PREMIER System Integrators

Like No Other Company

Current Employee - Engineer in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at PREMIER System Integrators full-time

Pros

I have worked for several large corporations and several start-ups, and PREMIER is like no other company I've ever worked for. Career growth is truly performance-based and one's hardships (travel, off-hours, overtime) are well rewarded. This is a place where hard workers and over-achievers can thrive.

The opportunities for technical, professional, and personal growth are endless. The mentorship is phenomenal. PREMIER is very interested in rounding out my skills rather than pigeonholing me in one specific area. Performance reviews are frequent, helpful, and fair. The exposure to upper management is a huge benefit for anyone coming from a corporate work environment with closed doors and glass ceilings.

I get flex time, part in a great profit-sharing program, and very bright co-workers. An influx of new projects keeps the work fresh. Travel is minimal. The dress code is lax. The company as a whole exudes professionalism, emphasizes safety, and sets a precedent for always doing the right thing. The company is positioned for steady long-term growth.

Cons

PREMIER works a 45-hour week instead of a typical 40 hours. Most people work between 45 and 50 hours per week. This can cut into some people's home life, depending on what you're used to. Additionally, work weeks can reach 60-70 hours a couple times a year when plants shut down and we go in to make upgrades.

Continue to uphold the company values, to hire brilliant engineers, and to promote from within. You've done a terrific job building a company of individuals who are passionate about this company and about this line of work. Continue to grow without changing the culture and values that make working for this company so rewarding.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Middletown, OH

I worked at PREMIER System Integrators full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PREMIER has the smartest and most talented engineers I have encountered. Especially after parting ways with PREMIER I have realized the impressiveness of their knowledge, talent and culture . They actively promote continuous improvement and are very accepting of suggestions to improve the end product given to the customer. The quality of the mentoring I received through my co-op and associate engineer years was amazing, it was clear they were interested in my development as an engineer and as a professional. I would recommend PREMIER to any young engineer looking to gain technical skills. While they maintain standards across projects, they allow the project team to interact directly with the customer to make sure they are getting exactly what they want and need. Working at PREMIER you will have the advantage of learning a number of different industries. I enjoyed the opportunity of moving between process, utilities, and packaging applications. The ability to quickly learn a new process and design a control system from drawings, panel build, PLC Programming, HMI Development and Startup makes PREMIER's employees unique and versatile. Especially in the Middletown office, employees are encouraged to be cross trained on all aspects of the projects, creating very knowledgeable well rounded engineers.

Cons

PREMIER has had a challenging time growing into a larger company. Going from a small company where everyone knew one another to a company with multiple offices with many employees who have never met. To help try to keep things fair they have made black and white policies and attempt to enforce them uniformly across the company . However, there are situations that are not exactly what the policies were meant to address and management can be slow to address these issues. However, PREMIER was able to make adjustments to their policies over the last seven years that were fair to both PREMIER and employees. Travel can be excessive at times, but that is the nature of working for an integrator. Some employees get pigeonholed with a specific customer despite PREMIER's efforts to get them varied experiences.

Keep listening to employee suggestions. Consider discussing the employee ownership program with employees at a certain time in their tenure with the company. It is often discussed during interviews and the on-boarding process but then, despite promotion, the topic seems veiled in secrecy. Consider making Middletown office it's own business unit.

COOP Program is Full of Opportunities to Learn & Experience Real Engineering

Former Employee - COOP Controls Engineer in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - COOP Controls Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I worked at PREMIER System Integrators full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-COOP employees are given the opportunity to learn many different aspects of controls engineering
    -Everyone I worked with was very willing to help you learn and become a better engineer
    -Provides Housing to COOP employees (good luck finding that elsewhere)
    -Strong focus on making sure COOPs achieve any goals they set for themselves
    -Solid plan for continuous company expansion

Cons

-Potentially long hours during shutdowns, but this gives you a real feel for what being a controls engineer is all about

-Keep on making your COOPs feel valued to build a strong, talented pool of employees.

Excellent Co-op Experience

Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Middletown, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Middletown, OH

I have been working at PREMIER System Integrators as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

PREMIER's Cincinnati office is a friendly, productive environment for controls engineers. These contracts fluctuate in length and scale – anywhere between two weeks and upwards several months. Business contracts are estimated to be 70-80% in-office design work and 20-30% field-execution.
    PREMIER adopts a team-oriented culture, sizing teams to reflect a project’s scale. Such an approach relies heavily on personal responsibility and quality of players. To that end, PREMIER appears dedicated to hiring employees who are passionate about controls engineering. Cincinnati's teams are overseen by the Account Delivery Manager who handles the business front of projects, allowing teams to allow focus on the technical front without much micromanagement. Employees are very knowledgeable, share common satisfaction as system integrators, and were were very supportive of my engineering development.
    Projects teams are expected to execute all stages of design, install, and support until completion which is incredibly rewarding. Moreover, project scopes are diverse, typically include travel, and are short enough to maintain freshness.

Cons

PREMIER's procedures and online submission forms for time sheets, expense reports, and reviews can be confusing. There is no company credit card for hotel and travel so purchases are handled through reimbursement which can be inconvenient. PREMIER, in the long term, is currently sustained by returning business.

Be more aggressive in expanding your customer base for the Cincinnati office.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Co-Op Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at PREMIER System Integrators as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

An excellent experience. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful toward young aspiring Engineers. All the experience you need to make it in Controls Engineering industry can be gained from a one-year duration of Co-op with this company. You will not be treated like a "do-boy" sending faxes and getting coffee. You will be given the amount of responsibility and difficulty of work you prove yourself to be capable of handling. As a Co-op I designed control panels and developed PLC software that is currently working and making product. It is a great feeling of accomplishment and a learning experience far more than any textbook can give you.

PREMIER often hires previous Co-op students upon graduation so if you decide to Co-op here you are making a very smart career move. The Smyrna location offers free housing to Co-op students in the form of a very nice, fully furnished house in a nice neighborhood. You pay for nothing except for food in the fridge. That alone should tell you how much they put into this program and how much they value the students. I recently graduated and accepted a full-time position with PREMIER and am very excited about my future with the company.

Cons

Some teams travel out of state up to 30% of the year. Also during plant shutdowns (for some teams) expect to hit 60-70 hours a week but this is only a few times a year. Not really a con but something to be aware of. If either of these are absolutely not an option for you, mention it before accepting the position.

Good people, no foresight

Former Employee - Coop Engineer in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Coop Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I worked at PREMIER System Integrators

Pros

Excellent engineers/people in general
    good training
    down to earth, small-company style
    Interesting projects
    lots of variety for some project teams
    housing provided for interns
    good internship experience

Cons

Company's success is built upon the broken backs of a few dozen individuals.
    45 hour 'average' work week is actually 45 hour minimum
    dog-eat-dog profit sharing plan
    work/life balance is a bad joke
    Company depends on too few customers
    If your considering cooping there, the provided housing is draconian

Diversify your product/customer base. Reward people who are producing, not just those that put in a lot of hours. Let your other managers/project leads do their jobs, don't just ask for automatons.

Worst Environment I Have Experienced

Former Employee - Engineer in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I worked at PREMIER System Integrators

Pros

If you want to work in the systems development business in Rutherford County Tennessee.

Cons

Arrogant owner.
    Middle management is meek and frightened.
    Long hours, little praise, plenty of criticism.
    Coding techniques are non-standard and won't prepare you for work elsewhere.

Show some spine.
    Don't sit and watch while KC bullies others when you know he has no basis for it.
    Don't be bullied into deals that you know will lose money and expect the engineers to work 80 hours a week to make up for bad judgment.

Be ethical even when you are criticized for it.

PREMIER System Integrators Photos