Pace University Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
3.1

Pace University President and Trustee Stephen J. Friedman
Stephen J. Friedman

Pros
  • Friendly staff, but not very professional (in 4 reviews)

• The past couple of years in particular were filled with change in the University and Career Services (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall, the level of disrespect that is given to hard working employees from upper management is alarming (in 6 reviews)

• the Executive Management in Career Services is awful; they don't care about staff, only promote "yes" people and take advantage of hard working staff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, changing and fast paced

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasantville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasantville, NY

I worked at Pace University full-time

Pros

The past couple of years in particular were filled with change in the University and Career Services. These changes presented challenges and opportunities and for me, growth. I received a title change/promotion after years of being at the same title/level. I also had an opportunity to develop processes, implement new programs and work closely with a School and its Deans, something that was previously "reserved" for management level. The time off policy is very generous, as is the the 403b and the location was great for me. Overall my colleagues in the department were professional, supportive and reliable. I had opportunities to collaborate with other departments and to teach.

Cons

There is a lot of change, which some people don't like. Higher ed in general is much more focused on outcomes and numbers, this is not special to Pace, this is the way the industry is going.

Continue/Allow employees to take advantage of the training and courses available as well as their time off

30 years in a career that makes a difference

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

Approaching my 30 year as originally an adjunct professor and then a member of the Career Services team I have never been more optimistic about the future of Pace University and Career Services. I would not be honest if I didn’t admit that this journey has not been bumpy at times. But, as I am also approaching my 72nd birthday, I can’t think of any place I would rather be.
    I have been through a number of presidents and I must say that President Friedman truly has made efforts to brand Pace as a force in the local and national academic world. He has been willing to take risks to position the uniqueness of this institution.
    I have met many of the deans of the schools and they are willing to explore curriculum which meets the demands of the outside world. None of this is easy in that there is so much resistance to change that has to be overcome.
    Over the more than 25 years I have been in career services there has been a lot of change. Not always in my opinion early on they had the best leadership. At times I wished that change would have taken place sooner. But, over the last half of my time in career services, my experience has become increasingly more positive.
    First of all, my contributions had become more increasingly recognized. Over a four year span I received three outstanding contribution awards. I don’t know if anybody else in the university has matched than. I was nominated by both Pace colleagues and students and alumni that I counseled. Still, I didn’t always feel that my talents were always taken advantage of to the fullest.
    All this changed with the appointment of the new Executive Director. She did a full assessment of the department and recommended some radical changes. This did not always sit so well with people who prospered from keeping things the way they were. Some people did not fit in and chose to leave.
    For me, her leadership was and is a breath of fresh air. It liberated me to use my talents more fully. When I recommended some changes she backed me despite fierce opposition and these changes have become institutionalized. She has redefined roles of counselors and put together a vibrant team for employer relations.
    To be more specific, the model of Career Services was that it was an organization focused on career education. We provided individual counseling, workshops and events aimed at improving the knowledge preparation of students to go out and find a job. In addition we had wonderful on campus recruiting and career fairs to help students meet employers.
    But, while all these efforts are important, more of an effort was need to facilitate students getting an internship or job. Our graduates demand that they not only get a great career education, but that they have an internship while attending the university and have a job in their field when they graduate. Our Executive Director challenges us every day to come up with better ideas to help us accomplish our mission.
    I am proud to be part of Pace University and Career Services.

Cons

I wish sometimes new programs could be adapted on a more timely basis.

I would like to see programs go through the evaluation process more quickly. In business, getting the jump on competitors is vital for success. I would like to see more of a business model being adapted.

Research Assistantship

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

Research experience, partial tuition coverage

Cons

No cons here, happy with work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to work

I worked at Pace University full-time

Pros

-Opportunities, there are always positions becoming available.

Cons

-Location, it's hard to live nearby

Great for graduate students

Former Employee - Pace Graduate Assistantship  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pace Graduate Assistantship in New York, NY

I worked at Pace University part-time for less than a year

Pros

As the graduate assistant in the Publishing department, I was always treated well. Also, 32 of 36 hours of my tuition were paid for. I also received a stipend.

Cons

I wish that the assistantship could have lasted throughout my entire time at Pace as a student.

Nightmare in Career Services

Former Employee - Staff  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Pace University full-time

Pros

tuition reimbursement, benefits, close to train, high turnover so always jobs

Cons

30 people have turned-over in short time. complaints filed. There was so much work. Not enough staff to get anything done right. Top management in the city was mean and rude. Management just hired in westchester has absolutely no experience. Combine the bad leadership with the no leadership, and big work load! Its just not where you want to be.

asking employees to write 'favorable reviews' is illegal. If you care change your department. The good reviews will come. Do you want to hire people and them to see the real department and leave? 30 turnover in 2years is enough for a small department

Too many adjuncts

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I have been working at Pace University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Campus is expanding, great students, good facilities.

Cons

I work full time in industry and teach 1 or 2 classes at Pace a year. My adjunct per credit rate has not increased in over 5 years. I used to teach here for the pure joy of it. Money was never the motivation, however; it has gotten to the point where the rate I receive as an adjunct (after taxes less than $2,000 per course), barely covers my travel expenses. Because of this I unfortunately decided to discontinue my association with Pace (with regret).

Instead of using the students tuition money to make yourselves rich (countless administrators earning $300k +), invest the money into the students education, i.e. give out more student aid, hire more qualified FULL TIME faculty (Pace uses 75% adjunct)...basically, show the students more respect by investing in things that increase the value of their degree

Great for student workers

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

always flexible, fun, understanding, pay well learning

Cons

hard to get a raise

I have been a full-time and adjunct Associate Professor of Education for many years.

Current Employee - Adj Associate Professor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adj Associate Professor in New York, NY

I have been working at Pace University part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pace U. has been an innovative, congenial and intellectually-stimulating environment. Colleagues, administrators, students and support teams, such as the Ed Media Department, the Curriculum and Instruction Technology Lab and the Library are of the highest quality. Working with these individuals is a perfect place for all involved to feel secure and to make progress in their chosen fields.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this institution.

The only advice is to find a way to be awarded grant money both for faculty and student research, as well as, to help young people become teachers and education leaders of the 21st century.

Resident Advisor

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

Great working environment and dedicated bosses. Great for personal growth and leadership training for life outside of college.

Cons

There are no cons to this job. The benefits of the position are much more than monetary.

Keep it up

Pace University Photos

frontal view of school
Pace University
annual golf tournament

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pace University? Contribute to the Community!