PRA International

PRA International Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

PRA International President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon

Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Very good ongoing training, tries to keep work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members(in 14 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing(in 13 reviews)

Not a good fit.

ProsThe physical office spaces were elegant and nice to look at. It really felt like a professional place to work.

ConsCompensation was on par, but in the interview process I was told I would be eligible for a raise within six months, but after being hired, I realized that was not the reality at all. I would have had to work 18 mos or more to be re-evaluated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe familiar with the company's policies on promotions and review cycles so potential employees make well-informed decisions when faced with a long review cycle.

No work life balance

Clinical Team Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTechnology and benefits are all very good.

ConsThere is no work life balance with studies continually under budgeted and/or under resourced. Constant trainings (SOPs) are great but include time to review when we're allocated to projects so we actually have time to complete them. Bonuses are few and far between and merit increases are a joke. Unless you're someone's favorite, it takes over 2.5 years to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well so they want to stay. Get rid of the mentality that you can continue to push employees.

Great work life balance!

ProsGreat benefits and time off. Managers try their best to be supportive and helpful.

ConsHorrible at promoting from within. Salary isn't as competitive as it could be compared to industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Will always consider PRA my home.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Training for new hires and on-going
    Good Technology; always looking to get the best technology
    Lots of varied experience across peers to use as resources

ConsLeadership
    communication down to the masses
    Got too big and lost that nice family feel; more of a number now than a part of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your leaders know the job positions and departments that they are over. Promote more from within.

OK but needs improvement

Project Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic co-workers, work life balance good, benefits are comparable, management is pleasant and flexible. Great training ground for clinical research.

ConsIt can come off that managers play favorites, career growth is hard to come by don't expect a promotion even if you qualify. Management will say the right buzz words to keep you interested and make you stay but things rarely materialize.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the employees that deserve to be promoted or you risk losing them to competitors.

Sad declining company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

Prosgreat benefits and the individual people are good to work with daily

Conssenior management doesn't know what they are doing, vasr turn over, no valve placed on experience, this company has been run into the ground by ex-PPD staff, no original PRA culture exist which was a good environment to work in.
    It is a shame to see the decline in this company over the years

Advice to Senior ManagementValve your employees and their knowledge and communicate with them

Miserable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was adequate at the start, but after working 75 hours per week, the salary didn't equate. The medical benefits were good.

ConsThere was no flexibility, at least in the department I worked in. The manager had no people skills. Staff was afraid of getting caught having a conversation that was not 'company' related and they were afraid to have an open line of communication for fear of retaliation. There was no work/life balance, always understaffed and work their best people the hardest. You lose 1/2 of your accrued PTO upon departure from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees so that you can retain good talent.

Clinical Research Associate

ProsGood systems, training is very organized

ConsHigh turnover, travel too much

I cannot recommend this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThere are many dedicated and talented staff
    Offices and office amenities are very nice

ConsHigh cultural toxicity
    Lacking vision and communications, transparency
    Poor upper management cohesiveness
    Top performers not recognized - cronyism abounds
    Decisions made without due diligence

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for new blood - need a complete overhaul of CEO and at least 2 levels of management from there.

Growing Pains

ProsGreat people, benefits, great company as far as what they do.

ConsLack of communication, egos, favorites.

Worked for PRA International? Contribute to the Community!