Pace International Reviews

1. Sr. Software QA Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pace International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good to work with some long time experienced collegues.

Cons

Not a great technology place

Numbers Driven, Not People Driven

I have been working at Pace International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have some good, innovative and better business minded people. They have potential to create great software, middleware, and hardware products

Cons

Pace focuses it's money on being "good enough." They have good ideas, but lack the follow through and the manpower to see those projects be what was originally promised. There's big talk and only decent delivery. Yes, there are sound business ventures made, but as mentioned before, instead of cultivating those ventures into being Quality Products, they keep expanding in various places of the industry, spreading too thin. Also, communication as a whole is some of the worst I've seen. My last negative critique is the management, and how the majority that I've encountered need some serious developing, whether it's basic techniques like addressing and mentoring a struggling employee or conveying difficult critiques to more complex issues like being tactful delivering different messages. The CEO of the company definitely could learn some diplomacy, if he's going to be effective in the international market.

Advice to Management

A successful company is ultimately the people you choose to be a part of the organization doing the their job well. At the end if the day, numbers are meaningless. It's the talent, skill and passion of your employees that take a business from being OK/profitable to being great/innovative. Pace is just OK

3. Could be much better

I have been working at Pace International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good looking facilities around the world, Good portfolio of customers and products, great engineering and knowledgeable employees, Good benefits according to the industry normally offers, Flexible hours (most of the time), good people and environment

Cons

Low salaries according to the office region and industry, poor HR engagement and low motivation level in general, lack of training opportunities, lack of career path plan, lack of balance on workload and life, expected to work after hours in most of the cases.

Advice to Management

Better (or any) HR engagement with employees and motivation plan, training programs to technical team, better working conditions in order to balance workload and life

5. it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pace International

Pros

It's ok money to make

Cons

It's a good while you look for a great job.

Advice to Management

The training wasn't sufficient enough. Once I was on the floor I was told "forget everything u learned in training because it doesn't matter".

6. Talented group of dedicated Engineers!

I worked at Pace International

Pros

Great team of software and hardware engineers throughout the company.

Cons

Challenges to remain competitive with low margins.

7. Considering Employment at Pace - Tread Carefully

I worked at Pace International

Pros

It's a paycheck...if you can ignore the harassment, drug use, Mgrs, sups and Perf coachs who play favorites and dont do their job.

Cons

Leadership is horrible - you will want to quit your first week on the floor (suggest you contact Aerotech who will place you in a much better company where you can thrive)

Advice to Management

Stop getting rid of good people. Stop lying about business outlook. You closed a center and are about to close another..not good. Tempe is next... You need to Care about people more.

Avoid by any means

I worked at Pace International

Pros

Clean and well managed facility in San Jose with big parking lot. Nice gym and lunch area.

Cons

Culture and polices of this company are below any standards of Silicon Valley. They laid off employee after 16 years of continuous work with only 5 weeks of severance and 2.5 weeks of medical coverage. This is below any decency. Company has poor benefits and time-off polices. Avoid by any means

9. Low pay

Current Employee - Technical Support
    Current Employee - Technical Support

I have been working at Pace International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only work here if you need something until a better job.

Cons

$11.50 an hour for Tier 2 level work. I doubt either Pace or AT&T even care or know that this pay rate is insulting and almost a decade behind the times.

Advice to Management

I find it surprising that AT&T would entrust their support to such a low paying contractor. The place is a revolving door.

10. So-So company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Pace International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Boss. Free Sodas and waters.

Cons

Lower pay than comparable companies. There is a bonus, but it's out of engineers hands, depends on sales. Very little original work done, repackage vendors code mostly, add a few bells & whistles. Vacation time average, benefits average. Very poor raise last year after (what I've heard) several years of no raises. Understaffed. Interesting work done in Austin.

Advice to Management

Raise pay.

This Company Is a Stepping Stool Into A call center/technical Support Field!

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative ICM (Business/Residential) in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Pace International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PERKS - There is a bonus you can get if you are the top ten percent of the call center. 2.50 an hour for every hour you worked plus time and a half on over time. CULTURE - This place is a a tech junkies paradise. The best part of working here is the people. We are all very tech savvy. We love video games, Computers, Card games, and so much more. Magic and D&D groups are everywhere! Many people with hand held game systems sit in the break area and play with each other. So much fub the whole call center is a hang out.

Cons

RATE OF PAY - Pay is a sad and unfortunate for this businesses, Twelve dollars an hour was exciting when I started there over a year ago but now its kind of pathetic. Many people were given "raises" when I started there to twelve dollars only to find that everyone would be moved to twelve dollars with or without tenure or experience and the people at twelve dollars already would maintain that pay rate despite their recognition of experience and knowledge. CLEANLINESS AND HEALTH - They do not have anyone cleaning desks out or off many desks have a thick layer of dust in and around the computer bottoms of mice have sticky layers of black grossness on them that you have to clean to allow the mouse to move smoothly and we do have drawers at our desks that never get cleaned out. Many of which are filled with spoiled food containers, wrappers, trash and paperwork leftovers, accidental spills that have been there so long that they are hard as rock and fuzzy. This is also due to not having assigned desks due to the high turnover rate here. So people sit wherever and we spread sickness like apple spreads bad phones. I made the mistake of trying to shake out a keyboard once and it was disgusting ! Due to the call center and its cleanliness you will get you sick regularly. I myself have had the flu, a sinus infection, and pink eye. All of the poor cleanliness contributed to the BEDBUG outbreak which began three months ago and everyone in the center was complaining about bites and fear of them moving to their homes. I took heavy precautions in which I had to come home and strip out of my clothing on my porch and leave my purse and all my things outside while I ran for the bathroom to shower! Spider Bites where another not so great thing that broke out there in which several people were bitten by black widows in particular which sent them to the er with large swollen bite areas! I felt bad that the three or four people who suffered a bite because after leaving the er they had to come back to volt/pace with a note and ask for the day off out of fear of the strict attendance policy. Others I spoke with mentioned getting lice and finding ticks and fleas on them after work ! For all of the bug outbreaks and gross desks filled with food and layers of dust pace put up caution tape around desks that had bedbugs and took a week before they started to spray the call center for the bugs. They still have yet to clean any of the desks out or off. Nothing has been about agents not washing their hands after using the restroom. No little signs that say “you are required to wash your hands before returning to your desk.”, nothing! The bathrooms are also pretty bad. The sweet cleaning lady had to put up a sign asking people to not wipe their boogers on the bathroom walls! So, be warned don't allow people taking your supervisor escalations to use your headset and DO not forget to be armed with Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. THE TOOLS FOR THE JOB - There is also a lack of chairs ..... not desks or computers but simply chairs to sit in.... for someone who works all day at a computer having a comfortable chair to sit in for support is a must and while I worked there MANY people sat in stationary chairs with hard ridged backs despite my several attempts to speak to the building manager to get us more chairs. Not to mention the computers fans are often clogged with dust. Computer mice are covered in gross and often do not move smoothly without a good cleaning. They often have servers down so tools do not work and there are many changes to your access to tools revoking and giving back tools several times a month. Getting your access back after a policy change is very difficult and takes months. SUPPORT AND TRAINING - The support is awful, especially for lower tenure agents! It takes forever to get a response in any of the chats offered for assistance and the company policy on support changes more than Dolly Parton's face. Let me give you a breakdown of the changes made during my year and two months there with volt/pace. When I first started there were floorwalkers, people pulled off the phones to assist other agents and walk around the floor for support, as well as escalations desk and SOS agents ..... I became a floorwalker at this time in which there are NEVER enough people I was often left alone with a group of people following me begging for support. When I was on the floor with another person many are rude and don't explain what needs to be done. They are often rude and condescending to lower tenure agents questions because they are easy and they should know how to do it ! With the exception of a couple people who ran floor support much of my experience in this position was bad which made me seek out only certain people for help when taking calls and made me want to answer as many questions as I could when I was a floor support agent. Then they cut many agents from escalations desk and scraped sos agents altogether sending many agents back to the phones with no notice which had many people quit. Then there was the sudden switch in staffing agencies! Originally I had been hired on with aerotek then suddenly around six months they told all the temp agents that we needed to switch to volt with no notice many of us left or stayed with aerotek. I on the other hand went over to volt and accepted that my resume would look terrible because it looks like I worked 5 months with aerotek and nine with volt but they don’t really care about that at all ! Then they moved escalations desk to the opposite side of the call center only including about 12 agents 6 for the morning and 6 for the evening to answer all the chat rooms which is not enough and allowed many people to wait 20 mins for simple things we did not have access to. Then they took away many tools because agents where over using them leaving people who know how to use them to fill out a template in one of these undermanned chat rooms and wait. Then they moved escal desk in its entirety to their own area and stopped allowing people to walk up and ask questions they eliminated floorwalkers and have a new thing called performance coaches which again are not enough to support all of these agents. As far as training is concerned we have had many things including, Nesting then nesting moved to a second part of the floor then that was scrapped and new agents are tossed out into the main area with everyone else we have also had a place called micro center where you go when you have a bad survey then it changed to when you are below a certain percentage in a particular stat then it was scrapped as well ...... Wow. Be prepared to struggle with day to day work! FOR THOSE WHO LOOK FOR A RELATIONSHIP AT WORK - There are no standards of conduct here.... Many couples work together and everyone is seeing everyone. If your looking for a relationship this place is rampant with people looking for the same. The drama surrounding it is much like a high school with no professionalism to be found! For the Adults in the building it is difficult to do anything without someone coming on to you or calling you "Cutie" I am married and it did little to slow down the men here. GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITY - Then there is what they call “growth opportunities” in a temp to perm company, let me clarify! People are not getting switched from temp to perm there are no raises and don't get me started on the new business section in which half the call center got trained for and got ZERO for a raise even tho there are other centers getting paid seventeen dollars an hour for business calls but we are still at twelve.... with a few whispered rumors of a small pay increase next year ! If you're looking for a job and need something entry level to gain a history with call centers and tech support this is what you use this job for like I said its a stepping stool. Suffer for a year here and get a better job like I did ! PERKS THAT ARE NOT PERKS - There is a very VERY small break room with minimal seating and a guy who cooks food. The small tv seems to be often taken up by a sports game of the season. There are two poorly maintained computers to use for the internet vending machines are WAY over priced and are stocked with what seems like all the candy and food they couldn't sell in store like weird hot pockets and trial flavors of name brand candy. The smoking area is covered by sheet metal which gets very hot the fans out there have never worked and two thirds othe day the sheet metal does nothing for protection from the sun. Then when it rains the ashtrays full with water and no one cleans them out they sit and fester for days after a storm. ATTENDANCE POLICY - I saved the best for last! The attendance policy is another major failure in the company! You get forty hours for an entire year and if you go over you get in trouble. It starts with one verbal warning, then one write up and then you are fired! That means you are not to call out more than five days a year for eight hour shifts and four days a year for people who work four tens. The Doctors notes do not change anything so don't bother getting one.

Advice to Management

You should go look in a few desks and actually talk to your employees about their concerns and the attendance policy is terrible ! There are many pockets of poor leadership and lack of communication in your company time to take a step in and see it for yourself!

RSS Feed </> Embed