PSAV Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
3.1

PSAV CEO Mike McIlwain
Mike McIlwain

Pros
  • Lots of room for advancement, but it will require a lot of commitment (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, provide a clothing allowance which is nice (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This work will consume you if you let it so work/life balance is important (in 18 reviews)

• There are often very long hours especially during busy season (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Tons Of opportunity, if your willing to work hard

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

Alot of career development opportunities. Promotes from within. encourages personal empowerment and ownership. a great environment for natural leaders to thrive.

Cons

long hours. inconsistent job duties.

focus on the passion our employees have and why they are in the technology field in the first place.

Replaceable, Numbers focused

I have been working at PSAV part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Big company, plenty of staff rollover so not hard to move up the ladder. (If you're willing to forfeit a raise.)

If you're skilled enough, you can force their hand into calling you for a gig.

Cons

From a Part-time/As needed (8 years) perspective.

90% of the time you come in, you get no diagram, a sub-par list of gear and told to use your best judgement (Which gives management the opportunity to save face and throw you under the bus.)

If you are missing gear or pieces of the gear you are simply told to "Do the best you can do..."

Management is completely disconnected from labor and will cut corners to make their numbers. I've had to Run Audio, Moving Lights, Switch for Projection, and Switch for Record ALL BY MYSELF for a show. They lost that client yet the client requested me as a tech for another vendor.

Constantly being told I'm too expensive when my rate is $10/hr below their 2008 standards of pay email I was sent.

All full-time techs are severely mistreated. I've witnessed very talented techs being told that "You don't have to work here, we'll find someone else." after the techs would express safety and/or logistics concerns. They would also be told when they are allowed to take time off which is subject to change even after it's been approved and if the tech had a problem with it they would be told the former quote up above. If mistakes were made you were yelled at in front of the client and for all to see.

Full time techs are also not guaranteed 32 hours a week. I've seen them get 8-10 for three weeks straight and get to hear them stressing out over rent and bills for a job that should be fun and busy.

After being called in for a ballroom set which would be 2 guys (3 if you're lucky) for a 6-10 hour call, management would waltz into the ballroom before leaving and say "Oh yeah, you guys need to set 10 or so breakouts when you finish here."

If it's after 5 O'clock forget the management and/or sales dept. to have facetime with the client... It's all on you.

Have been asked to use my personal auto insurance when I was involved in a minor collision with a building. Considering that I was driving illegally because I had worked 20 hours straight prior to getting into the cab of the truck which I packed by myself top to bottom (24ft. truck, which I'm sure was close to overweight.) and was instructed to skip weigh stations.

When you train someone (When management asks you to.) you are training your cheaper replacement. I went from making $20,000/yr off of PSAV to $2,500/yr.

They start talented technicians at around $11-15/hr (Even in California, I've called) and they won't see a dollar over for 5+ years. You can make $11/hr delivering pizzas and I'm pretty sure this is a SKILLED LABOR industry. Their benefits package costs more than it does for me to pay for my own insurance so don't let them throw that in your face either.

Now saying all that, I know it's because local management is constantly under the gun by regional management and so on up the ladder. That's how they get talked to (I've been privy to walking in on these conference calls and here the absolute belittling undertones.) so then that attitude gets passed down. I COMPLETELY SYMPATHIZE with lower management and have padded my hours before so they could make their commission.

Please ask yourself what you're worth and then treat your techs better, they are the reason you have the job you do. Your success depends on their success and they are currently not being treated that way. Right now the money you make is coming out of their pockets NOT the clients.

Employees should never be under the constant threat of replacement.

And if you're reading this post in disgust and not concern? Then fire yourself.

I'm writing this with the knowledge that you could potentially track me down, but after 8 years and diminishing gigs (Even though your clients absolutely love me and have proactively asked for a business card and sent care packages to my door) I believe this is a worthy wake up call.

Secure & Challenging

Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - PSAV Sales Manager - Hotel Divisions in Orlando, FL

I have been working at PSAV full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunity to move up and about in many different regions worldwide. Decent pay. Challenging but attainable goals.

Cons

Work gets repetitive after a while but I guess that happens in most industries.

More money needs to be spent on keeping our equipment current.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Showed their chauvinistic side within 2 days.

I have been working at PSAV full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay for the small amount of work involved.

Cons

Never able to get my system set up after being there for weeks. I also heard horrible stories and rumors from multiple coworkers. I was pulled aside and told to be "cognizant of my reputation" on my second day for laughing with a coworker of the opposite gender during training. I later found out I was ratted out on by a senior manager who seems to like said employee and only promotes males in the office regardless of seniority or experience. I requested training day after day and got told there was none and they didn't have time to train me.

Promote some women... Only one female manager in sight is a huge red flag for a new female employee...

Seasonal furloughs & long hours, with an ability to move up quickly

Current Employee - ETS II  in  Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - ETS II in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at PSAV full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, if you love event technology in a corporate environment. Lots of properties around the world, which provides ample opportunity to move—and move up—if you're willing to move, sacrifice your personal life (when in-season/at busy properties) and know how to "play the corporate game."

Cons

18-plus-hour-days way too common (not bad with OT & DT, when you're hourly - not as good when you're salary). Most properties aren't well equipped with quality gear - let alone state-of-the-art. Pay is below average, unless you negotiate hard for it - and then, it's about average.

Better training and more accurate measurement of skills might ensure higher quality of service for the client and more pride in the work for the employees. Certifications and better pay may have potential for attracting superior career-oriented professionals in the event tech industry.

Big company with an entrepreneurial spirit

I have been working at PSAV full-time

Pros

Ambition and work ethic are rewarded. Thousands of locations mean a ton of opportunity, depending on what you want to do. Fiscally responsible with a good profit margin means stability.

Cons

Some planning is a bit seat-of-the-pants. I don't know if this is at the executive level, or just because of poor inter-department planning. Nothing huge, but it creates some inefficiencies.

Better planning at the corporate level.

It's up to you

I have been working at PSAV

Pros

Great chance for advancement if you apply yourself and get the job done. Your attitude and actions determine hoe far you go.

Cons

It's a service industry job that can have long irregular hour and is occasionally a thankless (from the client) role.

Techs are not just labor hours... They have lives and loved ones. If you treat them with respect and are honest with them, they will give you more than just someone punching a time card.

Good Company to work for.

I have been working at PSAV full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They provide you with a lot of tools to do your job

Cons

Finding opportunities as you progress through the ranks

Listen to the teams in the hotels.

Progressive responsibility for top performers

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSAV full-time

Pros

Team members have the opportunity to move up within the organization assuming they perform well and are flexible for next steps/locations. If you are open to learn new skills, speak up and you'll have more options.

Cons

There are often very long hours especially during busy season. Team members can get lost in the shuffle of over 1200 locations.

Communicate with ALL employees more regularly. Halt rumor mills with truth.

Looks good on a resume

Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist III
    Current Employee - Event Technology Specialist III

I have been working at PSAV full-time

Pros

Use this job as a stepping stone to something better. There is valuable experience to be gained that you can take elsewhere. Directors are very helpful, but upper management only cares about the bottom line.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for what can be accomplished with limited help, no set schedule or hours, working nights and weekends, spending your "day off" on call. You will work 60 hours one week, then 20-30 the next, with no notice ahead of time. incompetent sales staff results in technicians having to negotiate prices on the spot. This job is not an audiovisual gig. It is 90% hotel and customer service.

The business model is not sustainable. Corporate is trying to make the company as profitable as possible by cutting hourly labor, and working salary guys until they inevitably burn out. Hire enough help and actually let them work their hours, so that employees can have a somewhat reasonable work-life balance. Put an actual PSAV employee in each hotel sales office, don't leave it up to someone in catering to know what equipment we need.

Worked for PSAV? Contribute to the Community!