PRA Health Sciences Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
209 reviews filtered by

Too much drama and politics

Current Employee - Volunteer Recruiting Associate
    Current Employee - Volunteer Recruiting Associate

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like my supervisor a lot. The hours are flexible.

Cons

I dislike the politics, can't seem to advance in the company or get a full-time job. My co-worker has been here for two years and just received her first raise.

Advice to Management

If you don't treat people right, they'll leave you. Promoting someone just because they're dating your friend isn't the best way to show your employees that you care about them.

Great Place!

Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Nice office, great management, nice training, awesome opportunities for advancement, great industry to be in!

Cons

The only con is that the work tends to ebb and flow. You can have a lot of down of time and try to find ways to bill your time and other times you are super busy!

Advice to Management

Great management no complaints

Eat, Sleep and Dream PRA...

Former Employee - Project Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

I was at PRA for almost 9 years and worked in two different departments through the going public period to back to a private company. It depends on who your direct manager is, what department you are working in and overall the company atmosphere which had changed constantly there. If you don't like change, don't work for PRA - and that is both good and bad change. Benefits are competitive, raises are almost non-existent, salaries are below competitive to market. Some wonderful managers took notice to hard work. You will be busy!

Cons

You are at the mercy of who is managing your department and the department you are working in. Most managers took advantage of those who worked hard. When I left, I discovered another employee there had been fired who had less than a third of the responsibility as I did and had been on probation for years! Functional managers changed and the new one wasn't that person's friend. So everyone else had been covering for that particular employee's slack. You are not able to take your PTO and will end up not earning more due to maxing out what you earned. Work/Life balance is insane. I worked holidays, weekends, 10 hours a day and when a close family member died suddenly, I only could take 3 days because of my work load.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you put in functional management positions. There are too many friends, too many cover ups to job performance you shouldn't accept. And employees who are constantly "loosing time" because they are unable to take their PTO should be forced to and their Functional Managers should be forced to distribute their duties elsewhere or lessen their load. (That is why they are Functional Managers!)

5. Ok place to work

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Pto policy, co-workers, benefits decent,

Cons

Lack of communication from management

People make the difference!

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Interesting work. Colleagues are extremely helpful, friendly and are the reason many employees stay. Lots of work from home opportunities. PTO is generous plus 11 holidays.

Cons

Management needs managerial training! Most positions are high stress and management just keeps pushing. Promotion opportunities are limited. Normally a person gets a promotion due to a request to perform above and beyond their normal responsibilities or they have to threaten to leave at an inopportune time.

Advice to Management

Request management training in high stress situations.

programmer

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time

Pros

401k, paid vacation days,

Cons

more stress when approaching timelines

Advice to Management

better planning and resource (expertise) distribution among project teams.

From day one, my experience with PRA has been that the culture here supports a very supportive atmosphere. Senior management keeps employees informed about the company's position. The training is stellar. PRA also keeps up with technology.

Current Employee - Clinical Informatics Manager in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Informatics Manager in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. Training opportunities. Supportive environment. Individual freedom to adjust schedule to allow for a work-life balance.

Cons

Can be difficult to make connections with Co-workers in a remote setting. Can be frugal about approving reimbursements & promotions may take a while but this is also a testament to savvy financial management.

Advice to Management

Be honest with staff, even the difficult conversations. Honesty is best. Talk about advancement with staff - what people need to do, the process of requesting promotions, wait time involved. These are important factors to keep up morale.

9. Great company! Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement. Friendly/casual corporate culture. The company is growing very rapidly so there are always opportunities to improve your career

Cons

Limited work from home options

Advice to Management

Consider being more open to working from home.

I work at PRA Health Sciences full-time homebased

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Open communication and flat hierarchy. In certain positions working home based is possible. Good tools and flat hierarchy. nice international working environment across departments like in every other big CRO.

Cons

With PRA Healthscience going public the pressure and scrutinizing is increasing. Promotions in the European Asia Pacific regions are not as easy to achieve as in the US.Promotion is even more difficult to achieve when working from home; same as everywhere as you are not visible. Due to the integration of i.e. RPS there is a lot of restructuring happening.

Advice to Management

Do not push change through to quick and too much as well as not a couple of changes in a short time period. Listen to your employees and use their strength. Middle Management and FMs need to better support the employees.

Hard to stand out, even when you work really hard!

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Really understand the need to have a flexible work schedule; my teams were really great to work with.

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities for project associates - you had to go the CRA route in order to move up and that job isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

More opportunities with different career paths - it would have been nice to have the option to move to Regulatory, Data Management, Safety, etc., but those opportunities were not there in the La Jolla office.

PRA Health Sciences Photos