PSA Airlines

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.7

Dion Flannery

Adequate company to work for

Current Employee - Scheduler in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Dayton, OH

I have been working at PSA Airlines full-time

Pros

For the most part , a good group of co-workers

Cons

Long hours & Low pay

Actually not advice for mgmnt, but, for the current pilot who is putting down the scheduling dept! I can guarantee that you would not put up with being talked to the way alot of crewmembers talk to the schedulers! We aren't out to ruin your life! We don't care that much about your life! We are trying to do our job, which is to cover the flights in order to avoid cancels & delays! And, if the crewmembers would do their jobs, which is to fly their schedule than we wouldnt
    have to change schedules, jrm, etc....

Was one of the best jobs I have had in aviation, but after a management change, everyone was micromanaged.

Former Employee - Director in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Dayton, OH

I worked at PSA Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Grate benefits and pass benefits. mature workforce. Parent company, US Airways, great to work with. Pilots at PSA have the ability to move up to US Airways. American merger appears to be good for PSA.

Cons

Lack of trust between management and employee groups. Penny wish, pound foolish. Dictatorial style of management. Rules and expectations change constantly.

Listen to employees and let your employees do their job. Get out and visit with front line employees, it is the only way you can get to know what is really going on.

Good place to start a FA career

I have been working at PSA Airlines

Pros

Small company, paid training, really good trainers, nice staff

Cons

Small company, Schedulers can be cold, cruel and nonsensical, pay isn't on the same level as major airlines

I like it but I wish it was better.

I have been working at PSA Airlines

Pros

The TRAVEL benefits! The friends I have made. My schedule is great. I dont think that I could go back to working 5 days a week again.

Cons

The pay is horrible if you are not in a Union. There is no room to further my career. A lot of the managers are not even around to deal with any issues that arise. Corporate events or any events rather involve only the day shift. Forget about the other shifts.

Needs a total upgrade! And pay your people better so they will have incentive to stay.

Good for starting pilots but not well run from the users perspective

Current Employee - First Officer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - First Officer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at PSA Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain -121 time and many descent co-workers.

Cons

Pay is terrible for the first few years especially considering the pre-requisits for obtaining such a position as well as the responsibility. The scheduling system for the lower seniority pilots is very poor as their is nearly zero control over whether you'll be flying or sitting for long periods of time. Though on duty, planning anything around a 2-hour window (which could consume your next few hours to next 3-4 days) is completely unreliable. This scheduling inefficiency will occasionally even spill into and affect plans you may have made for your days off. 'Sorry, that's how it is'.

Fix scheduling and begin treating well trained, passenger-carrying pilots as such. Though many are young and some have made this their first job in the airlines -- for many this isn't their first rodeo and have much experience to offer and should be valued a bit more for said experience.

Great place, great people, great experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vandalia, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vandalia, OH

I worked at PSA Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Certain departments will allow you to gain a vast knowledge of experience. If the department is small chances are you will probably wear multiple hats. Great managers in most departments and you will know everyone in the office. Employee appreciation events. Good benefits

Cons

Outside of the unions, most positions are underpaid. Great managers in most departments and you will know everyone in the office. Some managers aren't stellar.

PSA obviously does not want quality employees with experience and no misconceptions regarding the position.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at PSA Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to apply online.

Cons

Never given a chance to present myself or qualifications in person before being turned down.

With so many new employees quiting after a short time on the job, you would think a veteran to the airline industry would have a chance for at least an interview possibility.

If you dreamed of being an aviation dispatcher, this company will ruin your dreams

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Dayton, OH

I worked at PSA Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great flight benifits, and some great people willing to help, if they were given the oppoutunity.

Cons

I had no experience dispatching when I hired on here, nor any knowledge of the computer software used at PSA. When hired in, I had 2 weeks of dispatch classes and 2 weeks of pilot familiarization classes. One week of dispatch class followed by pilot familiarization, then back to dispatch. The first day on the job, the dispatch supervisor told me they only had one person qualified to train new dispatchers, and the impression I got was this wasn't a good thing. Turns out it wasn't. I spent most of the first week watching my instructor play on here Facebook, and look at horse auction websites. There were very little hands on training. Or any training. After three 10 hour days of watching her dispatch flights quickly so she could get back to her Facebook and horse auctions, she finally started showing me the steps to dispatch a flight. During the 3 Facebook/horse auction 10 hour days, other dispatchers offered to let me sit by them so I could watch a dispatcher actually doing their jobs, They were told to leave me alonr, that SHE was training me. The last day of training before pilot familiarization classes, the dispatch supervisor called me in his office and told me my trainer said I was incompetent on the computer as if I had never used a computer before. She had 30 hours to teach me the software and used the majority of this time on her facebook and web browsing. I did tell the supervisor step by step how to use the software to dispatch, and he seemed satisfied I knew that. The pilot familiarization classes were tough but the instructor was very good, and I did learn a lot from him. Towards the end of these classes, he asked me how the dispatching side was working out, and I told him how poorly I was being trained. He printed out a check list of things I had to know, and told me to show it to the dispatch trainer when I got back. I did that, and she pretty much just brushed it aside. As the time for my training was coming close to an end, she spent a little more time training me. Little is the key word. I came in on my own free time on a Saturday to work with another dispatcher who was great. I learned more in those 10 hours than the 60 or 70 hours spent with the qualified trainer. My last day of training my trainer was telling me I was ready to go and at the end of the day I would stop off at the supervisors to make plans for my familiarization flight. I was happy, but worried because of my lack of training, but a couple of other dispatchers told me not to worry, I would be working with some good people on the night shift, and they would be more than willing to help me learn. So, I walked into the dispatch supervisors office expecting to make my travel plans, and was told" It looks like you've made a breakthrough, but we spent too much money on you, and we're letting you go" I was speechless. The whole time this "trainer" was telling me I was doing a good job, she was telling him something entirely different. I spent a LOT of my own time and money getting this dispatcher license, and even decided to go for a degree in aviation technology in hopes of getting a job with PSA. I was told by my "trainer" the dispatch course at Sinclair Community College was a big joke. I should have known then something wasn't right. My first day of training I noticed the other dispatchers were doing what they were supposed to do, watching the weather, following the flights, ect, while my "trainer" was busy facebooking and looking for horses to buy. My experience at PSA has made me re-think my dream of being a dispatcher, or ever working for any airlines. I am 53 years old, have had a lot of different jobs in my life, but have never been treated so shabbily by any company..

Get someone to actually train someone in the dispatch office. Other dispatchers saw I wasn't being trained, and knew it. Your "trainer" refused to let them help me while she did her own thing. I did not cost you a lot of money, your qualified trainer cost you a lot of money by not doing her job. You lost what would have been a good loyal emploee.

Too much negative to list

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at PSA Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You build flight time and sometimes your paychecks are correct

Cons

Pay is very low, and many pilots have very large student loan bills to pay (usually well over $100K) on top of normal costs of living. New hire pilots have had to spend weeks or months living out of their cars as they cannot afford rent on such low pay.
    Management is done through fear. Lower management in all departments seems to be filled with "yes men", who are simply place holders for required positions. This fear has been historically created from example pilots in the training department, which is really more of an evaluation/attrition department. Since evaluations are solely at the discretion of one particular instructor at a time, certain instructors have been the axe men for the company leaving pilots little recourse and ultimately hurting their future careers.
    The only real training I have received in my time with the company has been during my initial hiring. Since then "training" has been in the form of memos and emails stating new procedures. Everything else has been evaluations with little or no practice/training before events. This is especially troubling since many new hire pilots have had record low flight time before joining an airline. It would make more sense to increase training time, but unfortunately I believe management sees that increase in safety as just costing too much money.
    There are basically many obstacles in a pilot's way to advance their career at this company and there are many other better options available in this industry considering a possible shortage of pilots in the near future.

A complete renovation of corporate culture needs to take place. This includes a change in personnel in upper management and a complete redesign of all departments to allow for far less micromanagement. This idea of management and "training" through fear needs to be completely deconstructed. A pilot should not have to stress out about annual checks as if their job and careers depended on it. We could be valuable resources if only the company would take the time and effort to help us grow and become better. All employees should feel wanted, inspired, and feel as if they are truly contributing to the success of the company.

When you pay peanuts, you get a circus

Current Employee - First Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - First Officer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at PSA Airlines full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck for flying a jet.

Cons

Worst reserve work rules in the airline industry
    mediocore pay rates
    5-6 year upgrade to Captain
    been in contract neg for 3 years with no pay raise
    hostile relationship with short-sighted management
    Someone would have to be crazy to go into debt to do this for a living

Wake up, you don't have a company if you don't take of your people.

PSA Airlines Photos