PSEG

PSEG Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015

Ralph Izzo

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (except no working from home) (in 6 reviews)

• The company has very good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a utility so work life balance can be very bad at times (in 5 reviews)

• Some people are allowed flexible schedules and work from home options while others are not (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly Environment. Good people.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Long Island City, NY

I worked at PSEG

Pros

I was just doing internship for summer. So cant tell much. But as far as I know, the management people are friendly and helpful in teaching.

Cons

None that i noticed .

Many great people but...

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great people. Some really interesting work. A necessary business also green.

Cons

Very little flexibility. Women are not equal to men. Must be an engineer to move ahead. Low tech. Lots of dead weight waiting to retirement. Must go in during snowstorms. No working from home. Very Christian, too much talk about religion.

Become a flexible workplace. That would be family friendly. Don't be so dismissive of women.

Most of the bad reviews are spot on! I wasn't going to leave one but after reading them, I had to add my two cents!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at PSEG as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent. It is a well known company. The benefits are good but comparable to other companies.

Cons

I was not going to leave a review but after reading through them, I could not resist but add my two cents. Most people are completely spot on when they say that this company is all about politics and nothing about actual work history. It doesn't seem to matter how hard you do your job, if you are not with one of the "in crowds" you aren't going to go anywhere in this company. These post a lot of internal job openings, yet never give them to internal employees, they fill them with people who have no experience or even clue about the responsibilities of these positions. The only criteria they had to fill that position is being related to or friends with another higher level employee in the company. I busted my tail for three years getting all the work done that needed to be done when my department was lacking employees. However, when it came to making permanent positions, they brought in new people, and did not give me anything permanent. Meanwhile, I was pretty much doing the work of 2 people for three years. Being in the working world for over 20 years now, I have never seen a company who is so unethical to their employees as this one. Trust me when i say that once I secure a new position, I will be running out the door and not looking back. Since the company has proven their lack of loyalty to their employees, I feel no loyalty towards them. They will be lucky if I give them one day notice. During the summer, some people are offered the ability to work 10 hours a day and have off Fridays. My department was not. This is not because my department needs to be in on Fridays, they state it is due to "director" discretion. How can a company have policies that are not uniform throughout the company? The same goes for bad weather. Some people are allowed to work from home, while most aren't. If we do not come into the office, we are forced to use our vacation time, even when the governor has declared a travel ban or state of emergency. They use their "Utility" company status to force people into work. Meanwhile, we are not line workers, we are accountants, analysts, etc. Trust me when I tell you that PSEG does not care about their employees. They prove it on a daily basis, There is daily finger pointing, nepotism, and gossip mongering. It makes it very difficult for professional people to work comfortably in that atmosphere., or want to even show up for work. I can say with total confidence this is the worst company I have ever worked for.

You are running a company, not a high school or middle school. Your employees main goals should not be spreading gossip, finger pointing, and bullying. Bring professional people into the company, and maybe you will actually have a good place to work.

Very upsetting and hostile place to work

I have been working at PSEG full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, decent toilet paper in the bathrooms, nightly cleaning crew

Cons

PSEG is not a nice place to work. Their number one priority is to PREACH about their values (they do not follow them or represent them, just preach them) For example, they will go on and on about how safety is #1, yet demand office people drive in during a horrible snow storm or else use their vacation. How is this caring about the safety of your employees? And forget about work/life balance, they don't care. Some people are given summer hours, while others are not. Some are given ability to work from home, others are not. Most of the jobs are given to incompetent people because they are friends with directors. Most decent established employees do not stay there and find better places to work where they will actually be appreciated.

I don't have any, they obviously don't care.

HR

Current Employee - Human Resources Associate in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Associate in Edison, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Company. They do invest in their employee base and continuously drive development and performance improvement. Company is very process oriented and compliance driven. Safety is super important. The compensation is pretty good. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

HR systems are a little fragmented, but you get used to it after you know where to find everything

No issues with Management

IT internship

Current Employee - IT Intern
    Current Employee - IT Intern

I have been working at PSEG

Pros

You get an internship on your resume

Cons

as a CS major, this is not a technical internship

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Staff Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at PSEG

Pros

Salary is higher than industry average

Cons

Work environment, people tend to do their own thing

Take care of your people

Admin Assistant

I have been working at PSEG

Pros

Good Company to work for, coworkers are really nice.

Cons

Poor pay and too political

Shifting from a Mechanistic to an Organic Structure

Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at PSEG full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Highly respected organization that has a lot of dedicated employees. Executives understand that the "old" way of thinking needs to be transformed into a new organic, decentralized and horizontal communication organization. Job security is high especially with the migration of LIPA. Heavy emphasis on diversity and ethical behavior.

Cons

Work life balance is not the best especially if you are in a finance field. Communication and synergy among department sometimes is lacking. Nepotism is still very pervasive. Most of the positions are based on who you know in the organization and not really based on exceptional talent and qualifications.

Get rid of the nepotism and managers that are counter productive and toxic to the organization. Manager who do not have the interpersonal skills to motivate, be respected by their employees and care nothing about coaching and development of their staff , but only their own self interest have no place at PSEG. Retire them and allow new fresh blood to come in.

Great Place to Work if you Enjoy Finger Pointing

I have been working at PSEG

Pros

Training options are good, company and employees care about safety, even though it's in Newark it's not a horrible location.

Cons

People have been there for so long and are riding it out simply to get their pensions. No passion; simply doing whatever it takes to not get fired. Someone actually said to me "I'm not sure why it is but they decided that in 2000". That was 14 years ago. That's the mentality. When something goes wrong, a solution isn't the priority; placing blame is the goal.

Working from home doesn't exist and when there's a snow storm, it's frowned upon if you want to work from home. And this is a company that's supposedly passionate about safety.

Get rid of some of the fossils