PSEG Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
3.5

Ralph Izzo

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (except no working from home) (in 4 reviews)

• The company has very good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many PSEG positions (especially field positions) require employees to be on call; this can be disruptive to work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of leadership, mentorship, & career development (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Team player, willing to learn and share my knowledge and skills.

Former Employee - Reproduction  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Reproduction in Newark, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, People, Advancement, Training, and Salary

Cons

There is really no cons with working with a company of tenure and respect

Keep up the great work.

Best work atmosphere

Current Employee - Principal Staff Engineer  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Staff Engineer in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unparalleled team environment and office culture. A great reputation and opportunity to advance and move through diverse fields and departments

Cons

Company is rapidly changing, growing, and learning.

Good, solid company

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a good, solid company with very few layoffs. I have been happy with all of the managers I've worked for. There is generally good work life balance. Pay is excellent, and tuition reimbursement is a wonderful benefit. I like coming to work. The work can be challenging but in a good way, and most of the time I feel very balanced - there's enough work but not so much that I feel overwhelmed.

Cons

There is inequity amongst areas of the company. Some people are allowed flexible schedules and work from home options while others are not. During storms, those in the utility find themselves working long hours. Some managers want you to be on call all the time. It is very difficult for people in certain roles to move up within the company, and it can be difficult to switch departments. This is a unionized & non-unionized organization, which can be challenging. Corporate culture varies greatly from department to department.

For a company with such a strong emphasis on safety, it seems silly that those in non-essential roles are not given work from home options during storms. People that directly interface with power lines, with customers, etc. and their superiors, I fully understand. But other roles should be given the option to be both safe and productive by working from home.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No advancement, no recognition, disengaged management

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Hancocks Bridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Hancocks Bridge, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Decent starting compensation and benefits

Cons

No room to advance a career
    Very depressing work environment
    Very low morale
    10+ years to make a career move
    Pay levels off quickly
    Horrible location
    Management has no knowledge about what they are supervising
    Management is too hard headed and won't listen to engineers
    Unethical decision making by management
    Impossible to work in a team
    Other departments won't answer emails or phone calls. You often find yourself battling other departments/
    "It's not my job" or "I don't have time to help you" are commonly said/
    Performance reviews are a joke. No progress reports or feedback are ever received.

Look at high employee turnover in nuclear. People work for two years take their money and run.
    People have tried to speak to management and they won't listen, they won't change and they don't care.

Uneven Experience

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perks - Pay/Bonus and Benefits are still OK but getting worse.

Company supports training young engineers even if many leave after a few years due to being burnt out on unpaid overtime and mandatory on call duty which eats away your weekends.

The company is financially viable.

Senior Management is top notch and professional, however the middle management are usually more interested in internal backstabbing and punitive actions.

Cons

This is an old company with a command and control mentality alive and well.

401K/Cash Balance Pension plan is not very competitive compared to other energy companies. Benefits used to be better but are now becoming market based.

Pay is good starting out, but if you are coming in with experience get what you can up front because promotions become painfully slow and political, based more on age/favorites than production.

It is a utility so work life balance can be very bad at times. Storm duty, Unit issues, etc are par for the course. Technical personnel are not paid overtime even if they are required to be there to get work ready for the Union personnel making double time.

Middle management (Sr. Managers, Directors, etc.) needs a major shake up. There is too much rotation of the bad apples to a new department or special assignment under the guise of career development when everyone knows the deal. This is the Peter principle in full effect. If someone can't manage, please stop torturing a new group of employees with the same nonsense.

CEO is a smart man who comes across as genuine, however many of the companies actions towards employees are in direct opposition of his message. He has aged a ton, and you can see this gig is starting to drag him down.

Services Corp used to be a great place to work in IT... Not anymore

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good low level supervisors/managers (who are petrified to speak up)
    People are generally nice

Cons

Horrible IT Leadership
    No respect or rewards for technical skills
    All about process and outsourcing to TCS
    If you are looking for a technical challenge this isn't the place
    Mediocrity is rewarded ....
    NO FUTURE
    If you are looking to babysit unskilled consultants this is YOUR PLACE....

The work you are paying TCS to complete is still being done by the skeleton shell of PSEG employees that are left. TCS is laughing all the way to the bank. All of the real talent is on their way out the door (unless they are tied to the old pension). Forget all this CMMI nonsense and get rid of Santamaria and his cronies. Long time leaders like Weeks/Bishop should be promoted to run IT...

Great place to begin a career.

I have been working at PSEG

Pros

As a young professional I find that it is a great place to learn and apply classroom concepts. The culture is a positive one for risk taking as it is conducive to being intuitive and taking chances.

Cons

While it is a good thing that many people stay with the company for 20-30 years, this makes it hard to get promoted in a reasonable time.

Reasonable employer but not decentralized; company speaks to employee engagement but does not always "walk the talk";

Former Employee - Leadership & Organization Development Specialist  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Leadership & Organization Development Specialist in Newark, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits programs; many opportunities for personal/professional growth if you are in the right area/department. In some areas, the senior leadership competency is highly questionable

Cons

Poor HR leadership; not allowed to make decisions with senior leader knowledge and absolute concurrence. More a culture of blame than learning

Really look at your HR leadership skills and stop the cronyism. Transform the culture to a true learning culture. Don't pride yourself on how many disciplinary actions were taken.

PSEG is a great company and an extremely rewarding intern opportunity for college students.

I have been working at PSEG

Pros

Management is helpful and experienced
    Very nice people

Cons

The company is not really innovative
    Most of the work being done is maintenance of our ancient electrical grid system

Great company, great people.

Current Employee - Human Resources Client Consultant  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Client Consultant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone's nice. Long term career type place. Most people have been there 30+ years. Hires recent graduates then promotes from within. 40 hour week. Not much overtime expected. Very warm atmosphere. I find most of the management to be very easy to work with. They make common sense, logical decisions.

Cons

It's in Newark The cafeteria is not great and I don't like to go into Newark much. Most positions can't work from home. Almost everyone is an engineer, if your not, it may be more difficult to move up.

Worked for PSEG? Contribute to the Community!