PTC

PTC Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

PTC CEO Jim Heppelmann

Jim Heppelmann

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with exceptional PTO policy (in 40 reviews)

• Possible to work from home once or twice a week (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance or respect for worker's interests/career development (in 16 reviews)

• At the same time upper management continues to get fat stock bonuses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

High intensity environment with extremely smart people focused on achieving stated goals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKnowledge focused company with in depth training programs. Good products that satisfy a lot of clients, but some engagements do have a lengthy cycle time. Great external image with a professionalism that impresses clients. Real experience gained for most employees.

ConsSometimes training can be too verbose. Lots of type-A personalities striving for recognition which can sometimes lead to unnecessary attrition of excellent talent. Performance is based on the stack ranking system which can be internally destructive. Work-life balance is sometimes a stretch. The normal political dodge-ball is present like in most other companies of it's size. Leadership is strong but sometimes not focused on growth, and sometimes leans toward the aggressive sale of products. Some products are being threaten by competitor products that have a shorter deploy cycle time and are more user-friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteer the ship in the right direction. With a portfolio of great products the company should be performing much better. Focus on improving the culture of collaboration among peers to lower the attrition caused by the ranking system.

Best Career Move Ever - Didn't think I would stay and here I am years later with no plans to return to a cubicle

Learning Consultant, Senior (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsIndependance can work for you or against you. Slackers wont last. Unlimited learning opportunities. If you like learning and challenge you will thrive and never be bored. Quarterly bonuses and some stock incentives possible. Plenty of travel to interesting locations. The most interesting customers in the world. Recognition better than most places I have been. Burn out is up to you. You must communicate because management does care. You can work with some amazingly smart people.

ConsBonuses are mostly out of your control based on billable work. Road warrior life is not for everyone. Communication can be challenging when you are always on the move and working with remote teams. Not sure why some customers may see me as "$$$" or "They are here" instead of seeing us as a partner. When the company makes record profits, employees only get increases after stockholders and some management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost all PTC employees are geeks at heart and love technology FAR more than numbers, numbers, numbers. Share with us the new technology features and the fancy presentations that are so popular with our customers before we learn it from them.

It's a good ride

ProsYou will learn a lot. The customers and solutions are interesting. The products solve important and complex problems in world class enterprises. There are some brilliant engineers and talented leaders in the ranks. CEO always has a exciting and evolving vision to rally to. You can be as successful as you want to be.

ConsThe vision occasionally outpaces execution. Historically too much tolerance for bad actor employees. Seems every few years there is sense from c-level that sales is overcompensated, which is a moral killer in the field. Nepotism in certain organizations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only the most aggressive succeed here

Manager, Product Management (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsCool products, lots of smart people

ConsThis is not a 9 - 5 type of place. More like 5 - 9 is the expectation.
    Raises are minimal if at all.
    As an employee I never felt that I really knew what the company's vision was because they changed it every 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers, PTC used to be the leader in the CAD industry but its not the 1990's anymore...

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products, learned a lot at this company.

ConsMany changes in sales staff/management

Develop cool software, work with outstanding teams of professionals.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsInteresting projects, great colleagues, good work-life balance. Opportunity to collaborate in some large scale projects, affecting the way professionals world-wide do their jobs. Rapid response times to customer concerns.

ConsBelow average career growth opportunities paired with frequent, if not large scale layoffs. As an employee, you are like one of those rare risky, and at the same time low growth stocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink over thoroughly the direction of the company so that unsatisfactory quarters do not have to be fixed with layoffs.

Good pay and good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsThe pay is pretty good, and I had my own office from my first day. You have an opportunity to talk to customers and the company does not work you insanely hard. It is a good opportunity to learn the software, which can be very handy in the future.

ConsPTC does not have a huge amount of growth and the office area is fairly standard for a work environment.

Great work-life balance

ProsGreat work-life balance. good facilities

Consmistrust between executives and employees

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more

Don't put their money where their mouth is

Global Services Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood training, lots of opportunities to learn. A lot of very talented people working in the trenches. Interesting work for often than not.

ConsSub par pay to begin with, lots of empty promises when you work 70+ hour weeks and weekends, but when the chips are down they don't take care of you. They talk about work life balance, but its a complete joke. Either you kill yourself and have no life and maybe get promoted, or you have a life and you won't be at the company long.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying lip service because your employees see right through all the empty promises.

Fix your joke of corporate culture because it consists of two things, working 12 hour days and drinking at night.

Cheap, Bloated, Lumbering Company

ProsThe pay was adequate, but not outstanding. I worked in a field office, so I avoided a lot of the corporate politics. Solid/smart people in some (but not all) product lines. Flexible work schedule.

ConsVision: The company has no vision and constantly shifting priorities. Even when your product line is a priority, PTC is unwilling to invest additional resources or money.

Cheap: PTC (and many of its acquisitions) has under-invested in its product lines for years. As a result, they are increasingly also-ran solutions.

Bloated: There are a LOT of layers of management, with each one adding additional wastefullness and meetings.

Lumbering: There is no urgency to anything, and they waste a lot of their resources on ridiculous things. Considering PTC is stingy in their resource allocation, these people wasting time on dead-end projects could be used elsewhere.

Not-invented-here: There is a lot of re-inventing the wheel, especially in the R&D groups. Why adopt a popular open source framework when you can create one from scratch?

Nepotism: Many of the SVP, EVP and DVPs have children, siblings, or spouses working at the company. I'm skeptical that they were the best people for the job.

Meetings and Committees: There are far, far too many poorly run, unfocused meetings. Not sure what to do? Create a committee to sit around and *also* not decide anything.

IT: My office had to *beg* for new laptops. IT is completely non-responsive unless you are in Needham.

Career: Limited career growth opportunities outside of Needham. If you want to grow your career, you need to move to Needham or quit.

Hiring: Forced to use the Needham-based recruiters, who are fresh out of college. They mostly just posted the job to LinkedIn and searched for keywords. The quality of candidates was poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need about one-third of your VPs. You have under-invested in ALL of your products for far too long and are now struggling to stay competitive. You need to take drastic action now.

Worked for PTC? Contribute to the Community!