Pacific Bridge Medical

Pacific Bridge Jump Started My Professional Career

Former Employee - Manager  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Ability to Work in Fast Paced High Energy organization
    + Diversity of work (ranging from writing market research reports to helping on business development deals)
    + Ability for expanded responsibility if a person demonstrates results

Cons

- People who require a significant amount of structure and hand holding will not thrive in this environment
    - People who just want to "coast" through an internship will be challenged here. You need to work.

I started working for Pacific Bridge, Inc. when I was a sophomore in college and I can honestly say that it provided a great foundation to jump start my career. I not only obtained exposure to the Asia medical device / pharma market but also learned core marketing skills, how to be accountable for managing projects and to work with a diverse group of people. The President of the company is tough but always treated me fairly and I was compensated well for delivering results. When I left Pacific Bridge to join one of our clients, I had his full support. Over my career I have worked at Fleet Laboratories, Covidien and am now a general manager with Zimmer Holdings. Like anything in life, true stars make their own opportunities. However PBI provided me the opportunity to do so.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Business Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Business Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time for more than a year

Pros

There really are no pros to working at this super tiny company.

Cons

The company, if you can call it that, is more like a dictatorship run by the President of the company. Do not give any credit to the three 5-star ratings below. They are clearly written by someone still working for this guy. Scroll down to the comments below to find out the real truth from REAL people. The president of the company treats his employees terribly by yelling at them, constantly putting them down and telling them they do terrible work. It is a terrible work environment that no one should deal with. Whatever you do, do not work for this company.

A good place for ambitious people who are genuinely interested in business in Asia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, are able to think outside the box, able to take criticism, thrive on your own accomplishments and have an interest in Asia, this is a good place to work early in your career. I joined the company only a few years after college and found myself in the unique position of dealing directly with clients at very senior levels within large multinational organizations. I attended numerous conferences throughout the US and traveled to meet with clients. You have to work hard, but it’s not investment banking or management consulting hours. You’re working on projects exclusively focused on Asia so you might need to make calls in the evening or on Sunday nights. You might have an occasional 12-hour+ day, but you won’t be doing this 7 days per week unless you want to. Having moved on in my career, I can say that there was a good work-life balance at Pacific Bridge.

This company is not for people who want to drift through the day on Facebook or who want to build their social lives while in the office. If you have the mindset that your purpose in coming to work each day is to build your career skills, make money and do something that you find interesting, then you will understand that in order to achieve this you must help the company succeed. If all of this makes sense to you and you find what the company does fundamentally interesting, then I think you will thrive at PBM. At an earlier stage in your career, you will learn much more here than you could in a large corporate environment. This is a great place for ambitious people who want to learn about business in Asia.

Cons

To me this is not a con, but to be clear, this company is not for people who rely upon structure or predictability to get through the day. Ames is a small business owner and has been doing this for more than 25 years. He can be critical and change his mind quickly, but that’s how you stay flexible and alive in this type of business. If you put in an honest effort, are willing to take criticism constructively and are willing to push back when you need to, he will respect you and give you levels of responsibility that would take years to gain in a large corporate environment.

Again, this company is not for everyone, but ambitious, self-motivated people can do well and be successful here. When I left the company after 4+ years, I was ready to move on to other challenges, but feel that the skills I developed at PBM will continue to be useful to me throughout my business career.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity for those willing to commit and learn the business

I have been working at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time

Pros

I have definitely learned a lot working at PBM. Everyone trains in the company business (pharmaceutical and medical device consulting in Asia) for the first month. After the first several months, you sort of graduate from training and start taking on real tasks to help the business. So, you get to do a variety of things and really learn about the market segment from the bottom up.

Because it is a small office, everyone has direct access to the company president -- there are no mid-level managers or anything. Also, you can do a variety of different tasks in the office, instead of just doing the same small task repeatedly, like you might at a larger company.

There are also very good opportunities to advance. Even if you know nothing about consulting or about the business, you can assist with projects and transition to consulting after 1-2 years (where you can make more money!). It all depends on how hard you are willing to work. The company president really rewards those who are loyal to the business and will work hard.

Co-workers are really friendly and the building is in a good location, close to the metro, with a gym on site, etc.

Cons

Especially for those who don’t know much about the business area, there is a steep learning curve the first couple of months when you are training and learning about the company’s work. Therefore, the first few months can be a bit difficult. After the training period, however, work becomes much more interesting. The company president expects everyone in the office to perform to very high standards.

One downside of it being a small office is that if you make a mistake, the company president does have direct access to take you to task for making the mistake, which can be rather intimidating at times. The president also expects everyone to double-check their work and make sure it is done well before submitting it -- so as long as you do this, you should be fine!

And it is consulting, which means that the working hours can be a bit long. But you are compensated for the longer work day and the bonus system and benefits are definitely good.

Great Opportunity for Asian Bilingual Candidates

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical as a Senior Associate, I have learned a lot, from general office skills to more in-depth business skills and medical markets/regulations in Asia. You will learn many basic office skills for the first six months. Then, the boss will allow you to work on the actual consulting projects after you are more knowledgeable about medical product regulations in the US and Asia. As you work with medical clients and Asian consulting partners, you will learn a huge amount of information about medical markets in Asia, which is very difficult to learn unless you are actually involved in the real projects.

This job is suitable for people who have Asian bilingual skills. You will have so many opportunities to use your Asian language skills in communicating with consulting partners in Asia who speak in limited English. The boss is willing to support necessary working visas for non US workers.

This is a small office, and people know each other very well. Co-workers are supportive and friendly. The boss even organizes the fun lunch parties on employees’ birthdays!

The boss will give you the great salary (plus bonus) as long as you work very hard.

Cons

This job may need you to take extra-hour work (early in the morning or late night) because of the international conference calls. So, your schedule has to be very flexible. You will definitely need to be very energetic and passionate about learning new skills for the position at Pacific Bridge Medical.

Mixed feeling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical

Pros

Colleagues were all friendly and supportive. You are able to learn a lot in a short amount of time if you work hard.

Cons

The CEO of this company possesses unprofessional management style.

Unprofessional, stressful environment, don't learn anything

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical

Pros

Coworkers are fantastic and supportive, but they change every year. You get an hour for lunch, but you also work 9+ hours a day.

Cons

The boss is unprofessional, yelling at you for the smallest things, blaming you for things he did, speaking very rudely about everyone. Even though he keeps saying you'll learn a lot, you don't learn anything since all the actual consulting/medical strategy is done by foreign offices/partners. A lot of busy work. Most people start looking for a new job within a couple of months because it is incredibly stressful.

Interned for about 4 months

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good colleagues, the boss is willing to teach.

Cons

You won't have too many opportunities to conduct real consulting project if you don't have former relevant experiences.

Better if it's not un-paid internship.

Unprofessional and ancient

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical

Pros

Most of the employees (apparently all females) in the small office are corporative to one another.

Cons

The owner of this company possesses unprofessional and unfair management style. He blames his staff for his mistakes and start yelling at them. His words are inconsistent. The compensation is not great either.

Try to play a descent role model to run business.

Good direction but poor management

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Pacific Bridge Medical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's a good opportunity to learn about Asian medical devices and pharmaceutical sectors. The office is right next to Bethesda metro, quite convenient.

Cons

intern jobs were almost laborious. There was little chance to talk to the CEO and learn more about the medical device market. IT facilities were outdated.

Worked for Pacific Bridge Medical? Contribute to the Community!