Pacific Architects & Engineers

John Heller

Government Contractor

Former Employee - Business Operations in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Business Operations in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

3-5 year recurring government contracts; relatively stable employment; good location; travel to Bahamas; good compensation and benefits

Cons

Morale has been dropping due to uncertain future of government contract; little opportunity for continuing education; little opportunity for advancement

Work at PAE

Former Employee - Professional Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Professional Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

While I worked there, they were a good employer to work for. They were generous with sick time, and allowing vacation days whenever the employee wanted.

Cons

When new work was not coming in, the layoff policy was indiscriminate. I believe the older workers were laid off first.

Management needs to revise its layoff policy.

PAE is a great global company to work for with ongoing projects with the federal government.

I have been working at Pacific Architects & Engineers

Pros

Wide variety of complex projects and outages to manage and complete. Always learning new things on the job. This position will teach you a great deal project management.

Cons

There needs to be more trained and experenced engineers on staff. It is a company with only a handful of people than have "tribal knowledge" about mechanical/electrical systems.

The company was not ready to purchase any others

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They came on strong and tried to be competitive.

Cons

They purchased our group and then layed every one off! They are too small and didn't have their act together to play in the big leagues. They didn't have enough contracts signed up to keep the staff the acquired on hand.

Know the market before you start buying companies and messing with peoples life's!

Good Pay / Poor Management

Current Employee - Worker
    Current Employee - Worker

I have been working at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Salaries, Good Co-Workers, Good Pay.

Cons

Crises Management is the norm, No or little notification of Lay-off, 2-Days. They only remember you for your mistakes, or you only good as your last mistake. do 100 things correct, and one mistake can take you down.

Better forecasting of work loads, Do more to encourage you staff.

Environmental Technician

Current Employee - Environmental Technician in Sheppard AFB, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Technician in Sheppard AFB, TX

Pros

Easy Tasks, flexible, and freedom

Cons

Union, lack of leadership, nepatism

PAE went from perfect to pathetic in less than 1 year.

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to travel to other assignments. promotions if you are a white male and under 40. Was a great company when I started, opportunities were available, I had a boss who always had my back.

Cons

If you are not a white male under 40 you won't get promoted or you will be released to make room for a white male under 40. All the managers in HR are men for all 3 companies under the PAE umbrella, AT, DS2 and PAE. Also, the men receive higher salaries than women

They should have thought about all the people they placed on a RIF in the past year. Now the company is a skeleton crew with people working 50+ hours a week in lieu of 40. Cutting back staff to save money and go public is not the best course of action. Also, replacing all American worker's with Foreign Nationals will not work either. I believe Foreign Nationals are some of the best workers I have seen; some don't have the knowledge of what it takes to be in positions that need American knowledge. There is no work-life balance for people working overseas. Now that staff has been cut stateside, they are expected to work 60-72 hours week as if overseas, which is the normal work schedule.

A global company with numerous exciting opportunities.

Pros

The compensation is equal to or better than the going rates for similar jobs. There are training opportunities for new and improved equipment. The benefits package is affordable and worth the money.

Cons

The HR department is not very helpful at times and takes forever to get an answer on simple questions. The finance office is slow to react to inquiries regarding your pay. There is not a great deal of growth or advancement in certain positions.

At times our section is not even sure who our manager is since we never hear or see the individual. Management is slow to replace individuals who have resigned which causes other individuals to pick up the slack. There are positions which have more individuals working in them that are needed to complete the job which is a waste to the company.

Great work and learning experience

Pros

Great work atmosphere and camaraderie. Managers are free to express and implement new ideas

Cons

still a young company and with that there are growing pains as they struggle to nail down processes.

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Pacific Architects & Engineers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Great Company, fulfilling work.

Cons

None, everything is great here.

Keep doing a great job