Pabst Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
2.6

Pabst Co-CEO's Evan Metropoulos and Daren Metropoulos
Evan Metropoulos and Daren Metropoulos

In need of consistent upper management and restructure commission/bonus pay out.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I have been working at Pabst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and In-demand brand. Work-Life Balance Is fantastic.

Cons

No structure. No potential for advancement. Commission/Bonus structure is non-existent. Definitely on the lower spectrum on payscale compared to other companies. Too much micromanagement.

So many changes of the guard in the past few years that have created an insecurity of a long lasting career. The company is for sale one day, and not for sale the next. Commission/Bonus structure is based on national numbers instead of individual merits. Ownership/Management should consider basing this upon regions if they want to continue to micromanage the sales team to further increase employee productivity.

Great brand with great people

I have been working at Pabst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the beer industry on such a great portfolio should be the highlight of anyone's career.

Cons

We need more attention to some of the hidden gems we have in our portfolio.

Terrible Company

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER

I have been working at Pabst full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A few great Brands that are a lot of Fun to sell. Sales team in the field is very good(area sales manager and below) Local Marketing reps (FMR's/FMM's are great).

Cons

The ownership is a joke. They bought the company in June 2010. Since then they have had only 1 intention, to sell the company for more money than they bought it. I liken it to the worse kind of house flippers. They bought a sky rocketing brand in PBR(buying a house in an upcoming neighborhood), put some money into neglected regional brands (new paint), but tore out installation and copper wiring to sell (bonus programs, internet, vacation time, laid off people in critical sales areas) that the new owner wont realize when they buy. The company is broken with severely defective leadership in marketing, sales, and logistics.

To the metropoulos family, SELL NOW, you have driven the company into the ground, you aren't geniuses that made a company great, you bought a house "PBR" in an emerging neighborhood. If an invalid had bought Pabst in 2010 and did nothing but delivered the beer PBR would have still grown double digits. Your ownership has actually hampered the growth. To senior leadership, do not speak about morals and ethics when we know what happened with publix. It just makes us all look bad when no one is honest with the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could have been much better!

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Pabst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Could make your own schedule, some of the people you work with are great! We got to participate in some great events! (If you create them from the ground up)

Cons

Direction and job description changes at a moments notice! Minimal training and direction from senior management. Yearly goals to make bonus were never communicated to staff. Even if your marked was up double digit growth in distribution and new accounts you still did not get a bonus.

Sell the company to someone who knows and cares about the beer business more than twinkies!

Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Pabst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, fun brands that are on an organic upward trend. I'm lucky enough to have a good manager that I can communicate with open and honestly.

Cons

Low pay, well below the industry average. Disconcerting when the company is owned by multi-millionaires. It's obvious the owners are priming to sell, but say they are in for the long haul. Keeping expenses low allows the balance sheet to stay in the black, something important for potential buyers.

Why a no-show at the national sales meeting? If you're not committed enough to take your private jet on a short flight to thank your employees, why should I work my tail off to pay for your jet fuel?

Great company bad owners

I have been working at Pabst full-time

Pros

Great Brands that sell themselves, some awesome people in the field, Marketing pre 2010 was great, Field Marketing Team is still great.

Cons

Since the Metropoulous Family bought the company Pabst has really gone down hill. In less than 3 years there has been 4 presidents, 4 CMO's, 5 HR VP's and a bunch of turnover in the staff effectively eliminating any true leadership and guidance. The perks (office line, internet, vacation and flex days have all been eliminated or reduced). The bonus program is substandard. The marketing team does not know what they are doing. Not a family friendly company.

Poor Ownership, Poor Salary

Former Employee - Employee At Corporate Headquarters  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Employee At Corporate Headquarters in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pabst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great older and iconic brands. Smart employees. Free beer

Cons

Poor Ownership. Poor Salary. Poor Culture. Negative Enviornment

My time at Pabst

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Pabst full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are so many good people that work for Pabst. I made lots of friends in the 20+ years that I worked there. Oh they make good beer too.

Cons

Over the years I cant think of too much negative about Pabst. I had one Division VP who was very difficult to work for but other than that my time was great.

Empower your people

Really sad state of affairs, so much untapped opportunity

I worked at Pabst full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Small enough if you want to do a lot of things
    - Great brand exposure
    - Really great employees

Cons

- Extremely poor leadership from "Co-CEO's"
    - Great exec leadership group but they do not stick around (see point 1)
    - Really tough unrealistic expectations on goals

Co-CEO's need to get out of the way, stop using the company for their personal use and let the beer pros do what they do. No need for anymore big beer (AB/Miller) types, need to foster a closer unique and GENUINE culture.

Started off great until takeover then evolved into your standard "big beer" culture

I worked at Pabst

Pros

It's a fun brand if you have direct management that embraces what PBR is really about. Not the case with me unfortunately.

Pay is decent.

Cons

Upper level management is filling up with ex-big beer execs who seem disconnected from the brand. The company continues to grow with each passing year yet budgets have shrunk all while extremely aggressive distribution and volume goals are set forth. Its all business of course but to me (and others still there) it feels like they are lining things up to sell the company.

PBR is brewed at Miller-Coors breweries. Yes, PBR does not have a brewery. It kind of takes away some of its credibility in my opinion and I fear many core consumers have no idea.

I think you really had something with PBR. If you fostered a culture like those craft companies that PBR is supposedly aligned with you wouldn't have employees dropping like flies. Also, to the owners, it would be nice to have some sort of communication from you. Annual Sales meeting? No show. Last time I saw one of the owners he was on TMZ.

Worked for Pabst? Contribute to the Community!