Pace

Updated November 12, 2014
2.4

CEO

OK place to work

I have been working at Pace

Pros

Nice work environment and colleagues

Cons

Personal growth and creativity not strong points

Workplace Hell

Former Employee - Technical Support T3 in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support T3 in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Pace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Intervals, where you get away from your job

Cons

terrible management, terrible pay, terrible phone system.

Quit your job. The managers at this job get screwed over by the folks in england.

Lousy place to work

Current Employee - Customer Advocacy Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Advocacy Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Benefits. Pace does offer good health insurance with AETNA, vision with VSP, and dental with Metlife. The life insurance was cheap, too. There's 401(k), and if you're into that sort of thing there is an option to purchase stock with the company. For every 2 weeks you get 6 hours of paid time off as well. There's holiday pay and for most holidays they'd let Pace employees have the day off and just make the contract employees work it.

-Intervals/Early Release. If call volume is low enough there's opportunity to commit to intervals, which are periods of 30 minutes at a time. There's also opportunity to apply for early release so that if it gets dead enough WFO will let you leave. There's also long lunch to increase from a 45 minute lunch to an hour and fifteen minutes if the call forecast is low enough. Considering the majority of calls are awful, it's fantastic to get time off the phones.

-Time off. It CAN be easy to get time off if you apply far enough in advance.

-Free coffee. I never drank it, but it was always available.

Cons

Everyone I ever spoke to that I worked with agreed on the following:

-Compensation. We definitely did not get paid enough for the amount of work we do and the amount of hell that we have to put up with.

-Rigid scheduling. Periodically, there would be a 'shift bid' in which, depending on your stats and ranking, you'd get to pick from a long list of schedules with everyone else. Too bad for you if you have a low rank and get stuck with something you hate. Unless you have school, you have no way out of it. I knew someone who had a new schedule forced upon her, and she told the supervisor who gave it to her that she couldn't work that schedule because she has a family to take care of. The supervisor's response? "That's not my problem." A pretty common attitude at PACE.

-Training. Training is lousy. The weeks of classroom training was pretty irrelevant with terrible simulators that spoonfeed you and really give you no help once you hit the phones, of which there were only 2 weeks of handholding. It really wasn't enough, evident by how some in my training class freaked out and quit in the middle of it. Half of my training class didn't make it. Later, when you're on the floor, there will be the occasional 'CE' - a powerpoint presentation which usually fails at effectively teaching anyone anything. This is followed by a short quiz which are easy to pass while only paying the minimum amount of attention to the powerpoint. But, everyone enjoys a CE, because it's time off of the phones.

-Management. Everything is a fire with this company, and there is always something new that they are cracking down on. One month it'll be surveys. The next it'll be some script they'll force you to read on every call. Or so on, or so forth, and everything is always a fire and they are always quick to remind you that the "next conversation will be accountability" even if you haven't done anything wrong. The thinly veiled threats are always abundant. They always like to implement new rules for the agents. As another review noted, they have an area dedicated to agents who received a poor survey and force them to sit there for 2 days or more to be micromanaged. They try to tell you they don't want people to see it as a punishment, but NOBODY likes going over there.

-Lack of opportunity. Oh, when you first work there, they like to make a lot of song and dance that you CAN make a career there and there's so much opportunity to move up.. all lies. As someone else liked to say, "They like to sell you a dream." Opportunities are incredibly limited, and despite the interview process, it becomes pretty apparent that they've already preselected their choice and just like to create the illusion that they're being fair - though recently, for a few promotions I've seen, they didn't even bother to do that. Other departments are eliminated or downsized now and then. I had at one point had hopes of joining the Quality team, but that team was eliminated, hilariously enough. I've seen other people get promoted, only to get demoted a few weeks later due to a sudden downsize and get left in a lower level department than what they were previously. Your only real chance of moving up is to become a supervisor, which seems like a fast track to either quitting or getting fired. Due to that, it seems like there's always a slot open.

-On that note, the conversion process. Nobody can tell you, HR included, how someone is selected to be converted from contract to employee. Nobody can give you a timeline when you should expect it or IF you should expect it to happen, either. When I was converted, my own supervisor was unaware of it. If a trainer promises you to expect it within 3 months or some other short timeframe, don't listen to him. He's selling you a dream.

-No opportunity for raises. In lieu of offering annual reviews for a raise, the company instead offers a 'Quicker Pace' incentive program. If your stats are high enough you'll be included in one of multiple tiers that will give you a bonus of up to .50c an hour for every hour worked. Most everyone agrees that we'd rather have the opportunity for a permanent raise instead of the very iffy chance of qualifying for this bonus. You also only qualify for this bonus if you're an agent taking calls, so if you get promoted to Escalation Desk for example, you have absolutely no chance of getting extra money - no bonuses OR raises.

-Abuse. Get used to it. For every nice and easygoing customer you'll talk to, there are probably at least 3 hostile ones. It gets incredibly grating.

All that being said, of course there worse call centers.. but that doesn't make PACE any better.

Stop constantly threatening everyone. Eliminate favoritism. Listen to employee suggestions and don't just offer lip service. Offer chances to get a raise instead of the incentive program.

Stressful

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Alsip, IL
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Alsip, IL

I worked at Pace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i liked the hours I worked

Cons

Very unorganized and immature employees especially in management

Stop being immatutre and stop trying to keep your friends and keep the workers that are dedicated and doing their job

Worst Place to Work!

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Pace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have intervals and early release

Cons

-Poor management, the mangers in the center are absolutely useless.
    -For all the probelm you have to go through 11/hr is not enough
    -Combines T1 and T2 agents into one and pay all the T1 agents that were force to be T2 with T1 pay.
    -Forcing rules that makes no sense, and get written up for the slightest mistake
    -Treat every employee there like idiots, they actually have an area created for employees that got a negative review from a random survey, and micro-manage them the whole shift.
    -Job itself was very easy, until they implemented rules that makes your life so much more harder
    -There is just too much for me to say, honestly this is the worst place to work period.
    -They like to talk about career opportunities, but in reality there is none.

Start caring about your employees and stop pretending like these dumb rules are going to benefit us!

High turnover, drugs, alcohol, and no matter how good you are, no raises.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative T1 in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative T1 in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Pace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience in technical support/customer service. Some of the supervisors are worth it but mostly just regular agents that qualified to apply as supervisors because they took the least amount of sick time.

I can't complain about the experience I got though. When you do a job that should pay $15 and you only get $11 you become pleasantly surprised at how qualified you are in the real market.

Cons

Very poor call center management and do not expect to make enough to live on here. Leads and sups are a joke and you can consider them the same level as regular agents because that's all they are. There is no opportunity for accessible lateral movement though to become a supervisor all you have to do is watch your attendance.

Hire real managers. Develop a pay scale to pay better agents more and not the stupid incentive program (that doesn't count when applying for a home loan). WFO needs to accept they do not hold any sort of qualification that lets them act the way they do; I worked there hoping to move up as I had a degree and was a top performer but, after two years, a Pace conversion, and topping all the stack ranking, I never got a pay increase. I quickly walked out in the middle of a shift as I realized, after research, that only 2 people above me actually could match my qualifications. I easily got a job for $15/hr two days later to tide me over till I got my Apria job. Within a year I was bringing in double what I made at pace.

Easy job

I have been working at Pace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really easy job once you figure out how to use all the tools. Paid training for 5 weeks, first 3 weeks were sitting in classroom doing nothing.

Cons

Hours are horrible and very irregular for a lot of the employees. Training was 3 weeks in class 2 answering calls and it was nowhere near enough. 3 weeks in class training was actually useless.

More control over the hours, I know turn over is really high and a lot of employees that get assigned hours that never get to work those hours but those hours are not offered to the current employees.

eh

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

at least its a job

Cons

everything else is very bad

plz stop

Phone job that sucks

Former Employee - Phone Tech Level I in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Phone Tech Level I in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gave you paid training, not everything you needed

Cons

Nobody but the managers like working there.

Hire more of the temp help!

"Tech support" position that has condescending and insolent management

Former Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support Tier I in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Pace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with your school schedule.

Cons

Lousy and useless software programs, very little relevant training for the position, belligerent and condescending management people. The training that they offer is a joke; virtually all PowerPoint presentations. Is useless when you have impudent hicks calling in with stupid questions. Many "tech support personnel" look like they just left a Star Trek convention. Need I say more?

Teach your management personnel and training "bay" staff some manners.