www.pace.edu

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Pace University President and Trustee Stephen J. Friedman
Stephen J. Friedman

Pros
  • Friendly staff, but not very professional (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible hours, understanding management, friendly work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall, the level of disrespect that is given to hard working employees from upper management is alarming (in 6 reviews)

• the Executive Management in Career Services is awful; they don't care about staff, only promote "yes" people and take advantage of hard working staff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for a beginner position

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Pace University part-time

Pros

I got first hand experience with working with clients. I could easily relate to my coworkers. It was a very helpful learning environment. Mentorship was encouraged.

Cons

Management started becoming unhelpful and confusing. It started as a mentorship and several years later all employees were practically told to manage themselves. Projects were unfairly distributed and many people were left without work while others took all the work. There was also too much personal business interfering with the work environment.

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

If you love books, there is no better place to work for than a library. And the job won't need any professional skills at all as long as you can use a computer.

Cons

Useless for your professional skills.

Challenging, changing and fast paced

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasantville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasantville, NY

I worked at Pace University full-time

Pros

The past couple of years in particular were filled with change in the University and Career Services. These changes presented challenges and opportunities and for me, growth. I received a title change/promotion after years of being at the same title/level. I also had an opportunity to develop processes, implement new programs and work closely with a School and its Deans, something that was previously "reserved" for management level. The time off policy is very generous, as is the the 403b and the location was great for me. Overall my colleagues in the department were professional, supportive and reliable. I had opportunities to collaborate with other departments and to teach.

Cons

There is a lot of change, which some people don't like. Higher ed in general is much more focused on outcomes and numbers, this is not special to Pace, this is the way the industry is going.

Continue/Allow employees to take advantage of the training and courses available as well as their time off

30 years in a career that makes a difference

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

Approaching my 30 year as originally an adjunct professor and then a member of the Career Services team I have never been more optimistic about the future of Pace University and Career Services. I would not be honest if I didn’t admit that this journey has not been bumpy at times. But, as I am also approaching my 72nd birthday, I can’t think of any place I would rather be.
    I have been through a number of presidents and I must say that President Friedman truly has made efforts to brand Pace as a force in the local and national academic world. He has been willing to take risks to position the uniqueness of this institution.
    I have met many of the deans of the schools and they are willing to explore curriculum which meets the demands of the outside world. None of this is easy in that there is so much resistance to change that has to be overcome.
    Over the more than 25 years I have been in career services there has been a lot of change. Not always in my opinion early on they had the best leadership. At times I wished that change would have taken place sooner. But, over the last half of my time in career services, my experience has become increasingly more positive.
    First of all, my contributions had become more increasingly recognized. Over a four year span I received three outstanding contribution awards. I don’t know if anybody else in the university has matched than. I was nominated by both Pace colleagues and students and alumni that I counseled. Still, I didn’t always feel that my talents were always taken advantage of to the fullest.
    All this changed with the appointment of the new Executive Director. She did a full assessment of the department and recommended some radical changes. This did not always sit so well with people who prospered from keeping things the way they were. Some people did not fit in and chose to leave.
    For me, her leadership was and is a breath of fresh air. It liberated me to use my talents more fully. When I recommended some changes she backed me despite fierce opposition and these changes have become institutionalized. She has redefined roles of counselors and put together a vibrant team for employer relations.
    To be more specific, the model of Career Services was that it was an organization focused on career education. We provided individual counseling, workshops and events aimed at improving the knowledge preparation of students to go out and find a job. In addition we had wonderful on campus recruiting and career fairs to help students meet employers.
    But, while all these efforts are important, more of an effort was need to facilitate students getting an internship or job. Our graduates demand that they not only get a great career education, but that they have an internship while attending the university and have a job in their field when they graduate. Our Executive Director challenges us every day to come up with better ideas to help us accomplish our mission.
    I am proud to be part of Pace University and Career Services.

Cons

I wish sometimes new programs could be adapted on a more timely basis.

I would like to see programs go through the evaluation process more quickly. In business, getting the jump on competitors is vital for success. I would like to see more of a business model being adapted.

Counselor

Former Employee - Career Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Pace University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people in department.

Cons

There weren't any cons. All companies have issues. None that stand out as negative.

Be open to learn what employees need to grow

Research Assistantship

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

Research experience, partial tuition coverage

Cons

No cons here, happy with work

A good place to work

I worked at Pace University full-time

Pros

-Opportunities, there are always positions becoming available.

Cons

-Location, it's hard to live nearby

Great for graduate students

Former Employee - Pace Graduate Assistantship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Pace Graduate Assistantship in New York, NY

I worked at Pace University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As the graduate assistant in the Publishing department, I was always treated well. Also, 32 of 36 hours of my tuition were paid for. I also received a stipend.

Cons

I wish that the assistantship could have lasted throughout my entire time at Pace as a student.

Too many adjuncts

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I have been working at Pace University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Campus is expanding, great students, good facilities.

Cons

I work full time in industry and teach 1 or 2 classes at Pace a year. My adjunct per credit rate has not increased in over 5 years. I used to teach here for the pure joy of it. Money was never the motivation, however; it has gotten to the point where the rate I receive as an adjunct (after taxes less than $2,000 per course), barely covers my travel expenses. Because of this I unfortunately decided to discontinue my association with Pace (with regret).

Instead of using the students tuition money to make yourselves rich (countless administrators earning $300k +), invest the money into the students education, i.e. give out more student aid, hire more qualified FULL TIME faculty (Pace uses 75% adjunct)...basically, show the students more respect by investing in things that increase the value of their degree

Great for student workers

I have been working at Pace University

Pros

always flexible, fun, understanding, pay well learning

Cons

hard to get a raise

Pace University Photos