Pace Analytical

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.7

Steve A Vanderboom

Pros
  • Great people to work with all suffering together LOVED working for the previous company, ELAB (in 3 reviews)

• My schedule is good and the pay is decent (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is usually clueless, very little training at entry level, high stress low pay (in 7 reviews)

• Orientation is nothing but eye wash to make upper management feel good (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great starter job

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere. With plenty to learn and the tools needed to learn them. The projects you work on truly impact the people and environment around you.

Cons

Impossible to climb the ladder and advancement is almost non-existent. You see more people struggling to grab a lateral move to improve their pay than being promoted.

good employees are not easy to come by. Instead of having a philosophy of always being able to find new employees how about doing what is necessary to keep the good ones.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers good experience if you've recently graduated in a science field and aren't sure what you'd like to do. They'll hire candidates with little to no experience and they offer part time or temp employment with good pay to people still in school.

Cons

Culture is stagnant and crabby. Most of the employees have been there forever, are unhappy in their roles and it shows in overall team morale. Leadership is fine but unhelpful if you're motivated to advance your career. They'd rather you stay where you are because then they won't have to replace you. When push comes to shove, your superiors will throw you under the bus to save their own reputations. Sales is the only area of this company that gets treated well.

Start investing more time, money and energy into your employees and their development. A happier workplace will make for a much more productive workplace and a happier client. And pay for overtime. No one should have to work 60 hours a week on a $40,000 salary.

Analyst

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Overtime houra and nice environment and people.

Cons

A lot of work and people walking around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Good place to get your foot in the door, that's about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent entry level position, feed you at meetings

Cons

Low salary, benefits not great, not a lot of room for growth within the company

First step

Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay company for those just out of college - a decent first step into the environmental industry

Cons

Very poorly managed and structured. Low paying, low employee morale, not a "retire here" type place.
    Most of the employees who have longevity here are the types of employees who are happy with mediocrity.

They don't listen - no need to waste time

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Lab Analyst I
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst I

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain quality experience in the environmental science field.
    Easy to move up in the company if you show interest and work hard.

Cons

Low pay and small raises.
    Numerous equipment problems which causes mandatory overtime.
    Not much upward mobility.

Great as long as you're not a contract employee, then watch your back

Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were great, and I was lucky to be placed at 3M. Nothing wrong with working there--flexible workday, great people, labs, constant building improvements, excellent work environment. Very high standards, it is understood but never said that everyone is (or is supposed to be) a Type A workaholic and overachiever. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just don't ever think you can coast along there.

Because I was assigned to 3M I had an indirect experience with my Pace managers; emails about submitting timesheets on time and the like. I actually met them during the monthly meetings (which didn't seem to accomplish much in my mind) and when I was unexpectedly canned.

Cons

Contracters are expendable, and they (your contract company) will not hesitate to drop you with no warning at all if they think you're slacking, regardless of the circumstances. Once that happened, all Pace could do was say "well, sorry, please talk to HR on Monday and we'll see what we can do."

Have a better backup plan for contract employees. I jumped on an opening right after getting canned and got an intervew, but they chose someone else and I'm still waiting to hear back about all the other openings I keep applying for... it would be really easy to stick someone with a few years' experience in an entry-level position until something more appropriate opens up.

Best Contract Firm in the Twin Cities

Current Employee - Lab Analyst I in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst I in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Of all the contractors you can work for, Pace Analytical is the best. They are a lab first, and a staffer second; they have on site managers that you can go to for help, and they do try to make all their off-site contractors feel a part of the company. They offer pretty good benefits, payed time off, and tuition reimbursement. They can get you in the door of companies it's very hard to access, like 3M.

Cons

There is painfully little room for advancement, most contractors will never become permanent employees, and since they're scalping the top 20% or so of pay, your hourly rate is a little less than the state average for similar job titles.

Easy to get hired, hard to advance.

Former Employee - Lab Tech I in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Lab Tech I in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed everyone I interacted with inside the company. Management was quality, and their vision was admirable enough. The CEO visited each lab at least once a year and seemed both accessible and enthusiastic.

Cons

Pay was poor. I was paid through a temp agency and was told that after a few months they'd add me on. I inquired numerous times about the update in regards to that and was always told that they'd look into it. Months later I decided to move on. Had they offered me the security I wanted and was somewhat-promised I'm sure I would have stayed.

Great organization for entering regulatory affairs

Former Employee - Program Manager in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Professional organization with quality people. Supervisors and managers were very supportive and personable. Offers training and resources to its employees which provides a competitive advantage for its employees onsite at client companies as contractors. Benefits of health insurance and 401K plan. Many positions available. Provided an opportunity to gain experience starting out in career. Employees at client's site provide a maximum of 8 hours of service per day.

Cons

Salary was less than what employees of other contract firms earned, but only due to having better benefits. Some people end up in the same contract position for long periods of time depending on the client group they work in. Limited ability to climb within the company due to size of organization.