PRA International

PRA International Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

PRA International President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon

Colin Shannon

Pros:
  • "Very good ongoing training, tries to keep work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Option to work from home a few days a week a plus"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance goes out the door within 2 months of hire"
    in 11 reviews
  • "It's rare to receive recognition for hard work from upper management which lowers staff morale"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a good employment experience

I have been working at PRA International full-time

ProsBenefits are good
People are great to work with
Vacation is 4 weeks a year
Sponsors are great
Location in Raleigh is good

ConsLeadership of the company in all departments
No career path for employees
Raises are small
Frustrating environment
Employee turnover is extremely high and management is aware with nothing done

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the things that employees are telling HR are broken instead of just ignoring the problems. There are alot of good people with are employed there.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stay away

Applications Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at PRA International full-time for less than a year

Prosgood vacation package
good insurance
good salaries

ConsEmployees are poorly treated, with no family/work balance. Very arrogant management that think they know everything and consulting companies are the holly grail. Many good people have left the company and still no one cares, employees (especially good ones) are thought of as replaceable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at how you are leading this company, your people are your MOST valuable asset.

Terrible Company to Work For

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at PRA International full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Coffee and Free Gross Breakfast on Fridays [for fat loving southerners!]

Cons1) Very poor management at all levels
2) Many Napoleons & Hitlers running the company
3) CEO non-existant and hires his friends in UK as consutants, not very ethical
4) No understanding of work life balance at all
5) Discrimination and harrassment in many depts within the organization
6) HR dept. non-existant
7) Too many chiefs and Indiana are treated like dirt
8) Unethical behavior by management very acceptable
9) Stay away from this sinking ship!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and smell the coffee that you serve so freely!

Enjoyable experience as a Project Associate II at PRA International

Project Associate II (Current Employee)
Lenexa, KS

I have been working at PRA International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work/life balance.
Starting 4 week annual vacation.
Many career advancement opportunities in other departments.

ConsNo career advancement in the Project Associate department. You must transfer to another department before advancing, which can be difficult at times.

Sad to see so many people leaving!

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at PRA International full-time for less than a year

ProsKeurig Coffee System - yummy coffee at your fingertips!
Great Christmas Party
Monthly activities for employees

ConsManagers are power hungry
Lack of flexibility
Not family friendly work environment
Inept bonus plans
Good Ol' boy system at work
Merit increases unfairly distributed

Advice to Senior Managementfollow the path of the turnover and it will lead to managment issues - severe, unaddressed, management issues. in many cases, managers have full power over who gets promoted, who gets salary increases, and how merit is distributed. In my department, there were gross salary inequities and those issues were raised, but ignored. there were numerous complaints about our manager's lack of flexibility and harsh and unpredictable attitude and communication style...again, that was ignored. Employees are frustrated and fed up to the point that they are leaving in extremely high numbers.

Great Company!

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at PRA International full-time for less than a year

ProsPRA is great about benefits and PTO.

ConsTraining is a little lacking. New employees tend to feel a little lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssign a GOOD mentor to every new employee and make sure the mentor is being attentive.

Ghost town: Mass exodus of key stake-holders, hiring freeze, unhappy employees, empty offices/cubes, employees on edge!

I have been working at PRA International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, breakfast every Friday, and nice office space.

ConsZERO accountability for management and lack of flexibility! If your manager is kissing the right (rear end) or making his/her boss look good, it doesn't matter how he/she treats you. It's a shame to feel forced to leave an otherwise decent job because of managers who are allowed to bully employees! This company purports to being big on Work/Life balance but employees no longer enjoy the flexibility that we once had! You are coerced into using PTO for practically every 30 minutes that you're not at your desk! This company also used to allow work from home privileges; however, that has dissolved. Pucker Up: This is a company where only kissing the right (rear ends) pays off and bullying/poor managers aren't held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate the people you allow to manage others!!! Offer employee surveys - at least "pretend" that you're interested in hearing employee's concerns. You're losing talented people in droves!

A company in rapid decline

Principal Analysis Programmer (Former Employee)
Lenexa, KS

I worked at PRA International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking environment allowed me to acquire the skills and motivation to get much better employment elsewhere.

ConsSenior management has been trying to sell the company for quite some time. To make their bottom line look sweeter to potential buyers, they have been denying decent compensation, raises, and bonuses to everybody but themselves. Now even their most loyal employees are leaving in droves.

Earlier this year their website had several hundred job openings. Most of them have since been removed. They can no longer justify them due to negative growth and lack of interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeveral of your former employees are now working for competing CROs. Many, like me, are now key decision makers at pharmaceutical companies, i.e. your customer base. This is why you are experiencing negative growth and cannot find a buyer for your company. It's all about how you treat your employees.

Frustrating and a waste of energy and time

Contracts Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at PRA International

ProsBenefits are great
PTO is pretty fair
Nice xmas party
Seems like each department is run uniquely- some departments are better than others.

ConsLack of administrative and equipment support ( ex: budget negotiators weren't given proper equipment to do their jobs, i.e. a calculator!)
No training and high turnover so you are thrown onto poorly-run studies and constantly putting out fires you didn't create.
Horrible communication between executive management, middle management and those on the ground.
No transparency, bad aura.
It is clear that executive management believes that monkeys could do the work, so you are easily replaceable.
Back-stabbing and gossip run rampant, so better make sure your managers like you.
Promotions and raises are hard to come by and are completely political and subjective (not merit-based).
One of the most demoralizing places I have worked- no recognition for going above and beyond, no real incentive to do better, and a lack of respect toward employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and give them a reason to work hard for you. Treat people like crap and work is always going to suffer and good people are going to leave.
There are good people who work under you. I'm sure you don't know it. But if you actually supported employee professional growth, you'd be much better off down the road when you are looking for a buyer.

Great place to work overall

I have been working at PRA International

ProsGreat work/life balance. You are always encouraged to take time off if you can. Most employees are really nice people.

ConsThere have been a lot of recent changes within clinical operations. Specifically, they are bringing in lots of inexperienced employees because they can pay them little. This has put a lot of strain on the experienced employees who have to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue experience instead of cheap inexperienced labor. Get feedback from employees before making large operational changes. Continue valuing a healthy work/life balance

Worked for PRA International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PRA International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PRA International CEO Colin Shannon . All 136 reviews posted anonymously by PRA International employees.