PSAV

Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Decent pay for the small amount of work involved (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance please know if you are not the person in charge you don't have a life to balance (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours with somewhat unrealistic expectations for staffing and time management (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Audio Visual Driver Technician

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician Driver
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician Driver

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Long working hours if you can handle it

Great Work, Long Hours

Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PSAV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy working with audio-visual gear, this company is a great opportunity. Working with PSAV, I've learned advanced projection skills, rigging, and lighting to complement the expertise in audio and video i had learned at previous jobs. If you get to work at a large property, you will get to learn it all. Smaller properties have similar opportunities, but not as frequently and not on as big of a scale.

Cons

The hours are the worst part. PSAV has a responsibility to ensure that someone from the company is on site whenever a client is using the company's equipment. Oftentimes, this means hanging out in an office alone on a quiet day, checking in on clients, waiting for a radio call for a/v assistance. I've been placed at a property where this isn't usually the case, but it happens almost every time I visit a smaller PSAV location and even sometimes at the larger ones.

Your employees are not your cheap a/v production crew. They aren't freelancers doing one-off gigs with breaks in between. This is our lifestyle, and we need to be scheduled and considered in such a way that reflects an appreciation for this job being apart of our lifestyle. We technicians understand that this job requires some long hours, but if those long hours seem to be assigned indiscriminately, just to fill time and not directly connected to our customer's needs, we'll feel disrespected and that you are waisting our time.

Demanding career

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation time adds every TEN years with the company, full compensation for travel, great management

Cons

Expensive health insurance, a lot of travel involved

Great experience, lots of challenges that test ability

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist III
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist III

I have been working at PSAV part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for rewarding experience with lots of hours.

Cons

The property someone works at could possibly make or break them

Upper management needs to be organized and willing to reach out to all clients

Largest, good event technology company

Current Employee - Director of Event Technology in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Event Technology in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Much room for advancement, with good bonuses. Great teams, made up of great people.

Cons

Really depends a lot on the right property, and/ or region, whether it will be the right place for you.
    LONG hours, never enough people.

Communicate more...as we're in the communications industry.

Lackluster

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

Stability - working for a 1 billion dollar company allows you to rely on that paycheck every two weeks
    Schedule Flexibility

Cons

Inconsistency from region to region
    Poor salary levels and commissions structures - which offers zero incentive to perform well
    Lack of vision and no desire to become truly competitive on a global market
    Poor training and development opportunities
    Many opportunities for career advancement are based upon how often you fraternize and get drunk with upper level management as opposed to actual skill set

Establish a true company culture, and hold upper level management accountable. The majority of your workforce has zero brand loyalty and will leave the moment a new opportunity presents itself. You have no idea how many truly talented individuals that could have assisted in propelling PSAV into the modern market have already left the organization and how many will continue to do so.

It started off well with good intentions but got turned into them taking advantage of everyone in the workplace.

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay decently and they give benefits.

Cons

I was a salaried employee and the company decided that even though I was working 60 hours a week without overtime that they were going to take everyone that wasn't in a management roles salary away and make them hourly while significantly cutting there hours. They took advantage of everyone while on salary and then hung us out to dry when we went hourly.

They need to realize that some people are horrible managers and remind themselves that you need to take care of your employees for them to want to be at work and have a good attitude there.

Not good.

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None since the merger with Swank. Not many before that.

Cons

Influx of terrible middle and upper management with terrible SOPs since the merger. I don't know how this company keeps repeat clients...highest prices, customer service failures, unqualified employees and management.

For employees there is no work/life balance unless work is your life or you don't care about your job (which, sadly, most managers do not). Experience and loyalty take a backseat to politics and cronyism. You'll work 70 hours one week with shifts all around the clock and 20 the next, while your colleague works 40 hours a week with the same shifts from month to month to month. Again, politics.

Do not work here unless you're damn sure it can be a stepping stone to somewhere else that will treat you better and look better on a resume.

New compensation plan - Sales Managers

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at PSAV

Pros

Can't think of any at the moment.

Cons

Absolutely Ridiculous commission plan. The sales guy makes his sales numbers only to be told that the Adjusted Gross Profit target was not achieved due to the fact that the margin of profitability was outside the range. Therefore you only receive .5%. The Regional managers looks for different properties to shift expenses off their P&L statement so they hit their numbers and the downline guys making the sales gets clipped. Do not work for an inexperienced Director of Technology as they are easy targets for the regional hawks. The sales model is not clear until you are expecting some nice checks. Older management Swank people are dead weight and hang on to old practices.

Get rid of the regional people who are Swank has beens. They lack style and integrity. The company is very top heavy with legacy staff.

Fun company to work for with endless opportunity

Current Employee - Senior ETS in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior ETS in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Multiple locations easy to transfer to other states/countries, lots of mobility within the company.

Cons

People that have been with the company for a long time but not showing improvement or drive don't get fired or moved bringing moral down at some location. Being in the events industry your work/home life suffers. Hours are long and inconsistent.

Encourage your over achievers and find the people that are hurting your moral and address the issue. If someone hasn't been promoted since they started find the problem and fix it.