Pacific Capital Bancorp

www.pcbancorp.com

Pacific Capital Bancorp Reviews

2.5

Pacific Capital Bancorp CEO and Director; Chairman and CEO, Pacific Capital Bank Carl B. Webb
Carl B. Webb
1 Rating

PCB review for year 2007

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement, Especially for a entry level positions. If a particular branch or department isn't good for you, then there are plenty others to transfer to. Benefits are equivalent to other financial instituions.

Cons

The new CEO assumed the helm in March of 2007. The bank itself was in a delicate-situation and the new CEO needed to take drastic measures to try and turn things around quickly. While I personally benefited from some of the changes, I think that communication between between senior management and the working masses should and could have been much more timely. There was a culture of policy changes put into effect immediately upon notification without any "Big Picture" vision given. This lead to A LOT of speculation and FEAR amongst lower level staff.

Treat all staff with respect. You take pride in hiring intelligent people, please treat them as such. Understandably, there are some things that people can't be privy to, but, giving simplified explanations keeps people on your side, and much less inclined to wasting time and energy on paranoia and gossip.

Fair treatment, but no budget for employee appreciation.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Management tries to match your interests and abilities when assigning work. There is rarely confusion about what is expected. There is lengthy documentation for everything.

Cons

Hinting at promotions is a frequent tactic for soothing and mollifying restless employees, but these promotions do not materialize.

Love my division, questions about the bank as a whole

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Very friendly management, very flexible with time off.

Cons

Pay is a joke, way behind industry standard. Recently financial health of the bank has become a question. Certain parts of the bank are being drug down by the retail branches.

Increase the wages, santa barbara is a extremely expensive city

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Entry Job

Current Employee - Internal Control Coordinator  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Control Coordinator in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Stable Job, If you get in, you'll stay. Its got a cozy atomosphere, with decent componsation for hard work. If you're good at multitasking and initiative, this is your dream job.

Cons

Its a small bank in a tough market, Consolidation is a big element of problems. Be prepared to volunteer some Overtime or saturdays during hard times. Though its not negative to not do Overtime, its likely you wont move ahead.

Focus on supporting your hard workers

review of employment at pcb

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

the company supports lots of local charities and is very committed to the local community, an employee can contribute to local charities through the company

Cons

banking industry is not doing well

none

Solid People Here

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

The people you work with here at PCB are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It is a genuine family environment.

Cons

There is a disconnect between senior management and the daily operations of the bank. They don't seem to have a real direction in which to take the company right now.

Let's get back to basics. Downsizing jobs is only one way to reduce costs. We have been spending money foolishly while at the same time cutting back on employees.

Going through hard times

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Friendly, humane people. The company is well respected in the community. They do everything "by the book" as far as treating you well, benefits, etc.

Cons

As a bank, security is understandably tight in the IT department. However, it seems to be overly so at the expense of letting me do my job in a timely manner. Also, some of the technology and the ways of doing things seem dated. Finally, there is the elephant in the room of how much longer we will even exist.

Keep on keeping us informed about how things are going. Try to keep us open, and keep doing little things such as lunches and open forums to keep the troops informed.

Not a career for long term

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Only if you plan to stay a Teller the rest of your life. The people you serve is about the best thing you face while employed here.

Cons

No one cares about anything but there own job. There is much to much effort taken on meetings that go nowhere and management time spent doing nothing more than watching you do the job. If someone at the Executive level really spent the time to see what was needed to be competitive as a "business" bank then there would be a much better effort given from the front line. I also have seen that there is little understanding of how a real business development effort could be run, instead we try things by those that never have been on the front line.

Learn how to work with your employees. I think they are top heavy and have too many layers of management to really know what is needed for success.

Not Getting any better!

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

long term dedicated employees, friendly co-workers

Cons

lack of communication, fairness and equity issues, no clear roadmap of the future

Communicate, value employee growth with opportunties for upper management. don't forget the long term employees that have been with the company thru thick and thin and helped the ford group aquire the bank, they shouldn't be part of the purchase discount pool, but a values asset. remove the dead weight that sits in management.

Treatment of employees needs to change

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Great location to work, pretty much the only big local company in town. Get some good banking discounts if you make PCBC your bank.

Cons

If you're not SVP's you're paid very poorly. The only people that stay at the bank are those that can't leave SB or won't be able to find a job elsewhere, anyone that's able to leave will eventually leave. HR does NOT like to promote from within. If you are promoted from within to a different position, they won't pay you the same as people they hire from the outside. Manager are embarrassed of salaries HR offers. Benefits are no good.

Now that Ford is in charge I hope to see things changing. Many managers were only hired b/c they were friends of upper management and I hope that they are weeded out. Employees are unhappy, if you don't change things you will lose all your good people.

Worked for Pacific Capital Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!