PSAV

PSAV Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain

Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, provide a clothing allowance which is nice (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This work will consume you if you let it so work/life balance is important (in 18 reviews)

• There are often very long hours especially during busy season (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

PSAV continues to be a very positive environment for me

ProsSupport from the executive level managers has been fantastic. Benefits and culture have been great for me, but it definitely depends on what region of the country you are in.

ConsEven for salaried management, the required hours can be a roller coaster. Do your research regarding the size of the time at the hotel and what talents and skills are on-site.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor properties located outside of large city markets, more work needs to be done to circle the wagons and make those staff members feel like a part of the larger picture.

Great place work with plenty of opportunity for career growth!

PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions (Current Employee) Lake Buena Vista, FL

ProsTop three places to work in Central Florida region. Career Opportunities nation wide.

ConsAs of late we have merged a few major companies into the organization. The culture of the company and communications have been in a slight gray area but improving nonetheless.

Great place to work

Director, Event Technology (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAs a Director we are trusted with the day tot day operation of our location. Upper management always has an ear for what is needed by us in the trenches.

ConsCan be a little Bean county at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Management/Terrible Hours

Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Doing audio visual work in a nice hotel (if you're lucky)

-Starting pay at $16 (but you're booked out at $80 or $90 depending if you tech a event or not)

Cons-No set hours all random, never know how much work you will or won't get

-All audio folks are generally so full of themselves it's amazing

-too many stories about people getting screwed over to mention here

-3 other friends of mine were fired for ridiculous reasons (3 OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW!!!)

-Management is full of drug addicts and fat booze heads

Advice to Senior Management-say "thank you" to the employees who break their neck for you

Poor equipment, indifferent managers, low pay

AV Technician - Freelance (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey seem to have a lot of work available.

ConsFor a company aquired for a billion dollars by Goldman Sacks (as they were rumored to have done) they sure have a lot of crappy gear. The equipment requires a ton of extra work to make it functional. As an AV tech for 20 years, I can jerry-rig with the best of them, but it gets tiresome. Maybe spend a little of that large cash on some new gear and paying some of your in-house people enough that they'll stick around long enough to learn how to do this job well.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more for quality people and gear - you'll make more moeny in the long run.

Could be better

Event Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsLargest in house hotel a/v company in the world with a focus on profits. They are always growing by acquiring more hotel contacts or purchasing their competitors.

ConsBenefits and compensation are below industry average. They prefer to hire cheap labor over skilled labor making it difficult to execute the most elaborate of events.

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate your team based on skills and expertise delivered vs solely on tenure and rank. Work on closing the gap with the disconnect between management and technical/operations staff.

Assistant Director of Event Technology

ADET (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt is a paycheck
    Promoted quickly from technician to Assistant Director (less than 2 years)

ConsHaving come in through the merger, things haven't changed for the better. Being at one of the busiest properties in downtown Chicago, we have been under staffed, under paid, under appreciated and then criticized for our poor performance. The fact that we have even made money these past few months with the amount of union labor we have had to use is nothing short of a miracle. Our techs are getting 20 hours of overtime every check. my Director works 14 hour days 6-7 days a week. it gets ridiculous, and stressful when you put in 11-14 hour days every day as a salaried employee, then you feel bad taking 2 days off because everyone else is working so hard.

they sell the bonuses for salaried management. I have yet to see a bonus bigger than $50.00.....really makes those 30 hour overnight shifts worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly don't even know what to suggest. It's so far from organized and efficient I wouldn't know where to start. Our RVP does everything he can but has no power anymore (legacy swank) the company seems so against paying people a fair wage, yet has no problem paying out union labor and over time? I assume my property is the exception to their cost cutting fat trimming techniques. makes money everywhere else, they will eat the cost at our property.

Independent and flexible work...not very reliable

Event Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNot a 9-5, decent pay, good pace

ConsNever know when or where you will be called, little to no training, not much upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop better training, spread the work out among employees

Has been a great experience.

ProsUnlimted opprotunity, if you are willing to strech and takes chances

ConsBuerocracy can cause too much time and too many proceedures, to accomplishi a simple task.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to learn from the company best practices, instead of simply speaking to it.

It is what it is.

ProsAt least It is not unemployment....

ConsPoor work/life balance. Faceless corporation. Pays less than 1/3 of union wage.

Worked for PSAV? Contribute to the Community!