PRA Health Sciences

Updated December 16, 2014
3.4

PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Decent systems, work/life balance is the same as at every CRO (in 22 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members (in 16 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid technology

Current Employee - CRA III in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - CRA III in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Up to date systems and innovative technology

Cons

mandated travel vendors and possible mandated corporate credit card

Do not take away our choice. You will attract a mediocre work force and not independent thinkers

Great company for my career so far!

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Performance is recognized and rewarded. Sr. Management team is in sync with the employees.

Cons

Growing rapidly - PRA is not immune to typical growing pains as we expand through acquisition.

Keep PRA's performance based, employee-centric culture from being diluted during high-growth times. It's important to remember what got us here...

As a CRA, there's pros and there's cons. It's part of the job.

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Highly organized. Pay is comparable to those who have the experience. Excellent benefits package and PTO. Online systems and interactions with FMs and CRAs are great.

Cons

Some CTMs micromanage and difficult to build rapport due to inheriting studies from past CRAs that reflect poorly on those CRAs trying to catch-up.

Allocation of CRAs should begin from the beginning of studies.

Review

Former Employee - CDC in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - CDC in Lenexa, KS

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They tried to give employees life work balance but did not always work as they thought it would. When on salary worked with people for appointment that needed to be done.

Cons

When was told something by manager this did not always happen, lack of training throughout time there, managers need to know how all systems work,

training is for everyone benefits so get people the training they ask for, management needs to be honest with employees

thank god I'm finally out of there - main page photo = huge clue to the ageism!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at PRA Health Sciences part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

some good people who are fully aware of the unfairness and bullying that occurs but are powerless to do anything about it.

Cons

Where do I start with how toxic a place can be. The 0.1% of rotten apples that poison the PRA barrel have a dictatorial approach to management that borders on the paranoid. Young faces fit and are allowed to do what they like, provided they say yes, share multitudinous fag breaks (even if they don't smoke) and never ever point out the emperor has no clothes. The grievance and disciplinary procedure requires the employee to have a thorough knowledge of the law and their rights and even this does not help, as HR will ALWAYS uphold the inconsistencies and abuse by a management who use it to promote their own personal and prejudiced agenda. This leads to a morally defeated and bullied workforce who live in fear of their every thought and move being scrutinized should they for whatever reason unknown to the employee fall into the bad books of management. There is no rhyme or reason to who or how to get promoted, it is very hit and miss seeming to depend on who is or not in favour, (or on facebook) regardless of experience or ability. The high turnover of staff is due to them seeking other avenues so they can be treated as adults and better prospects of promotion due to ability rather than favouritism.
    My advice to prospective employees: DON'T! Unless your prepared to learn nothing, bolster a flagging management and be stuck in one company as there are no transferable skills to be learnt here.

Facebook is not a good way to decide who gets promoted.
    Practice what you preach. don't expect respect when you do one thing and say another.
    Stay with PRA as without it = spineless and talentless.

A good place to get your foot in the door

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Young work environment. Work ours are flexible for certain departments. Option to work from home a few days a week a plus.

Cons

Low salary compared to industry standard. Company has a tendency to keep around incompetent employees. Management has no interest in employees' goals/needs/interests. Very little room for growth and no opportunities for promotions. A lot of overtime due to high turnover. Too much office politics nothing ever gets accomplished.

Please consider making our salaries competitive. The lack of retention makes the work place a miserable place to be due to the amount of overtime and high pressure from management to meet deadlines. Furthermore, all competent employees are getting recruited by competitors leaving incompetent employees at PRA. A more thorough review of employees is necessary. It's very easy to not do your job and still continue to get paid at this company.

Horrible experience

Current Employee - Contracts Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Contracts Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PTO was decent, nice breakfast on Fridays, office space was well kept and stocked

Cons

worst management I have experienced in 8 years of working, gossip, internal growth and promotions are rare, no transparency, no communication (you feel like you are being lied to)

Take better care of your employees. If you continue to misuse and abuse your employees, those employees will become "former" employees, and will end up working for your clients or your competitors.

Worst experience in my professional career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary. Very few pros at this time.

Cons

Each group is run as an autonomous entity. Managers are allowed to bully employees with HR consent. Outdated technology with little to no processes in place. Training is non-existent.

Remove poor middle management that are worker bees with no ability to manage people.

Negotiate job title and salary well when offered job because promotions are rare...

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Strives for all employees to perform quality work, proud to say I work at PRA, ability to work from home if you're not located near offices, great benefits (medical and PTO)

Cons

Most times there isn't a work life balance that company claims they want employees to have, studies are constantly under bid, bonuses are a joke when metrics are unattainable due to workload or reasons out of your control, promotions in clin ops don't seem to ever occur or if you're finally offered a promotion, often times it's after you've given notice or provided them an offer letter you received elsewhere

Bid realistically, value employees more, allow CRAs to use airlines that make more sense to home airport, make bonuses more attainable, promote faster especially when it's for more senior level of current position

Great management

Current Employee - Site Management Associate in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Site Management Associate in Horsham, PA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This office has a great culture. Management is very transparent and truly cares about and respects their employees which is a great feeling especially being so low on the totem pole. Management is always working to make us happy and make sure our working potential is at it's best. There is never any issues with taking time off or working alternative hours- great work/life balance!

Cons

I would prefer if working from home was more routine for all employees. Management is automatically given 2 days/week to work from home however it is a case by case basis for all other employees. Management is good about allowing employees to work from home with an acceptable excuse however I feel that it should be regular for all employess especially since it has little to no impact on the work we do.

Working from home is no longer just a perk in the work place, it is a way to maintain good employees. It appears as if the main factor in turnover recently has been based on office location and commute times which can be easily corrected by allowing employees to work from home more frequently.

PRA Health Sciences Photos