Pace International

Pace Americas

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, Casual office environment, Stocked Pantry

Cons

HR not efficient, need more engineers

Should market products and get more clients

So-So company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Boss. Free Sodas and waters.

Cons

Lower pay than comparable companies. There is a bonus, but it's out of engineers hands, depends on sales. Very little original work done, repackage vendors code mostly, add a few bells & whistles. Vacation time average, benefits average. Very poor raise last year after (what I've heard) several years of no raises. Understaffed. Interesting work done in Austin.

Raise pay.

This Company Is a Stepping Stool Into A call center/technical Support Field!

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative ICM (Business/Residential) in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PERKS - There is a bonus you can get if you are the top ten percent of the call center. 2.50 an hour for every hour you worked plus time and a half on over time.

CULTURE - This place is a a tech junkies paradise. The best part of working here is the people. We are all very tech savvy. We love video games, Computers, Card games, and so much more. Magic and D&D groups are everywhere! Many people with hand held game systems sit in the break area and play with each other. So much fub the whole call center is a hang out.

Cons

RATE OF PAY - Pay is a sad and unfortunate for this businesses, Twelve dollars an hour was exciting when I started there over a year ago but now its kind of pathetic. Many people were given "raises" when I started there to twelve dollars only to find that everyone would be moved to twelve dollars with or without tenure or experience and the people at twelve dollars already would maintain that pay rate despite their recognition of experience and knowledge.

CLEANLINESS AND HEALTH - They do not have anyone cleaning desks out or off many desks have a thick layer of dust in and around the computer bottoms of mice have sticky layers of black grossness on them that you have to clean to allow the mouse to move smoothly and we do have drawers at our desks that never get cleaned out. Many of which are filled with spoiled food containers, wrappers, trash and paperwork leftovers, accidental spills that have been there so long that they are hard as rock and fuzzy. This is also due to not having assigned desks due to the high turnover rate here. So people sit wherever and we spread sickness like apple spreads bad phones. I made the mistake of trying to shake out a keyboard once and it was disgusting ! Due to the call center and its cleanliness you will get you sick regularly. I myself have had the flu, a sinus infection, and pink eye. All of the poor cleanliness contributed to the BEDBUG outbreak which began three months ago and everyone in the center was complaining about bites and fear of them moving to their homes. I took heavy precautions in which I had to come home and strip out of my clothing on my porch and leave my purse and all my things outside while I ran for the bathroom to shower! Spider Bites where another not so great thing that broke out there in which several people were bitten by black widows in particular which sent them to the er with large swollen bite areas! I felt bad that the three or four people who suffered a bite because after leaving the er they had to come back to volt/pace with a note and ask for the day off out of fear of the strict attendance policy. Others I spoke with mentioned getting lice and finding ticks and fleas on them after work ! For all of the bug outbreaks and gross desks filled with food and layers of dust pace put up caution tape around desks that had bedbugs and took a week before they started to spray the call center for the bugs. They still have yet to clean any of the desks out or off. Nothing has been about agents not washing their hands after using the restroom. No little signs that say “you are required to wash your hands before returning to your desk.”, nothing! The bathrooms are also pretty bad. The sweet cleaning lady had to put up a sign asking people to not wipe their boogers on the bathroom walls! So, be warned don't allow people taking your supervisor escalations to use your headset and DO not forget to be armed with Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer.

THE TOOLS FOR THE JOB - There is also a lack of chairs ..... not desks or computers but simply chairs to sit in.... for someone who works all day at a computer having a comfortable chair to sit in for support is a must and while I worked there MANY people sat in stationary chairs with hard ridged backs despite my several attempts to speak to the building manager to get us more chairs. Not to mention the computers fans are often clogged with dust. Computer mice are covered in gross and often do not move smoothly without a good cleaning. They often have servers down so tools do not work and there are many changes to your access to tools revoking and giving back tools several times a month. Getting your access back after a policy change is very difficult and takes months.

SUPPORT AND TRAINING - The support is awful, especially for lower tenure agents! It takes forever to get a response in any of the chats offered for assistance and the company policy on support changes more than Dolly Parton's face. Let me give you a breakdown of the changes made during my year and two months there with volt/pace. When I first started there were floorwalkers, people pulled off the phones to assist other agents and walk around the floor for support, as well as escalations desk and SOS agents ..... I became a floorwalker at this time in which there are NEVER enough people I was often left alone with a group of people following me begging for support. When I was on the floor with another person many are rude and don't explain what needs to be done. They are often rude and condescending to lower tenure agents questions because they are easy and they should know how to do it ! With the exception of a couple people who ran floor support much of my experience in this position was bad which made me seek out only certain people for help when taking calls and made me want to answer as many questions as I could when I was a floor support agent. Then they cut many agents from escalations desk and scraped sos agents altogether sending many agents back to the phones with no notice which had many people quit. Then there was the sudden switch in staffing agencies! Originally I had been hired on with aerotek then suddenly around six months they told all the temp agents that we needed to switch to volt with no notice many of us left or stayed with aerotek. I on the other hand went over to volt and accepted that my resume would look terrible because it looks like I worked 5 months with aerotek and nine with volt but they don’t really care about that at all ! Then they moved escalations desk to the opposite side of the call center only including about 12 agents 6 for the morning and 6 for the evening to answer all the chat rooms which is not enough and allowed many people to wait 20 mins for simple things we did not have access to. Then they took away many tools because agents where over using them leaving people who know how to use them to fill out a template in one of these undermanned chat rooms and wait. Then they moved escal desk in its entirety to their own area and stopped allowing people to walk up and ask questions they eliminated floorwalkers and have a new thing called performance coaches which again are not enough to support all of these agents. As far as training is concerned we have had many things including, Nesting then nesting moved to a second part of the floor then that was scrapped and new agents are tossed out into the main area with everyone else we have also had a place called micro center where you go when you have a bad survey then it changed to when you are below a certain percentage in a particular stat then it was scrapped as well ...... Wow. Be prepared to struggle with day to day work!

FOR THOSE WHO LOOK FOR A RELATIONSHIP AT WORK - There are no standards of conduct here.... Many couples work together and everyone is seeing everyone. If your looking for a relationship this place is rampant with people looking for the same. The drama surrounding it is much like a high school with no professionalism to be found! For the Adults in the building it is difficult to do anything without someone coming on to you or calling you "Cutie" I am married and it did little to slow down the men here.

GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITY - Then there is what they call “growth opportunities” in a temp to perm company, let me clarify! People are not getting switched from temp to perm there are no raises and don't get me started on the new business section in which half the call center got trained for and got ZERO for a raise even tho there are other centers getting paid seventeen dollars an hour for business calls but we are still at twelve.... with a few whispered rumors of a small pay increase next year ! If you're looking for a job and need something entry level to gain a history with call centers and tech support this is what you use this job for like I said its a stepping stool. Suffer for a year here and get a better job like I did !

PERKS THAT ARE NOT PERKS - There is a very VERY small break room with minimal seating and a guy who cooks food. The small tv seems to be often taken up by a sports game of the season. There are two poorly maintained computers to use for the internet vending machines are WAY over priced and are stocked with what seems like all the candy and food they couldn't sell in store like weird hot pockets and trial flavors of name brand candy. The smoking area is covered by sheet metal which gets very hot the fans out there have never worked and two thirds othe day the sheet metal does nothing for protection from the sun. Then when it rains the ashtrays full with water and no one cleans them out they sit and fester for days after a storm.

ATTENDANCE POLICY - I saved the best for last! The attendance policy is another major failure in the company! You get forty hours for an entire year and if you go over you get in trouble. It starts with one verbal warning, then one write up and then you are fired! That means you are not to call out more than five days a year for eight hour shifts and four days a year for people who work four tens. The Doctors notes do not change anything so don't bother getting one.

You should go look in a few desks and actually talk to your employees about their concerns and the attendance policy is terrible ! There are many pockets of poor leadership and lack of communication in your company time to take a step in and see it for yourself!

Last Resort if you're looking for a Tech Job in San Antonio

Former Employee - Tier II Tech Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Tier II Tech Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pace International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get tech support experience you can take somewhere else.

I've heard other divisions of the company aren't so bad to work for, and the routers and their remote access tool are quite good.

Cons

They have not heard of work/life balance. Your schedule can change on less than a week's notice with little concern for whether you're actually... you know... able to get there. "Oh, you take the bus? That's too bad, here's a schedule that gets out at midnight."

Promotions are not earned through hard work, but rather through a mixture of mouthing their policies sufficiently, a willingness to disregard the humanity of your co-workers and an understanding that your life will be dictated by "company needs" which will change from week to week.

Their "coaching" method is structured so that there is always something wrong with your call. "Your empathy statement wasn't within the first two minutes of the call." or "Your questions about their other services were not specific enough." Thus, they can fire you or put you on a "corrective action plan" at any point in time. If you are on a corrective action plan, you are disqualified from their statistic based incentive program, regardless of actual performance.

The supervisors often have absolutely no idea how to do your job. Really makes it hard for them to even know if you're doing your job properly or not.

The software they require you to use for troubleshooting is incredibly inaccurate, full of bugs, updated rarely and never fixed properly.

The surveys: They don't have your name on them. They will lie to you and tell you that they do. They don't. I have seen them. If the survey is poor, it does not matter if it is not about you. The customer states: "I had this stupid girl from a foreign country as my first agent, who was worse than useless. The only reason I'm still a customer is because your tier 2 agent fixed my internet." Customer rates their experience a 6. This results in the Tier 2 agent being coached and micromanaged as though they're too incompetent to take calls. Yes, by the way, a 6 counts against you just as badly as a 1.

Compensation is less than standard for the job type.

They are unfamiliar with personal growth as a concept. The current upper management discourages any sort of personality at all, and doesn't believe that you should have a personal life outside of work, either.

If you want to have good customer service, treat those who provide it better - you know, like humans, instead of incompetents that need to be babysat. Consider raises for employees that have been loyal to the company for years. Consider more flexible scheduling options - Honestly, you hire loads of people every month, try hiring for the shift you need rather than transferring long term employees to it randomly.

And most of all: A good employee is a person with a sense of responsibility to you, but they won't stay when you've shown them beyond a doubt that you have no sense of responsibility to them.

Good work environment but not much room for growth, especially for women.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits offered including 401K matching and employee sharesave plan. Laid-back and flexible work environment, no one micro manages when you come and go. The annual Holiday party is very nice. There is free yoga offered twice weekly and free beverages available to employees. There is an annual performance-based bonus which is nice.

Cons

Not much room for growth, especially for women. You have to fight to get a promotion unless you're a man. Then the sky is the limit. They start your salary very low and again you have to fight if you think you deserve more. The amount of staff is kept to a bare minimum so what a team of people would do in another company rests solely on one or 2 people here so the stress level can get extremely high. The maternity leave is mostly non-existent, the only thing you get is short-term disability and there is an 8 day elimination period for that so for example if you get 6 weeks, it becomes 6 weeks-8 days, therefore only 4 full weeks and 4 days you will get paid STD pay. Then nothing, you can only use your accrued PTO to get any sort of pay the rest of the time.

Stop pigeonholing women and give us some more opportunities. You'd be amazed what we are capable of if you'd give us a chance. I've seen so many undeserving men get promoted while the women who are doing amazing jobs and work extremely hard are still in the same position year after year. It's a real shame. Offer some sort of paid leave for maternity leave, even a week or 2 would make such a huge difference to your employees and their families. Show appreciation by letting us go a couple of hours early before a holiday, it really means a lot to people to get to spend a few extra hours with their families.

unwelcoming environment.

Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Information Technology experience, mid-decent pay of $12/hr as tier 1 & 2, and if you kiss the right butt and mimic the unprofessional tendencies of your rude manager, maybe a chance at a promotion. And even though you can't get requested days off most times, you can however get over time and a chance at making extra money.

Cons

Immature supervisors and coaches who provide little help when needed, but will be quick to deliver corrective action. They slack off all day playing on their cell phones and abuse chat room usage, as well as company policy on internet usage, by posting unprofessional content in chat rooms. Poor training classes with little to no success rate during the first month of employment, and even worse coaching sessions during employment.

Remember, its not the management that makes the company great, its the hardworking subordinates that provide great customer service despite taking psychological and verbal abuse from developmentally arrested customers.

Frustrating

I worked at Pace International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers mostly. The poor performers are not held accountable. The worst are promoted.

Cons

Poor Sr. Mgmt. The poor performers are not held accountable. The worst are promoted.

No advice to give - the top people are intelligent people lacking good ethics.

Started off good then took a major nose dive

Current Employee - Software Integration Engineer in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Software Integration Engineer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not micromanaged, flexible work hours

Cons

no opportunity to move up, minimal learning new skills, wasted skill sets and talent, horrible pay, endless promises and excuses of how more opportunities will become available but nothing is ever done, does not have the best interest of all their employees.

Promote/give raises to employees who deserve it. If an employee is making less and has more skill set and experience do not bring in new people or contractors that will be compensated more than them. Move the good workers up and then shift the new people into their old position.

Great people...poor leadership

Current Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Pace International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very challenging and mentally stimulating work environment. Opportunity to help make a difference in customer's lives. Great growth and advancement opportunities. Excellent working relationships with fellow supervisors, agents, Q&A and WFO.

Cons

Detached management. They have little clue as to how their actions have an impact on their LoB. Management is not properly trained how to handle issues. They show little interest in helping resolve issues. Managers have resorted to threatening employees and creating a hostile work environment. Corporate has taken little action to improve work conditions.

Employees are Crap

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Pace International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to learn technology

Cons

Lousy pay. Lousy hours. No career advancement. Layoffs every quarter and when they do, its a few people at a time so as not to trigger WARN act

Build your assets in employees and they will pull hard for you. If you have only short-term goals then everyone will be dissatisfied and all you can do is spin your wheels and remain at the same place till the gas runs out.

Pace International Photos