Poor Communication, Better Training, note sensible workload.

Gather and use employee feedback.

Challenging - Rewarding

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging work, moving around across departments is not only allowed, it's encouraged. Large international company but has maintained the camaraderie and culture of a smaller firm. You are held accountable, but when you deliver with quality work, you are rewarded. Fellow employees are often there to help and support you.

Cons

Communication could improve - we want to know whats going on whether it's good or bad.

Communicate more often

Great people, management

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Great management, manager concern and oversite, up-to-date systems

Cons

Poor inter-departmental communication, could be better.

Invite other departments to meetings so that employees can get an idea of the "big picture".

Great training enviornment

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are great and the information systems are top notch. As a growing company, there is a lot of room for opportunities especially at the entry level. 4 weeks of PTO right off the bat is unheard of.

Cons

Communication between management and CRA's is average. Management of work life balance is so so, but when there is a lot of travel that can be the case

Keep up the good work

Clinical Study Manager

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Medical Director within the clinic. She will help you and train you when needed. Best doctor I have ever worked for.

Cons

They have no training. No one is on the same page which makes it really hard to work. Way over work. No work life and home life balance.

Should set up a training department that trains all new employees coming on board.

Okay place to work.

Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good training. System easy to use.

Cons

No promotion within. Must be a favorite to move up. Work environment is very noisy.

Promote the good talent you have within the company.

Descent CRO

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Happy with my salary & benefits. Manageable travel expectations. Good managers. They keep protocols to 1-2 at a time. No SWAT visits, like I've done at other companies, where I had to learn a protocol on the flight to the site! PRA has great training. Great expectations for the managers to ensure training of the staff.

Cons

So many computer systems that "clash"...some require Google Chrome & some require Internet Explorer. I'm not a computer geek for goodness sake. Lots of redundant documenting...example: one project required us to document our phone contact reports in CTMS & another system. SO many systems!

Could we please consolidate some of these computer systems?

In House CRA

Current Employee - In House CRA in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - In House CRA in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a really generous vacation accrual (6hrs every 2 weeks, increases the longer you're there) and the staff and management are really friendly and cooperative. They're very flexible; if you have an appointment and need to take off a few hours, you can stay later another day(s) to compensate instead of using your PTO. It's a very supportive environment and your manager really exists more to guide you and develop your career, not someone to dread meeting with. They have realistic workloads and won't throw you under the bus or overwork you if a project is taking longer than expected. You should like your study team and vice-versa, and if that's not the case you don't have to be afraid to talk to your manager about it, since they are independent of your team.

Cons

If the pay was higher, it would be the perfect job!

PRA Health Sciences Photos