PTC

Updated Jul 9, 2014

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann

Jim Heppelmann

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best Career Move Ever - Didn't think I would stay and here I am years later with no plans to return to a cubicle

Learning Consultant, Senior (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsIndependance can work for you or against you. Slackers wont last. Unlimited learning opportunities. If you like learning and challenge you will thrive and never be bored. Quarterly bonuses and some stock incentives possible. Plenty of travel to interesting locations. The most interesting customers in the world. Recognition better than most places I have been. Burn out is up to you. You must communicate because management does care. You can work with some amazingly smart people.

ConsBonuses are mostly out of your control based on billable work. Road warrior life is not for everyone. Communication can be challenging when you are always on the move and working with remote teams. Not sure why some customers may see me as "$$$" or "They are here" instead of seeing us as a partner. When the company makes record profits, employees only get increases after stockholders and some management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost all PTC employees are geeks at heart and love technology FAR more than numbers, numbers, numbers. Share with us the new technology features and the fancy presentations that are so popular with our customers before we learn it from them.

Develop cool software, work with outstanding teams of professionals.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsInteresting projects, great colleagues, good work-life balance. Opportunity to collaborate in some large scale projects, affecting the way professionals world-wide do their jobs. Rapid response times to customer concerns.

ConsBelow average career growth opportunities paired with frequent, if not large scale layoffs. As an employee, you are like one of those rare risky, and at the same time low growth stocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink over thoroughly the direction of the company so that unsatisfactory quarters do not have to be fixed with layoffs.

Good pay and good place to work

Needham, MA

ProsThe pay is pretty good, and I had my own office from my first day. You have an opportunity to talk to customers and the company does not work you insanely hard. It is a good opportunity to learn the software, which can be very handy in the future.

ConsPTC does not have a huge amount of growth and the office area is fairly standard for a work environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, great place to work.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsQuality of life, great work/life balance, smart people with reasonable work demands, stable customer base, premium product lines.

ConsProduct line is losing market share due to lack of innovation and old-school pricing structure. The exception is that innovation is done by way of acquisition.... which is still fuzzy as to how will fold into the company.

Advice to Senior Managementchange the pricing structure to gain back marketshare, get fresh, current-thinking in the bloated and ineffective marketing group. Connect the sales org to the marketing org.

Sterile atmosphere but lots of vacation, flexible work hours

Needham, MA

Pros- Almost 6 weeks of PTO/year depending on how long you have worked here
    - Flexible work hours
    - Possible to work from home once or twice a week

Cons- Departments are disjointed
    - Atmosphere is pretty sterile overall
    - Layoffs almost every quarter, although our department has been largely spared
    - Salary freezes every other year
    - Forever changing company strategy
    - No room for new ideas
    - Slow-moving and too process-heavy

Nepotism at its finest - I can not believe the Board of Directors puts up with this!

Happily Paid Director (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsVery high compensation for the work requested in many areas
    strong enterprise sales leadership, they get criticized but are actually solid
    Once you make it to about the director level, it is a gravy train
    You can work from home, half days, quite frankly disappear for weeks and no one might ever mention it

Consthe entire organization is being crafted by one executive (not the CEO)
    there are scores of employees related to this executive or his neighbors and friends
    there is a common humor around "kiss the ring", most employees will know who this refers to
    constantly changing strategy, no chance for anything to stick because of the fear of all exec's to get out of favor

Advice to Senior Managementhave the guts to drive your strategy. it is not a bad one but you are not making the tough decisions for fear of the politics. Sometimes it is right for people to retire and move on (and not necessarily to the Board)

No company is perfect, but PTC is a great place to work!

Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

Pros- Competitive starting salary
    - Many great people in the marketing organization
    - Very flexible with time off and working from home
    - Great benefits (health/dental/vision, 401k, referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, etc.)
    - Corporate strategy is on a very strong path

Cons- Some senior management incompetence
    - Lots of layoffs in 2013, but things are seeming to turn around
    - Teams don't always "play nice" with one another. To many hyper-focused silos that serve only their own interests are making the brand more confusing to outsiders (i.e. potential customers).

Advice to Senior Management- Keep going hard on the "Internet of Things" strategy! If PTC keeps attacking this area hard and becomes the key player in this market, the potential is HUGE.
    - Get more regular feedback from rank and file employees on the weaknesses of management. There are several teams that are crippled (at the company's expense) by managers who don't know what they're doing.
    - Do a better job of truly rewarding employees who give 110%. Giving out two or three $400 excellence award bonuses per month (on a team of hundreds) does not make up for never handing out raises and promotions to the hardest working employees.

Great experience, but pick your role carefully

Marketing Director (Former Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsUsed to be a great place to work. They changed the compensation around 2009/10 to concentrate on few roles. Sales, Services and Product Management won out - so depending on the role and the product,

ConsMarketing in particular has never been particularly valued/invested in at PTC, but there were some good opportunities to move around and move up. Recently, its gotten worse and promotion opportunities and restricted stock compensation were reduced significantly around 2009/2010. Many good folks left over the next few years and those that remained in leadership in key positions have been there for years, have floundered with any modern marketing best practices and are busy taking care of themselves and playing one-up-manship on each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck the retention rate in Marketing - people are leaving in droves. Its a favorite of recruiters.

Dissappointing

Manager (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsFlexibility, people, number of vacation days (if you can use them).

ConsPoor pay, little opportunity for advancement, promises are often not kept and direction changes constantly.

The politics of DC right here in Needham.....

Needham, MA

ProsThe company has fair compensation and great benefits. It's a great place for interns or first year college grads to get started.

ConsThe politics and nepotism stifles the ability to get things done. Advancement only comes to individuals that are in the inner circle, so the best people are rarely promoted, particularly in Marketing. Overall it's not a good environment to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in multiple high level executives from the outside and give them the authority to make the needed changes.

Worked for PTC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PTC reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by PTC employees.