PSEG

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ralph Izzo

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (except no working from home) (in 4 reviews)

• The company has very good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many PSEG positions (especially field positions) require employees to be on call; this can be disruptive to work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of leadership, mentorship, & career development (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to begin a career.

ProsAs a young professional I find that it is a great place to learn and apply classroom concepts. The culture is a positive one for risk taking as it is conducive to being intuitive and taking chances.

ConsWhile it is a good thing that many people stay with the company for 20-30 years, this makes it hard to get promoted in a reasonable time.

PSEG is a great company and an extremely rewarding intern opportunity for college students.

ProsManagement is helpful and experienced
    Very nice people

ConsThe company is not really innovative
    Most of the work being done is maintenance of our ancient electrical grid system

Reasonable employer but not decentralized; company speaks to employee engagement but does not always "walk the talk";

Leadership & Organization Development Specialist (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsExcellent pay and benefits programs; many opportunities for personal/professional growth if you are in the right area/department. In some areas, the senior leadership competency is highly questionable

ConsPoor HR leadership; not allowed to make decisions with senior leader knowledge and absolute concurrence. More a culture of blame than learning

Advice to Senior ManagementReally look at your HR leadership skills and stop the cronyism. Transform the culture to a true learning culture. Don't pride yourself on how many disciplinary actions were taken.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great people.

Human Resources Client Consultant (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsEveryone's nice. Long term career type place. Most people have been there 30+ years. Hires recent graduates then promotes from within. 40 hour week. Not much overtime expected. Very warm atmosphere. I find most of the management to be very easy to work with. They make common sense, logical decisions.

ConsIt's in Newark The cafeteria is not great and I don't like to go into Newark much. Most positions can't work from home. Almost everyone is an engineer, if your not, it may be more difficult to move up.

Behind the times in everything.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsWorkers are very talented and pleasant to work with. Benefits are very good.

ConsCompany no longer has a pension. Management rules by intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement spends much of their time finger pointing at those below them. Don't speak up. It will hurt you, and management doesn't truly want to hear it.

If revenues weren't regulated this company would have been bankrupt years ago. We can't get out of our own way.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsMany hard working, smart professionals. Generally a nice place to work and a nice office environment, even if it's in Newark. Good work/life balance (except no working from home). Promotions from within.

ConsMany employees have worked here for 20, 30+ years and are riding it out so that they can receive their nice pension. Senior management doesn't address the tough issues, especially when they're employee related. Too many whiners aren't shut down, which kills the morale for others. Too hierarchical. VPs park below the building and Directors park for free but the rest of us (who are paid less) have to pay for parking in Newark. Most bureaucratic and risk-averse company. No ability to work from home. How is this company touting itself as green with all the cars on the road?

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is brilliant and a great representative of the company, but the VP population is weak at best. Take control or hire management that will.

Great Internship.

Technical (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsStaff was friendly and engaged us in their work. Taught us, respected us and were laid back.

ConsI wished we got to work with some CAD design, as that was the basis of our project.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Engineer

Engineer (Former Employee) Hancocks Bridge, NJ

ProsGreat people to work with and there's always the opportunity for advancement.

ConsLong hours and better benefits would be good.

Great place

Manager (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGood pay and get to have more family time

ConsBetter medical benefits and insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what u are doinfg

High paced evironment, great experience.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsMany projects. I like dealing with the business. Lots of training and benefits are great

ConsNo room for growth. company values are not followed

Worked for PSEG? Contribute to the Community!