Pace Analytical

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.8

Steve A Vanderboom

Pros
  • Great people to work with all suffering together LOVED working for the previous company, ELAB (in 3 reviews)

• My schedule is good and the pay is decent (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is usually clueless, very little training at entry level, high stress low pay (in 7 reviews)

• Orientation is nothing but eye wash to make upper management feel good (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The Best in the Challenging Environmental Testing Industry

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a professional looking for a scientific career and interested in working for a company whose mission is to help clean up the environment and positively effect human health, then Pace is the laboratory for you. Pace focuses on customer service and comprehensive capabilities to differentiate themselves from their competitors. The company is privately held and makes short and long term decisions with Pace's core values in mind and based on what is best for company as opposed to shareholders. Continuous improvement is embraced and innovations and changes with merit are encouraged to be developed. This is a rapidly growing company with the systems/ services in place and leadership to grow organically and fiscally sound to also grow via acquisition in what is a very competitive market segment.

Cons

The environmental testing industry is very competitive so, the opportunity to work hard often what is needed to succeed at any job type or laboratory. The testing is regulatory in nature and accountability, integrity, and ethics are must haves for anyone in or outside of the lab. Seasonality, especially in the northern half of the country, causes work volume to fluctuate considerably over the course of the year.

Diversify where possible, acquire intelligently, and be the best in the industry in the integration of new labs and services

Started straight out of college, and have worked there for 5+ years.

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Flexible hours. Plenty of overtime available.

Cons

Failure of management to recognize hard work of employees. Low pay, not much room for growth.

Acknowledge hard work of staff.

Inorganic laboratory manager

I worked at Pace Analytical

Pros

Good work experience as a stepping stone.

Cons

Work you to death and all about $ and not about the science.

Great starter job

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Friendly, relaxed atmosphere. With plenty to learn and the tools needed to learn them. The projects you work on truly impact the people and environment around you.

Cons

Impossible to climb the ladder and advancement is almost non-existent. You see more people struggling to grab a lateral move to improve their pay than being promoted.

good employees are not easy to come by. Instead of having a philosophy of always being able to find new employees how about doing what is necessary to keep the good ones.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers good experience if you've recently graduated in a science field and aren't sure what you'd like to do. They'll hire candidates with little to no experience and they offer part time or temp employment with good pay to people still in school.

Cons

Culture is stagnant and crabby. Most of the employees have been there forever, are unhappy in their roles and it shows in overall team morale. Leadership is fine but unhelpful if you're motivated to advance your career. They'd rather you stay where you are because then they won't have to replace you. When push comes to shove, your superiors will throw you under the bus to save their own reputations. Sales is the only area of this company that gets treated well.

Start investing more time, money and energy into your employees and their development. A happier workplace will make for a much more productive workplace and a happier client. And pay for overtime. No one should have to work 60 hours a week on a $40,000 salary.

Analyst

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Overtime houra and nice environment and people.

Cons

A lot of work and people walking around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Good place to get your foot in the door, that's about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent entry level position, feed you at meetings

Cons

Low salary, benefits not great, not a lot of room for growth within the company

First step

Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay company for those just out of college - a decent first step into the environmental industry

Cons

Very poorly managed and structured. Low paying, low employee morale, not a "retire here" type place.
    Most of the employees who have longevity here are the types of employees who are happy with mediocrity.

They don't listen - no need to waste time

Good place to gain experience

Current Employee - Lab Analyst I
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst I

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain quality experience in the environmental science field.
    Easy to move up in the company if you show interest and work hard.

Cons

Low pay and small raises.
    Numerous equipment problems which causes mandatory overtime.
    Not much upward mobility.

Great as long as you're not a contract employee, then watch your back

Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were great, and I was lucky to be placed at 3M. Nothing wrong with working there--flexible workday, great people, labs, constant building improvements, excellent work environment. Very high standards, it is understood but never said that everyone is (or is supposed to be) a Type A workaholic and overachiever. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just don't ever think you can coast along there.

Because I was assigned to 3M I had an indirect experience with my Pace managers; emails about submitting timesheets on time and the like. I actually met them during the monthly meetings (which didn't seem to accomplish much in my mind) and when I was unexpectedly canned.

Cons

Contracters are expendable, and they (your contract company) will not hesitate to drop you with no warning at all if they think you're slacking, regardless of the circumstances. Once that happened, all Pace could do was say "well, sorry, please talk to HR on Monday and we'll see what we can do."

Have a better backup plan for contract employees. I jumped on an opening right after getting canned and got an intervew, but they chose someone else and I'm still waiting to hear back about all the other openings I keep applying for... it would be really easy to stick someone with a few years' experience in an entry-level position until something more appropriate opens up.