PSAV

Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Decent pay for the small amount of work involved (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance please know if you are not the person in charge you don't have a life to balance (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours with somewhat unrealistic expectations for staffing and time management (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

It's okay...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSAV

Pros

Benefits was pretty good since they were a big company

Cons

I was there for 6 years and we never gotten any bonuses, discouraging environment and it's a dying industry

Take care of back office people

Lots of opportunity in a short amount of time

Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions
    Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are generally good to work with. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Company is growing very fast and they need to fill positions. Trend is to fill from within, so if you start at the bottom and show that you have potential, you can move up quick.

Cons

Training has been a major concern, but it is getting much better in recent months. Pay seems a bit low when considering the industry. But the hours are good, so it probably evens out.

Continue the training initiatives and get the sales and operation's computer systems worked out.

Hello HR?... Hello?

Former Employee - Technician in Number One, KY
    Former Employee - Technician in Number One, KY

I worked at PSAV part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned a few things from this company's many mistakes. I was employed, kinda. My paycheck showed up on time

Cons

Where do I begin? Hopefully you won't have to find out. HR does not exist. They employ "people" that they label HR but none of them actually help you. Even as an employee, to them, you're just a number. They never ask your name, just your number. Even then, there's ALWAYS a problem or confusion. Most unorganized, dysfunctional company I've seen. It's people like this that make me believe computers will take over jobs one day, and in this case I can see why

Get managers who give half a crap about their employees and an HR department that exists.

Senior technician

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

You will learn a lot. Lots of hands on learning

Cons

Crazy hours and not enough appreciation

Pay your employees a little better and more appreciation

Audio Visual Driver Technician

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician Driver
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician Driver

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

Long working hours if you can handle it

Great Work, Long Hours

Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PSAV full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy working with audio-visual gear, this company is a great opportunity. Working with PSAV, I've learned advanced projection skills, rigging, and lighting to complement the expertise in audio and video i had learned at previous jobs. If you get to work at a large property, you will get to learn it all. Smaller properties have similar opportunities, but not as frequently and not on as big of a scale.

Cons

The hours are the worst part. PSAV has a responsibility to ensure that someone from the company is on site whenever a client is using the company's equipment. Oftentimes, this means hanging out in an office alone on a quiet day, checking in on clients, waiting for a radio call for a/v assistance. I've been placed at a property where this isn't usually the case, but it happens almost every time I visit a smaller PSAV location and even sometimes at the larger ones.

Your employees are not your cheap a/v production crew. They aren't freelancers doing one-off gigs with breaks in between. This is our lifestyle, and we need to be scheduled and considered in such a way that reflects an appreciation for this job being apart of our lifestyle. We technicians understand that this job requires some long hours, but if those long hours seem to be assigned indiscriminately, just to fill time and not directly connected to our customer's needs, we'll feel disrespected and that you are waisting our time.

Good company, giving good salary for overseas worker

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Calamba, Laguna (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Calamba, Laguna (Philippines)

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you want to work with refurbishing process and learn a lot of techniques, this company is one of the best. Also the treatment to employees is great.

Cons

Environment is the challenge and how to adapt to it.

More training for employees

Demanding career

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation time adds every TEN years with the company, full compensation for travel, great management

Cons

Expensive health insurance, a lot of travel involved

Lackluster

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

Stability - working for a 1 billion dollar company allows you to rely on that paycheck every two weeks
    Schedule Flexibility

Cons

Inconsistency from region to region
    Poor salary levels and commissions structures - which offers zero incentive to perform well
    Lack of vision and no desire to become truly competitive on a global market
    Poor training and development opportunities
    Many opportunities for career advancement are based upon how often you fraternize and get drunk with upper level management as opposed to actual skill set

Establish a true company culture, and hold upper level management accountable. The majority of your workforce has zero brand loyalty and will leave the moment a new opportunity presents itself. You have no idea how many truly talented individuals that could have assisted in propelling PSAV into the modern market have already left the organization and how many will continue to do so.

It started off well with good intentions but got turned into them taking advantage of everyone in the workplace.

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay decently and they give benefits.

Cons

I was a salaried employee and the company decided that even though I was working 60 hours a week without overtime that they were going to take everyone that wasn't in a management roles salary away and make them hourly while significantly cutting there hours. They took advantage of everyone while on salary and then hung us out to dry when we went hourly.

They need to realize that some people are horrible managers and remind themselves that you need to take care of your employees for them to want to be at work and have a good attitude there.