PSC Group

1 Rating

Interesting Work, But The Management Creates Its Own Problems

Current Employee - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at PSC Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging and tough projects. You know you are making a difference with customers.

Cons

Hands off management style. Let's get a little more involved.

Get involved

Potential is limited

I worked at PSC Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good individual expertise and individual contributors are welcome

Cons

Not very collaborative and definitely not respectful of softer approaches to management and practice building

Be much more holistic and look for long-term solutions...not just point in time or immediate gratification

Great place to work!

I have been working at PSC Group full-time

Pros

I have worked at PSC for a few years and think it's a great place to work! They provide opportunities to learn, outside of your day to day responsibilities, with their Five Points of Excellence Program. Managers are receptive to training opportunities if you're interested. They're very open about the company, where it stands, and plans for the future. It's definitely a collaborative group of people!

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Keep doing what you're doing!

PSC Group really SUCKS!!!

Former Contractor - Senior Solutions Architect in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Solutions Architect in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSC Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

At least they paid me and their checks actually cleared

Cons

No project management - unless you consider the managers running around yelling that the sky is falling because they don't know how to manage a project. The projects are haphazard, low res and few.

Upper Management is clueless and non-technical, I'm not quite sure where their money comes from. They gauge company success by the number of employees they have sitting around.

They say they are a $24 million dollar company, but act like a $10 thousand company. They don't have enough desks, monitors, keyboards and mice for the office. And even though there's no where to sit at the office you cannot work from home.

When you can find a desk you will spend a lot of time in that office studying whatever because they don't have enough work. They promise a billing bonus of overtime for every hour that u work past 40 per week. Then they change it to over 80 in two weeks. They don't have enough work to bill you out for more than 20 hours per week.

But that doesn't matter, even if you did the Manager of the Microsoft practice goes in and manipulates your hours to make the numbers totally different than what you worked.

This is a bad company to work for. They will give you a stack of books to read to start "Molding" your way of thinking. You will be required to attend after hours brainwashing sessions to comply to their "Five points of excellence" program. Some BullS**t program of motivation concocted by one of the owners - He has delusions of writing a book about it.

They say they are one of the "Top 101 places to work" that is based on an internal survey they give you every week. They claim it's anonymous - but if you answer negatively you will be fired that day.

Get a clue. Realize that you are no longer in the 20th century. Lotus migrations and AS400 projects aren't enough to sustain a workforce in this century.

Smart, capable employees

I worked at PSC Group

Pros

Liked the people and the philosophy of the company. Smart people. Interesting niche. Invest in employees. Try to build new capabilities.

Cons

Leadership challenges - I felt I was mislead and discarded. I was promised things which were never followed up on, let alone followed through on.

Your actions don't match your words. Practice what you preach.

Every person for themselves

Former Contractor - Senior Consultant
    Former Contractor - Senior Consultant

I worked at PSC Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

A nice stopover till your next real job. Consultants support each other.

Cons

There is little to no collaboration and no project management. They sell projects with unrealistic expectations and come down on the consultants when they fail to meet timelines. They will go after any business in any industry and will often go over budget and exceed timeframes. Theeir clients take it out on the consultants. The we get beaten down by management.

Focus on one industry or application. Get some project managers and train the salesmen to sell projects realistically.

Very flat. No scope for career development.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PSC Group

Pros

They usually get challenging projects.

Cons

No scope for career advancement.

None.

Interesting work, but the management creates its own problems

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSC Group

Pros

Challenging, tough projects. You know you are making a difference with customers from the projects you are doing. Customers respect PSC's people and want them there. You will learn a lot. Management style is hands off.

Cons

When projects go well things are great, but the hands off management style cause trouble for consultants. If a project runs into trouble the management often makes it worse by micromanaging the consultants while blaming the customer at the same time. Plan to drive a lot.

PSC needs a person with authority on the management team who is a customer advocate rather than focus simply on the bottom line.

Local work, great benefits, good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PSC Group

Pros

Great place to do consulting around Chicago, usually working in small teams for local mid-size companies. It's nice to have local work, and the benefits are great.

Cons

Work is often in the suburbs which requires a lot of driving through traffic. Many people don't mind because at least they can be home every night, but it can get tiring.

Consider opening up a location in the loop, or otherwise finding work that is more amenable to using public transportation.

Management very poor

Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at PSC Group

Pros

Good work life balance, open bar at company outings. Nothing else comes to mind. Wish I could think of something else.

Cons

Management at PSC is hostile, arrogant and unprofessional. The owners of PSC moved on to other business ventures and the people that took their place were given the reigns obviously because they had no else to fill the role. If you are open to verbal harrassment, being under paid and love working in an environment where you fear you could be let go at all times, PSC is right for you.

Must, must get rid of current management. Regardless if a small profit is now being turned, employees are going to leave by the handful. PSC has underpaid their consultants for years to boost profit margins. Plus the verbal harrassment I have seen in the office by Management is alarming and unprofessional. I am amazed no one has filed a law suit yet. The owners of PSC are absent so they only hear the managements side. They would be shocked if they knew how their once rich culture is being turned upside into a hostile and terrible place to work. Please help us.

PSC Group Photos