PTC Reviews

Reset
3.4
PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann
Jim Heppelmann

Pros
  • Work life balance with good career opportunities (in 50 reviews)

• Possible to work from home once or twice a week (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is sometimes a stretch (in 19 reviews)

• Even though upper management talks about being more like Google, they fail to implement policies that would make it so (in 13 reviews)

Great potential

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Blaine, MN

I worked at PTC (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, dynamic work, wonderful opportunities to network and travel

Cons

Very cold, numbers based company. Employment based on "business needs" and (sometimes very inaccurate) projections

Advice to Management

High margins doesn't mean your company is doing well.

2. Worked @ PTC fot three years

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Blaine, MN

I worked at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building. Nice cafeteria. Nice landscaping. Get two computer screens. good IT department.

Cons

Too many projects at once. Too many changes in direction.

Advice to Management

do what you want.

Lovely

Current Employee - Employee Communications in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Employee Communications in Blaine, MN

Pros

PTC has a warm, friendly culture of highly intelligent, very compassionate people. Opportunity abounds if you seek it and work proactively to create opportunity where there is a need. Transformation into new growth markets makes for a real buzz at the office.

Cons

I have only experienced benefits, but the transformation does make for transition. If you don't want to work with change and at a fast pace, and with enthusiasm, you may become part of PTC's past rather than future.

5. R&D Perspective

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good exposure to Scrum methodology; Synergistic work culture; Cooperative teams; Nice medical/study benefits

Cons

Tight on salary and bonus

"Latest Shiny Object"

Current Employee - Consultant in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO, interesting work (mostly), good co-workers

Cons

The title of my review aren't my words, they're the words of one of the company's biggest customers. Major shift happening right now, but this is nothing new if you've been around a few years. Two years ago it was SLM that was going to fundamentally transform the company. Four years ago it was Flex. Both of those were spaces that PTC was perfectly positioned to become a leader in per management. IoT is a good bet, but there will be no follow through, just like with everything else. Two years from now there will be something new that management runs after in attempt to create a splash with Wall Street. This frustrates employees and customers. Wall Street. There's a good one. Management doesn't try to make good products, grow the business or do anything through old fashioned hard work. They chase the stock price and go for splash moves like strategic changes, acquisitions and layoffs. PTC management is like a junkie chasing the Wall Street high and will do anything it takes to get it, regardless of long term consequences. Promotions are based on checking boxes, and even that isn't a guarantee. You'll get it a year or more after you should. No cost of living raises either. Benefits get reduced every year. PTC medical options are garbage. You're a number on a ledger as far as management is concerned.

Advice to Management

Stop speaking in buzzwords. Pick a direction and show some commitment instead of trying to make splash moves constantly. Stop treating your employees as disposable.

Seeking out the newest, cool thing, and leaves the rest of the company in the dust to dry up and blow away.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are great, smart, supportive. The technology can be a great advantage at times as well, if you're on the right team.

Cons

Management keeps shoveling on the workload with no relief in sight. No back-filling for employees who have left. Pay raises delayed (and we'll be lucky if they amount to much).

Advice to Management

We want to do great things, but it's hard to do great things when you're constantly swimming upstream. Stop the freezes on hiring and let us get some more capable people in here to help us do great things.

Great Place to Work with lots of opportunity to learn and grow

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and an open atmosphere that allows you to choose your own career path if you work for it. There are also very few rigorous deadlines and management keeps the workload at a manageable amount, which keeps the stress out of your average day.

Cons

Large corporate structure does slow down decision making and some of the tools and technologies being used are outdated because of the inability to quickly adapt to the changing industry - I believe this is mostly because of the size of the company and the freedom teams get over their daily work makes them complacent and hesitant to make changes.

Advice to Management

Push for innovation, even where employees and business units are doing well.

9. Consultants have a chance to learn a lot

Current Employee - Global Services Consultant in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Global Services Consultant in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work with some really, really smart people - Many employees passionate about their jobs - Strong dedication to customer success - Great place to learn and start your career - A lot of great middle managers that protect their employees - Various departments (services, R&D, tech support) are generally pretty well-aligned

Cons

- Always an identity crisis at PTC; results in corporate rebranding every year or two - Too many levels of upper management; very reactionary to maintaining stock prices and keeping bottom line - Too many Heppelmanns work here - Training classes are a joke, but hey, at least you get to go! - Promotions/progressions are pretty steady, but they're slow, and you have to wait your turn - Once you hit the mid-level, not much room for growth; recommend you try going horizontal before you go vertical again - Those in QA, solution center and tech support probably have it the worst

Advice to Management

- No need to keep flattening and re-inflating the organization every other year - Pick an organizational identity and go with it - Make the training classes mean something

10. Great People

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Blaine, MN

I have been working at PTC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great, talented and support one another. WFH opportunities really help with work/life balances when you have sick kids or need to go to an appointment in the middle of the day. On the right project, educational opportunities abound, otherwise, you're on your own.

Cons

Seem to always be under a constant grind for the next release. Even though upper management talks about being more like Google, they fail to implement policies that would make it so. Employees come after shareholders and customers.

Advice to Management

When the employees start leaving it will be harder to keep the shareholders and customers happy.

11. Great Culture and Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blaine, MN

I worked at PTC full-time

Pros

Enjoyed the people, openness to ideas, and passion for work. We could take time to work from home if we needed to. The people make the culture. I loved how we could bring ideas to the table and feel like we could share openly with each other.

Cons

Can feel a bit distant from the CEO in Boston at times if you work in a remote office.

Advice to Management

They were great with trying to hear people's voices within the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed