Pace Analytical Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Steve A Vanderboom

Pros
  • Great people to work with all suffering together LOVED working for the previous company, ELAB (in 3 reviews)

• Pace Analytical has a decent benefits package and my position allowed flex time and a condensed workweek which was a great bonus (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work expected from you (in 7 reviews)

• There is not one person (minus upper management) in the building who actually likes their job and doesn't want to work somewhere else (in 6 reviews)

1. Pace LabOps contract

Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst III in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst III in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process was quick, I had an offer within two weeks of my contacting the company with an interest in a position. For anyone new to the area or in a life transition, this is a great option for getting a good job quickly. All of the Pace employees I was in contact with were professional, courteous, and genuine.

I was a contract employee placed in a position with a well-regarded company in the local area. This position suited me and my skills well, offered me training opportunities, and the ability to work with new lab equipment. It was a term-limited contract, which gave me time to find a permanent position with another great Minnesota employer.

Cons

My position was a term-limited contract with no permanence. Due to this circumstance, I was unable to view Pace Analytical as a dependable employer as they could not guarantee a new placement once my contract was over.

The vacation and sick time benefits were the poorest I have had in any job. Time is earned regardless of pay grade or position, but is based on years of service with only 6 days of vacation in year 1 (this has changed to 10 days recently). Earning 1.5 hours of sick per 80 hours worked makes it difficult to build up and results in tough decisions to make when one is sick and has not earned enough time.

Advice to Management

Make a more competitive benefits package if your aim is to compete for happy and dedicated employees in the Minneapolis-St. Paul job market.

2. Best way to get foot in heavy doors

Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pace Analytical is a fantastic, well-managed lab and staffing company. The recruiters and site managers genuinally care about their employees, even the ones that work offsite. You can expect prompt replies about any problems or conscerns. If you come on as a contractor, they have an excellent reputation and good relations amongst Twin Cities area science-based companies. They can give you a way in at companies such as 3M, Honeywell, Genenal Mills, and Boston Scientific.

Cons

The pay is slightly below industry average, but the benefits compensate. If you are a contractor, I wouldn't rely on getting hired fulltime. It's only a chance, and it's more the exception than the rule. Be proactive and try to stand out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. But don't overburden the on-site managers too badly.

Manager

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Some flexibility in work schedule.

Cons

High stress. Continual change in scope of work.

5. Contractor gig

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Very easy to get a job - they literally hire anyone

Cons

no opportunities for advancement and only offer contract opportunities

Advice to Management

You have a lot of talented employees in your contractor bases - and you will lose them all if you dont offer opportunies for advancement

6. Analyst

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time

Pros

Lots of hours, lots of experience to be gained
    Ability to work in a number of fields
    Great starter job for post college

Cons

Offsite work hours can be long
    Staffing for offsite has to work within hours set by company working for

Advice to Management

Offer less rotating shifts to people with families, or a higher compensation for those doing rotating shifts

7. Project Manager I

Current Employee - Project Manager I in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager I in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Good job to get directly out of college. Working for Pace as a contractor at other large companies can help build relationships that will lead to a better job outside of Pace.

Cons

Pay is well below the market average for similar positions. Not very much room for growth at all. Company seems to be built around a model that is beneficial for them to keep employees for a short amount of time, but not allow many employees to move up to what they deserve in terms of position and compensation.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for growth within Pace. Have a reward for the top level employees, otherwise the top employees all leave for better opportunities, and Pace is left with the people who aren't able to find other better jobs.

8. Great Fellow Employees. Low Pay. No Advancement Opportunities.

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Ormond Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Ormond Beach, FL

I have been working at Pace Analytical (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work. Okay starter job or resume builder. Cook-outs. Nice people (mostly).

Cons

Low pay, $13.50/hour starting for Lab Tech/Lab Analyst. Limited to no career advancement opportunities, unless you're the janitor. High turn-over rate (6-18 months). HR is very inexperienced and quite the unprofessional gossiper who doesn't keep employee relations or complaints to herself, rather blabs it all around. Don't stay too long.

Advice to Management

CEO is a really nice guy, but the philosophy seems to be hire recent college grads or people with limited experience, pay them low and just re-hire new employees when they quit after 6 months.

9. Disorganized/Disconnected

Current Employee - Lab Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Name recognition, it is the biggest name in the midwest in analytical testing.

Cons

Disconnected management, especially upper management
    No room for advancement
    Unwillingness to listen to new ideas
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Treat them better. Happier employees lead to less turnover and more money and time saved.

10. Growth opportunities.

I have been working at Pace Analytical

Pros

Pace is the only environmental laboratory with sustainable annual growth. This growth provides multiple opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Relatively weak upper management in some areas.

Advice to Management

Some of the internal systems (email, etc...) are inefficient. Utilize current systems and hardware to make employees more efficient.

11. Laboratory technician

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good introduction to laboratory technique at the most basic levels as well as EPA methods. It is could be used as a resume builder but that is about it. This is because there is little to no room for advancement for people hired as temps(all new hires unless you know personally know a hiring manager/upper management)

Cons

What concerns me most about having worked this job is the exposure to many cancerous solvents and various unknown compounds. There is little thought put into even the most basic of protective measures; chemical spills, noxious fumes, open faced acid baths, etc.)

Advice to Management

Upper management should heed advice from middle management. Middle management- dont let people blow themselves or others up!

RSS Feed </> Embed