PSAV Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Decent pay for the small amount of work involved (in 11 reviews)

• Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance please know if you are not the person in charge you don't have a life to balance (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours with somewhat unrealistic expectations for staffing and time management (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

PSAV is a company where hard work, determination, and self motivation is a survival skill not a trait that is reward.

Former Employee - Assistant Directto Event Technology
    Former Employee - Assistant Directto Event Technology

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I find there was NO professional or personal growth, life-work balance for property level management, over worked, under paid no corporate management or HR support.

Cons

No corporate management or HR support for property level management teams. No logistical support for regional properties.

If they don't know then, then problem is worse than I thought!

Unless you're in sales or a manager, this job is basically manual labor with AV.

Former Employee - AV Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - AV Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at PSAV part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and expand your skills in AV/Rigging, although you won't get paid much for it. You get to witness and experience how the Customer Service Industry in hotels and venues are run, from firsthand.

Cons

Very low pay - severely underpay their employees; inconsistent scheduling; They overhired too many people as well as swallow smaller companies in nonstop mergers, therefore adding more unemployed, underemployed employees to their workforce. They pay and schedule (outside) freelance AV techs way more than they do their own employees. No advancement or growth, except for management, no benefits or perks. And if you are one of the lucky few who receive regular full-time hours, your schedule changes weekly and are discouraged from pursuing other (freelance) opportunities outside of PSAV. Company culture and morale is very poor. The only ones who are doing in this company - middle management (Directors etc.)

Do better. Change the culture and the way you you do business with your employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Director, Event Technology in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Event Technology in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Director we are trusted with the day tot day operation of our location. Upper management always has an ear for what is needed by us in the trenches.

Cons

Can be a little Bean county at times.

Awful Management/Terrible Hours

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at PSAV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Doing audio visual work in a nice hotel (if you're lucky)

-Starting pay at $16 (but you're booked out at $80 or $90 depending if you tech a event or not)

Cons

-No set hours all random, never know how much work you will or won't get

-All audio folks are generally so full of themselves it's amazing

-too many stories about people getting screwed over to mention here

-3 other friends of mine were fired for ridiculous reasons (3 OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW!!!)

-Management is full of drug addicts and fat booze heads

-say "thank you" to the employees who break their neck for you

Poor equipment, indifferent managers, low pay

Current Employee - AV Technician - Freelance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - AV Technician - Freelance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PSAV as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

They seem to have a lot of work available.

Cons

For a company aquired for a billion dollars by Goldman Sacks (as they were rumored to have done) they sure have a lot of crappy gear. The equipment requires a ton of extra work to make it functional. As an AV tech for 20 years, I can jerry-rig with the best of them, but it gets tiresome. Maybe spend a little of that large cash on some new gear and paying some of your in-house people enough that they'll stick around long enough to learn how to do this job well.

Pay more for quality people and gear - you'll make more moeny in the long run.

Poor culture, couldn't wait to leave

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at PSAV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly posting positions nationwide in a variety of positions and entrance levels. Somewhat competitive compensation depending on the location you live/work.

Cons

Poor senior and mid management creates a very negative culture and lacks a sense of community. No investment in the on location employees, most hourly employees are treated as disposable and thus there are constantly new hires filling roles that should be filled by more seasoned employees. The work hours are awful, consisting of any hour of the day, mainly nights and weekends, with low end compensation especially for new employees. The support staff in the warehouse make near minimum wage and thus there is very little pride taken in the work performed. There is far too many managers, likely due to the merger of several companies, thus hampering decision making and making it almost impossible to create and install new policies and procedures. Multiple branches operate on a variety of payroll and inventory systems that don't sync together. This company is still in chaos after mergers with chief competitors and thus the internal atmosphere is still that of them vs us between employees from the acquired companies.

Cut out atleast 50% of mid and upper management and reinvest in the true heart of the business, your people in the hotels and on the shows.The gap in salaries between regional management and entry level positions is absurdly out of proportion.

Assistant Director of Event Technology

Current Employee - ADET in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ADET in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a paycheck
    Promoted quickly from technician to Assistant Director (less than 2 years)

Cons

Having come in through the merger, things haven't changed for the better. Being at one of the busiest properties in downtown Chicago, we have been under staffed, under paid, under appreciated and then criticized for our poor performance. The fact that we have even made money these past few months with the amount of union labor we have had to use is nothing short of a miracle. Our techs are getting 20 hours of overtime every check. my Director works 14 hour days 6-7 days a week. it gets ridiculous, and stressful when you put in 11-14 hour days every day as a salaried employee, then you feel bad taking 2 days off because everyone else is working so hard.

they sell the bonuses for salaried management. I have yet to see a bonus bigger than $50.00.....really makes those 30 hour overnight shifts worth it

I honestly don't even know what to suggest. It's so far from organized and efficient I wouldn't know where to start. Our RVP does everything he can but has no power anymore (legacy swank) the company seems so against paying people a fair wage, yet has no problem paying out union labor and over time? I assume my property is the exception to their cost cutting fat trimming techniques. makes money everywhere else, they will eat the cost at our property.

Could be better

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Largest in house hotel a/v company in the world with a focus on profits. They are always growing by acquiring more hotel contacts or purchasing their competitors.

Cons

Benefits and compensation are below industry average. They prefer to hire cheap labor over skilled labor making it difficult to execute the most elaborate of events.

compensate your team based on skills and expertise delivered vs solely on tenure and rank. Work on closing the gap with the disconnect between management and technical/operations staff.

Independent and flexible work...not very reliable

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PSAV part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a 9-5, decent pay, good pace

Cons

Never know when or where you will be called, little to no training, not much upward mobility

Develop better training, spread the work out among employees

certain to collapse at some point

I have been working at PSAV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Every region and location is different, and there are some good managers and techs out there. Despite the long hours, AV work can be tons of fun when it’s going well. So I imagine somewhere there are some locations that are well supported and have what they need to do the job right and the employees at those locations are happy. I've never been to one, but I suppose they could exist.

Cons

PSAV has no unique selling proposition, no specific benefits to offer clients to differentiate themselves. Instead, PSAV offers the highest prices in the industry, coupled with the most sub-par equipment and talent less technicians. It is a middle man business model and with just a bit of shopping around potential customers will quickly find they can get much better services for drastically better prices from any number of competitors who are not burdened with hotel contracts.

PSAV wins contracts by making offers to hotels that are so ridiculously in the hotel’s favor that the hotel has very little to lose by signing them. Winning as many of these contracts as possible is priority number one; no expense is spared and no terms are too outrageous. After these horrible contracts have been won, a management team is put in place (sometimes just one person), but they are not given the equipment, people, or tools they need to do the job properly – providing AV services for meetings and events. If you complain about this arrangement promises are usually made of new equipment and more staff and training programs etc, but these things never materialize. Then, when things go bad, that manager or management team that was never given what they needed to be successful in the first place will be blamed, and their careers will be in jeopardy. You see, there is a really thick layer of discombobulated corporate bureaucracy to insulate senior leadership from anything that doesn't go well, and the lower operational manager is always at fault for not following some policy they were never made aware of, or for not filling out some form that they had never been shown before. “It’s on the website” is usually the defense, as if simply publishing some instructions somewhere on some un-navigable intranet site with thousands of pages is all one needs to provide to managers for them to successfully run a location.

I have watch this cycle play itself out now with several colleagues. A few of them have been some of the hardest working and dedicated coworkers I've ever had, and their lives have been ruined by this process. It is completely demoralizing and soul crushing to watch.

I suppose the idea behind winning so many hotel agreements no matter how bad the terms was part of a strategy to create a monopoly within the industry that would look great to investors. Pretty much every major decision of the past few years was made to make to company look good to investors. So little was being put back into the business before the merger, before the buyout, and now it feels as though there is even less to work with. That’s too bad. The company is spread so far and so thin that from my perspective it seems destine to implode unless it gets a major infusion of capital. It seems unlikely that anyone is going to want to make that investment as long as the company is perpetually for sale.

I think it’s worth mentioning that I sincerely fear for my safety working for PSAV. AV can be dangerous stuff, particularly on big shows. I’ve sustained a few injures already, luckily nothing serious, but all of them could have been avoided if I had simply had enough people working with me. That’s how tight they are, trying to cut labor cost is the second biggest priority after signing bad contracts. Seriously, what type of company consistently has 300+ open positions on their website month after month in this job market? One you do not want to work for.

64%of all US hotels now offer guest free internet. I hope your future business models include the rapid disappearance of this revenue stream. You’re kidding yourself if you think you can “educate the market”. It works the other way around.

I’ve been around senior leadership. They’re not bad people, but they are not the least bit curious about how anything works at the operational level. In my many year of running locations, not once has anyone above me ever asked me “what could we be doing to help you be more profitable at your location?” It’s always “you need to be doing this, you need to be doing that” almost always from someone who has never done my job or even curious about how I do it.

We have these little cards with 15 corporate values on them that we are supposed to keep in our pockets and carry around with us and talk about every day, things like honesty, integrity, etc. We should throw them out, and replace them with new cards that just say one thing: EBITDA