PSEG Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.6

Ralph Izzo

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (except no working from home) (in 4 reviews)

• The company has very good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many PSEG positions (especially field positions) require employees to be on call; this can be disruptive to work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of leadership, mentorship, & career development (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

hard lesson

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cranford, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great overtime, great people, money is great, benefits excellent

Cons

management sucks, they treat you like a seat number and not a person, alot of nepotism. its who you know that can advance you to the next position

get a clue

No respect and low morale for a company that used to be great to work for

Former Employee - Fossil Manager  in  South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Fossil Manager in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salaries, good people working there.

Cons

The executive staff has ruined a good company with excessive browbeating, lack of respect and over all arrogance. They have destroyed a positive culture for the sake of punishment, impossible goals to meet and their personal agendas.They damaged the entire fossil division. When Rizzo and his Excelon cronies leave for better pastures, PSEG will grow in a positive direction. I am glad I left when I did.

Leave PSEG. You obviously do not have leadership skills to foster trust, more accurately you don't care.

Not worth the experience

Former Employee - Senior Operations Supervisor  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay - but not good pay
    Close to NYC

Cons

Working with bad people
    No difference between high performers and low
    Management won't have your back
    You will have to deal with Unions all the time

Protect your people from Union attacks. A little bit of protection would go a long way.
    Compensate people off their abilities
    Train your people to deal with Union better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was not challenged technically or professionally and counted down the days until I left... about a month after I started

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op  in  Hancocks Bridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Hancocks Bridge, NJ

I have been working at PSEG as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The job pays well

There are multiple opportunities to move around within the company.

You can learn a lot of information IF you take it upon yourself to look up information and go out of your way to ask questions.

Cons

Warning to all potential interns and co-ops: You will do no technical work at all.

I have had two previous internships and they made this co-op look like a joke. You will not use any knowledge you have learned in college and you will not be given any real work. I know as an intern/co-op, it's a given that you will have some annoying tasks along with some interesting projects, but there were only secretarial and administrative jobs given to us.

To anyone who hasn't been in the nuclear industry, it is extremely slow and bogged down with so many procedures and regulations that a simple two hour task is drawn out for days.

Although every engineering group is different, I have seen other co-ops treated like crap. Some groups do not treat interns/co-ops as part of the team and some employees like to make sure you know you are just there to reduce their backlog of menial tasks.

I was often told that work was too complex for a co-op, even if it was a basic fluid flow or heat transfer calculation. Employees do not trust interns/co-ops at all and some employees will let you know that too.

My advice to the managers would be to focus more on the employees. Almost all of the managers spend more time in meetings than supporting employees.

little support

Former Employee - Generation Supervisor
    Former Employee - Generation Supervisor

I worked at PSEG

Pros

large company,good compensation,great workforce, wish there was more I could say

Cons

little if any support from managers
    quick to point fingers and blame
    perfection is the minimum standard

give your supervisors some training and support. there is a support system on paper but in reality there is none.

Services Corp used to be a great place to work in IT... Not anymore

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good low level supervisors/managers (who are petrified to speak up)
    People are generally nice

Cons

Horrible IT Leadership
    No respect or rewards for technical skills
    All about process and outsourcing to TCS
    If you are looking for a technical challenge this isn't the place
    Mediocrity is rewarded ....
    NO FUTURE
    If you are looking to babysit unskilled consultants this is YOUR PLACE....

The work you are paying TCS to complete is still being done by the skeleton shell of PSEG employees that are left. TCS is laughing all the way to the bank. All of the real talent is on their way out the door (unless they are tied to the old pension). Forget all this CMMI nonsense and get rid of Santamaria and his cronies. Long time leaders like Weeks/Bishop should be promoted to run IT...

If revenues weren't regulated this company would have been bankrupt years ago. We can't get out of our own way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many hard working, smart professionals. Generally a nice place to work and a nice office environment, even if it's in Newark. Good work/life balance (except no working from home). Promotions from within.

Cons

Many employees have worked here for 20, 30+ years and are riding it out so that they can receive their nice pension. Senior management doesn't address the tough issues, especially when they're employee related. Too many whiners aren't shut down, which kills the morale for others. Too hierarchical. VPs park below the building and Directors park for free but the rest of us (who are paid less) have to pay for parking in Newark. Most bureaucratic and risk-averse company. No ability to work from home. How is this company touting itself as green with all the cars on the road?

CEO is brilliant and a great representative of the company, but the VP population is weak at best. Take control or hire management that will.

Feel lucky you have a job. Expected to work 50+ hours a week.

I worked at PSEG full-time

Pros

Good benefits. The CNO Tom Joyce is a good and fair man. Note: the two star rating is bumped up a star solely because of the CNO.

Cons

Cost of living pay increases became non existent unless you're "represented" (union). Eligible employees to retire were not retiring taking a large chunk of pay/incentive increases. They also hired high paying execs who are taking a larger chunk of the pay incentives. Even though employees were doing great they got bad merit reviews to justify not giving a bonus/increase. These plants will decommision in ~20 years so there is no future there unless a new nuclear construction is announced. Appears they are retaining only those employees that will retire around the same time the plant licenses expire.

Admit to management related mistakes, develop actions to address the issues. Don't hide the truth. Some individuals might not be in your circle of friends and will do better for you than your "buds". Management is not in control, the represented work force controls them.

Good company, but didn't really like it

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at PSEG as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good company if you're interested in the energy sector. Majority of the people are Engineers that you will work with. A lot of money if you're willing to stick around long term.

Cons

I received a laptop with MS Office 2003...2003! They moved me to the Piscataway location after 3 weeks of working. During hurricane sandy I was pretty much bored out of my mind since all the full-timers were on storm duty. The conference rooms are a joke.

Corrupt

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Newark, NJ

I worked at PSEG full-time for more than a year

Pros

8 out of 12 people in the group were great to work with however, the other 4 made me leave the job.

Cons

1. Dishonest people are rewarded at this company. Technical knowledge or experience didn't play a role in promotion.

2. Training for young engineers is non-existent.

3. Promotions are unfairly given. As a result of not having enough senior staff (retirements) company promotes people who have have 5-6 years experience to engineer manager level positions. They have no idea how to manage or/and have limit technical knowledge for someone in the position.

4. Work becomes mundane and tedious after about a year.

5. Engineering judgement is overridden by bottom line.

Focus more on bringing the utility into the future. Re focus the company on building a firm technical engineering knowledge base by promoting training in all groups of the company. Create a standard for track promotions, training programs ect across the company to promote fairness.

Worked for PSEG? Contribute to the Community!