PSAV

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Decent pay for the small amount of work involved (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance please know if you are not the person in charge you don't have a life to balance (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours with somewhat unrealistic expectations for staffing and time management (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Keeps getting better

Current Employee - Technician in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Technician in South Florida, FL

I have been working at PSAV (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since merger dust settled things have been great. Glad to see training classes being offered and being taken seriously when we have suggestions or issues. No bs. Managers and techs are about getting the job done and don't tolerate high school gossip (in most locations) They're honest even when you don't want to hear it but at least you know where you stand unlike some bosses out there.

Cons

Sometimes feels to big but management try's to keep everyone connected. Pay could be better

Glad we are getting more opportunities to work at other hotels. Try to let everyone know about available shifts in a better way.

You can do better

Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Event Technology Specialist II in Atlanta, GA

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on experience, meeting some cool people

Cons

Crappy pay, horrible hours, terrible management

Wasted way too much time with this company. If you are going to take a job here, use them to gain knowledge with all the gear you can then bounce for a freelance job or other better paying av gig. Advancement is near impossible unless you constantly screw up then you will achieve a promotion. Good luck.

Good company with strong future.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Event Technology in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Event Technology in Miami, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management is supportive and promotes career growth. Good work-life balance. Plenty of growth opportunity.

Cons

Compensations is somewhat lean. Benefits package is not the best. Quality of coworkers is not consistent throughout the company, although the company has put measures in place to improve this.

I'm Glad I Left, but I wish I would have left much sooner, 20 + months of my life of which I can never get back

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will hire anyone who can pass a drug test and has the gift of gab, and being a corporate troll is always a plus. Management is a pro at never accepting accountability for their lackluster communication, work ethic, and over all hands off managerial stance, all the while making sure to be little their subordinates, discourage open communication between management staff and hourly staff . Management is classic for being the last one to show up to the office, and the first one to leave, and they can do this because they are salary and will be paid regardless of how few hours they actually work
    This company is classic for moving employees around large metropolitan cities despite how it will affect the employee. Management's point of view on this is "you can either move to this other location, that is not where you were originally hired, against your wishes, or you can be reduced to either part time hours, or no hours at all. Keep in mind, you signed an offer letter that states which property you will be working at, management and HR are so tight, your "offer letter" is just a formality nothing on it is "truly etched in stone, and can be changed base off of the need of the company, / i.e. what ever the RVP wants"

Cons

Be prepared to be treated like pawn in a chest game, and the game is all at the amusement of your RVP who may very well be the DEVIL himself.
    Whether working on the Operations side or the sales side, please know that "YOU can be replaced, You are One of many." If you think that working hard, putting in long hours, establishing a great hotel to PSAV relationship, receive positive recognition from both hotel management staff and clients, will be accomplishments that your DET, DOS, RVP or anyone else of "notability within PSAV" will care and value about you, you are wrong. Instead barely learn how to operate any AV equipment, that includes setting it up or striking it, suck up to management by keeping "tabs" on your coworkers, dress nice, but have a sneaky and underhanded attitude and aura, oh and by all means make sure that you greet every one, and you'll succeed beyond your peers. This will set you on the path of climbing that corporate ladder. Oh and I almost forgot, if you want to go straight to the local branch location and get promoted at the same time, do the following: be unbearable, no relentlessly unpleasant to all of your peers, and labeled "hard to get along with" but great with paper work, and reading numbers, you know like a schedule of some sort, or how much is stock of this and that, yeah, good by hotels, and hello regular 9-5 hours with "great" pay.

Work/Life Balance please know if you are not the person in charge you don't have a life to balance. For some reason life will not go on if you are at the beck and call of PSAV hotel division.

Compensation: I know for a fact that PSAV could afford to give me a 15% increase, that's because they started my initial so low, I'm not even classified as "working poor" I actually made in the salary range of "Poor, and working"

Culture & Values: Culture - if you're not management you don't matter. Value- PSAV values the ability to suck the joy and life right out of you, if they could take your soul they would, but since they don't have one of their own, they don't see any value in yours.

Allow employees to give an anonymous evaluation on their managers, so that you know how your employees are being treated. If there was a way to give PSAV an F- (negative F) I would.

Event Technology Specialist

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at PSAV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

training benefits and plenty of work

Cons

not always 40 hours and paid by the hour

More work life balance would be nice

A low paying job for jobless techs.

I worked at PSAV part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture isn't bad. People are mostly friendly. A lot of former audio, video, or road techs. Co-mingle with the office/hotel as well.

Cons

A lot of work for very little pay. Not a fan of the uniforms. Bad management. Disgruntled employees. Very corporate.

Pay your people better. Learn to manage the shows and talent better.

Change is constant

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

You will always have something to do. The company is run like each division is its own company so there is always projects and efforts going on.

Cons

There is no consistency and change is always happening. The environment is very fast with people who don't know what they want but they just want it done. No leadership at the top and no communication between divisions. This is not to mention that I have had more bosses at PSAV than in my whole 15+ year career.

AV Technician

Current Employee - AV Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - AV Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good way to get experience, decent pay, good insurance and PTO

Cons

Unpredictable scheduling, no room for advancement, seasonal work, little to no pay scale advancement. Very little training.

Poor equipment, indifferent managers, low pay

Current Employee - AV Technician - Freelance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - AV Technician - Freelance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PSAV as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

They seem to have a lot of work available.

Cons

For a company aquired for a billion dollars by Goldman Sacks (as they were rumored to have done) they sure have a lot of crappy gear. The equipment requires a ton of extra work to make it functional. As an AV tech for 20 years, I can jerry-rig with the best of them, but it gets tiresome. Maybe spend a little of that large cash on some new gear and paying some of your in-house people enough that they'll stick around long enough to learn how to do this job well.

Pay more for quality people and gear - you'll make more moeny in the long run.

Awful Management/Terrible Hours

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at PSAV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Doing audio visual work in a nice hotel (if you're lucky)

-Starting pay at $16 (but you're booked out at $80 or $90 depending if you tech a event or not)

Cons

-No set hours all random, never know how much work you will or won't get

-All audio folks are generally so full of themselves it's amazing

-too many stories about people getting screwed over to mention here

-3 other friends of mine were fired for ridiculous reasons (3 OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW!!!)

-Management is full of drug addicts and fat booze heads

-say "thank you" to the employees who break their neck for you