PSA Airlines

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

2.6

Keith D. Houk

Good for starting pilots but not well run from the users perspective

Current Employee - First Officer  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - First Officer in Dayton, OH

Pros

Gain -121 time and many descent co-workers.

Cons

Pay is terrible for the first few years especially considering the pre-requisits for obtaining such a position as well as the responsibility. The scheduling system for the lower seniority pilots is very poor as their is nearly zero control over whether you'll be flying or sitting for long periods of time. Though on duty, planning anything around a 2-hour window (which could consume your next few hours to next 3-4 days) is completely unreliable. This scheduling inefficiency will occasionally even spill into and affect plans you may have made for your days off. 'Sorry, that's how it is'.

Fix scheduling and begin treating well trained, passenger-carrying pilots as such. Though many are young and some have made this their first job in the airlines -- for many this isn't their first rodeo and have much experience to offer and should be valued a bit more for said experience.

Great place, great people, great experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vandalia, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vandalia, OH

Pros

Certain departments will allow you to gain a vast knowledge of experience. If the department is small chances are you will probably wear multiple hats. Great managers in most departments and you will know everyone in the office. Employee appreciation events. Good benefits

Cons

Outside of the unions, most positions are underpaid. Great managers in most departments and you will know everyone in the office. Some managers aren't stellar.

PSA obviously does not want quality employees with experience and no misconceptions regarding the position.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

Pros

The ability to apply online.

Cons

Never given a chance to present myself or qualifications in person before being turned down.

With so many new employees quiting after a short time on the job, you would think a veteran to the airline industry would have a chance for at least an interview possibility.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you dreamed of being an aviation dispatcher, this company will ruin your dreams

Former Employee - Dispatcher  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Dayton, OH

Pros

Great flight benifits, and some great people willing to help, if they were given the oppoutunity.

Cons

I had no experience dispatching when I hired on here, nor any knowledge of the computer software used at PSA. When hired in, I had 2 weeks of dispatch classes and 2 weeks of pilot familiarization classes. One week of dispatch class followed by pilot familiarization, then back to dispatch. The first day on the job, the dispatch supervisor told me they only had one person qualified to train new dispatchers, and the impression I got was this wasn't a good thing. Turns out it wasn't. I spent most of the first week watching my instructor play on here Facebook, and look at horse auction websites. There were very little hands on training. Or any training. After three 10 hour days of watching her dispatch flights quickly so she could get back to her Facebook and horse auctions, she finally started showing me the steps to dispatch a flight. During the 3 Facebook/horse auction 10 hour days, other dispatchers offered to let me sit by them so I could watch a dispatcher actually doing their jobs, They were told to leave me alonr, that SHE was training me. The last day of training before pilot familiarization classes, the dispatch supervisor called me in his office and told me my trainer said I was incompetent on the computer as if I had never used a computer before. She had 30 hours to teach me the software and used the majority of this time on her facebook and web browsing. I did tell the supervisor step by step how to use the software to dispatch, and he seemed satisfied I knew that. The pilot familiarization classes were tough but the instructor was very good, and I did learn a lot from him. Towards the end of these classes, he asked me how the dispatching side was working out, and I told him how poorly I was being trained. He printed out a check list of things I had to know, and told me to show it to the dispatch trainer when I got back. I did that, and she pretty much just brushed it aside. As the time for my training was coming close to an end, she spent a little more time training me. Little is the key word. I came in on my own free time on a Saturday to work with another dispatcher who was great. I learned more in those 10 hours than the 60 or 70 hours spent with the qualified trainer. My last day of training my trainer was telling me I was ready to go and at the end of the day I would stop off at the supervisors to make plans for my familiarization flight. I was happy, but worried because of my lack of training, but a couple of other dispatchers told me not to worry, I would be working with some good people on the night shift, and they would be more than willing to help me learn. So, I walked into the dispatch supervisors office expecting to make my travel plans, and was told" It looks like you've made a breakthrough, but we spent too much money on you, and we're letting you go" I was speechless. The whole time this "trainer" was telling me I was doing a good job, she was telling him something entirely different. I spent a LOT of my own time and money getting this dispatcher license, and even decided to go for a degree in aviation technology in hopes of getting a job with PSA. I was told by my "trainer" the dispatch course at Sinclair Community College was a big joke. I should have known then something wasn't right. My first day of training I noticed the other dispatchers were doing what they were supposed to do, watching the weather, following the flights, ect, while my "trainer" was busy facebooking and looking for horses to buy. My experience at PSA has made me re-think my dream of being a dispatcher, or ever working for any airlines. I am 53 years old, have had a lot of different jobs in my life, but have never been treated so shabbily by any company..

Get someone to actually train someone in the dispatch office. Other dispatchers saw I wasn't being trained, and knew it. Your "trainer" refused to let them help me while she did her own thing. I did not cost you a lot of money, your qualified trainer cost you a lot of money by not doing her job. You lost what would have been a good loyal emploee.

Too much negative to list

Current Employee - Airline Pilot  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Charlotte, NC

Pros

You build flight time and sometimes your paychecks are correct

Cons

Pay is very low, and many pilots have very large student loan bills to pay (usually well over $100K) on top of normal costs of living. New hire pilots have had to spend weeks or months living out of their cars as they cannot afford rent on such low pay.
    Management is done through fear. Lower management in all departments seems to be filled with "yes men", who are simply place holders for required positions. This fear has been historically created from example pilots in the training department, which is really more of an evaluation/attrition department. Since evaluations are solely at the discretion of one particular instructor at a time, certain instructors have been the axe men for the company leaving pilots little recourse and ultimately hurting their future careers.
    The only real training I have received in my time with the company has been during my initial hiring. Since then "training" has been in the form of memos and emails stating new procedures. Everything else has been evaluations with little or no practice/training before events. This is especially troubling since many new hire pilots have had record low flight time before joining an airline. It would make more sense to increase training time, but unfortunately I believe management sees that increase in safety as just costing too much money.
    There are basically many obstacles in a pilot's way to advance their career at this company and there are many other better options available in this industry considering a possible shortage of pilots in the near future.

A complete renovation of corporate culture needs to take place. This includes a change in personnel in upper management and a complete redesign of all departments to allow for far less micromanagement. This idea of management and "training" through fear needs to be completely deconstructed. A pilot should not have to stress out about annual checks as if their job and careers depended on it. We could be valuable resources if only the company would take the time and effort to help us grow and become better. All employees should feel wanted, inspired, and feel as if they are truly contributing to the success of the company.

When you pay peanuts, you get a circus

Current Employee - First Officer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - First Officer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's a paycheck for flying a jet.

Cons

Worst reserve work rules in the airline industry
    mediocore pay rates
    5-6 year upgrade to Captain
    been in contract neg for 3 years with no pay raise
    hostile relationship with short-sighted management
    Someone would have to be crazy to go into debt to do this for a living

Wake up, you don't have a company if you don't take of your people.

Don't value women in management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

Specific managers are good at creating an engaging environment for their specific departments but it is not consistant throughout the entire organization.

Cons

Again, specific managers are good at creating an engaging environment for their specific departments but it is not consistant throughout the entire organization. The other downside is that outside of pilot or flight attendant training, ongoing skills training or recurrency is not valued. There is no emphasis on keeping up with current business skills or trends.

Training and skill updating should be valued otherwise employees and their contributions become stagnant. Managers should be given more forcus on the soft skills such as how to effectively communicate with their employees and even communicate with their peers. Too many managers are bullies and try to run roughshod over everyone else.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Captain  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Captain in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's a job. You get flight time. It gives you experience necessary to get a better paying job. After 10 years you get a decent 401.

Cons

10 year old contract. Lots of unpaid working hours. Management motiviates thru fear. Training dept is considered a testing dept with pilots. No extra pay for working holidays, no credit for working them as well. Hotels are chosen on price only. Location of many are in not very desirable locations. We get paid 72hrs/month but work 50 plus/week.

Tripping over a quarter to save a dime isn't working. If you want us to care about on time performance and fuel burn then you need to care about us. Wearing out employees isn't going to make us more productive.

Not Good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vandalia, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vandalia, OH

Pros

Travel benefits when you have time.

Cons

No leadership and inconsistencies in management.

There is no leadership at PSA. At least not in my department. Every department is important. Take some leadership classes.

being an express flight attendant isn't what you think

Former Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Vandalia, OH
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Vandalia, OH

Pros

The friends you can make,networking opportunites and of course Travel benefits!

Cons

poor working conditions, poor quality of life, bad hotels and you can easily fly anywhere between 18-30 flights a week it can seriously deteriorate your health as a flight attendant especially if you're a woman.by far the flight attendant pay is horrific considering you manage all aspects of cabin operations and cabin safety.

decrease turnover and pay higher salaries to keep quality employees

Worked for PSA Airlines? Contribute to the Community!