Pace Analytical

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve A Vanderboom

Great lab, great people, horrible leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pace Analytical

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsUpper management does not have a clue how to keep customers happy.

Taste of the real world.

Lab Analyst I (Current Employee)
Melville, NY

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time

ProsBenefits are nice, coworkers are friendly

ConsUpper management is usually clueless, very little training at entry level, high stress low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more encouraging and provide more training.

A place to get experience but don't get stuck here

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, flexibility with time off and start times. Days go extremely fast because you are often running around like a crazy person to even realize what time it is.

ConsEveryone does what they want with no consquences. There are MANY people (in and out of the lab) who should not have jobs there due to lack of skills, failing at the job time after time, and even harassing other employees. However, they are so desperate for employees due to extreme turn over that management refuses to fire anyone. Apparently people who mess up constantly, making the few analysts who do their job correctly having to fix the mistakes time and time again, are better than noone. Not true. If you are going to pride yourself on integrity and correct results, actually produce this. It is very hard to hire someone who knows what they are doing due to lack of pay and long hours. Therefore, most of the employees are straight out of school lacking the knowledge and work ethic necessary for a lab to run smoothly.
The hours are unbearable and you quickly become married to your job, even as a recent graduate just starting your career. The pay is laughable for what you are required to get done in a day and the chemicals you are exposed to.
Local managment is too worried about everyone liking them and being friends with the people in their department (20+ years younger) to actually be a BOSS and reprimand when necessary and instead makes other analysts do their dirty work.
There is not one person (minus upper management) in the building who actually likes their job and doesn't want to work somewhere else. Even the people who are in management positions are comfortable but hate their job. However, there is no free time to job search.
This is solely a job for the desperate, to build your resume. Put a few years in and GET THE HELL OUT before you get stuck here like so many others.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work does not amount to much. Overworked and underpaid

Lab Analyst II (Current Employee)
Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people you work with tend to be helpful and friendly. If you work with a group of hard worker it makes it a lot easier. There are benefits, vacation, floating holidays, and sick time. Hours are flexible as long as the work gets done on time.

ConsIt's hard to move upwards requiring a lot of work and time. Even then they low ball you, giving you the bare minimum of pay with stupid excuses as to why. The equipment is older than most of the people that work there requiring constant maintenance and a lot of down time. When asking for new it has to be within the budget and even then it's used equipment that barely works.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere isn't incentive to do better if you don't treat your employees with the integrity you say you do. Pay your honest hard workers what they deserve so you don't lose them to inexperience people that don't care if the work gets done right. Your raise scale for your production team is atrocious and you should be ashamed.

Good for Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time

ProsGood way and place to experience in the industry and get your feet wet, that is about it though really.

ConsPay is very low, and no real opportunities within the company. Very corporate atmosphere, and you can tell they really care more about the bottom line than the employees

Pace Analytical is a good place for your first job, but there isn't much growth opportunity.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time for more than a year

ProsEntry level contract positions at large companies with the hope that one day you will get hired on full time by the company that you physically work at.

ConsAs a contract worker there are lese benefits than if you were actually hired by the company that you physically work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore job growth opportunities within Pace itself.

Stay away

Quality Assurance Data Reviewer (Former Employee)
Oakdale, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time for more than a year

ProsBecause there is very high turnover, there is more potential for movement and/or a promotion than at a stable company
Overtime work is abundant and unavoidable

ConsThe marketing end of this contract laboratory makes unrealistic promises to the customers, and then management will harass, manipulate and threaten the chemists into working crazy overtime to make it happen. Pace does not care if you have family or friends outside of work. They regularly come at the end of the day with several hours of "extremely hot" rush work and expect you to skip all your evening appointments again and again. I saw several of my co-workers in tears over the disappointment of missing out on a weekend trip or the guilt they felt abandoning their children and missing all parent-teacher conferences. Even fresh graduates who have no family or social life get burned out after working weekend after weekend. The amount of vacation they give is very low for the industry, and they force you to use some of it when their business is slow in January or February. Don't expect to get a Friday off in the summer.

Pace accept contracts for work with very dangerous chemicals, and employees are usually too rushed to read the MSDS and know what they are handling. Expect be exposed to poisons while you are here. The building is old and the ventilation system and hoods don't always keep poisonous gasses out of the room. The heating and cooling system has issues too, and is has occasionally been 90 degrees inside in the summer and below 40 degrees in the winter.

Pace likes to hire people directly out of college, because fresh graduates don't know what is and isn't legal. Every boss I had in this company pressured me to break the law. When I reported unethical conduct, I found myself reassigned to the copy machine and my employee file was suddenly filled with anonymous reports of rude and inappropriate behavior. I also saw other individuals denied promotion or reassigned for political reasons.
If you are salaried, they will demand a minimum of 5 hours of overtime a week, with 25% or more overtime expected during busy times. They give out a paper the first day of employment stating that OSHA requires them to allow two 15 minute breaks a day, but then tell you verbally that no one else is taking breaks and you probably shouldn't either. They load everyone with much more than can be done in 8 hours a day and are furious if anything is late.

The wages are low for the industry and when I worked there it was cheaper to buy insurance on your own than to take what they offered. The president emails out monthly rants about politics and how upset he is to be held to the same rules other companies are. They don't give raises every year and they keep pushing back the date for when raises go into effect. Hard work is seldom rewarded, but mistakes are called out and criticized sharply. I have heard bosses at every level including the CEO unjustly verbally attack people under them. Most people there would like to leave, but the frequent attacks on your self esteem make it very difficult to act confidently if you get an interview anywhere else.

Pace wages are not worth the physical danger and psychological torture you risk by walking through the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementPace claims to value integrity. The place would be a whole lot better if the managers actually had some.

Pace claims to value employees. Please do.

Stay away...Unless you really need a job.

Contract Lab Chemist II (Former Employee)
Maplewood, MN

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPlaces you with decent companies...That's about all they do.

ConsBenefits are crap, pay is below market value, they do not challenge or inspire employees to learn, they do nothing to help employees transition into full time positions, management structure is horrible

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and be honest to employees

Slow management process for the lab ops division

Lab Analyst I (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pace Analytical full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to move around within the company to different positions, minimum 6 months per position.

ConsVery slow review process for lab ops division, and lack of camaraderie between coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove employee moral and reduce turnover rates by speeding up the overall annual review process, even if doing so requires you to press the client to be prompt on their end.

Good job straight out of college

Lab Technician III (Former Employee)

I worked at Pace Analytical full-time for more than a year

ProsGained experience. The company is good at training new people who have no prior work experience in the field. Benefits were ok.

ConsLow pay. Work load would often vary. Overtime would sometimes be required due to rush work coming in late in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO sent out an email basically telling everyone to vote Republican, because Obama's polices would not be good for the company. I felt this was inappropriate.

Worked for Pace Analytical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pace Analytical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pace Analytical CEO Steve A Vanderboom. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Pace Analytical employees.