Pacific Capital Bancorp

www.pcbancorp.com

Pacific Capital Bancorp Reviews

2.5

Pacific Capital Bancorp CEO and Director; Chairman and CEO, Pacific Capital Bank Carl B. Webb
Carl B. Webb
1 Rating

Not Getting any better!

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

long term dedicated employees, friendly co-workers

Cons

lack of communication, fairness and equity issues, no clear roadmap of the future

Communicate, value employee growth with opportunties for upper management. don't forget the long term employees that have been with the company thru thick and thin and helped the ford group aquire the bank, they shouldn't be part of the purchase discount pool, but a values asset. remove the dead weight that sits in management.

Treatment of employees needs to change

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Great location to work, pretty much the only big local company in town. Get some good banking discounts if you make PCBC your bank.

Cons

If you're not SVP's you're paid very poorly. The only people that stay at the bank are those that can't leave SB or won't be able to find a job elsewhere, anyone that's able to leave will eventually leave. HR does NOT like to promote from within. If you are promoted from within to a different position, they won't pay you the same as people they hire from the outside. Manager are embarrassed of salaries HR offers. Benefits are no good.

Now that Ford is in charge I hope to see things changing. Many managers were only hired b/c they were friends of upper management and I hope that they are weeded out. Employees are unhappy, if you don't change things you will lose all your good people.

Life inside the

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

As a large community bank, it's pretty much the only game in town unless you want to work for one of the nation-wide banks. For mid-level & higher jobs, the pay exceeds the industry standard. Cash infusion from the Ford Group has stabilized the organization; there is a wait and see attitude on what will happen. The Ford Group is now at the helm of the executive leadership & could represent the catalyst for change that has been sorely needed. Many nice, under-utilized people.

Cons

Below the executive leadership level, politics reign supreme in every aspect of work, unfortunately. The organization does not seem focused on actually getting itself operating in a substantive, profitable, truthful manner. The image presented to the community is disconnected from how the bank really functions. Existing management needs a housecleaning. Many employees have worked at the bank forever and have become complacent or turn their heads on the ineptness, inefficiency and underhandedness that seems to represent the place. True talent is not encouraged and in many areas, people who will not rock the boat are more valued and rewarded than those with competence. New management has been brought in that appear to be more concerned with their survival than in getting what could be a great organization back on its feet. Read the 2008 posting. The more things change, the less things change?

Become leaders in the truest sense of the word-- establish trust & talent among your employees, not just your followers; strive to re-establish a real bank; think strategically beyond your personal existence; take calculated risks for the benefit of the bank, its shareholders and the community.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Current Employee - Vice President Manager
    Current Employee - Vice President Manager

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Santa Barbara is a great community to live or work in, Pacific Capital Bancorp has the potential to be better than it currently is but it will take stronger leadership than it currently has.

Cons

Very political atmosphere, bad morale due to layoffs

Stop acting like teenage boys and start acting like the mature role models that you are supposed to be. Be kind, offer opportunities for growth and challenge, understand that consistent action speaks louder than inconsistent communication

You are not what you say you are "Community Bank"

Current Employee - Unknown  in  Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Unknown in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Small but large community bank. Still a young bank. Has the potential to compete with large banks.

Cons

Its not what you know its who you know attitude. Senior leadership, Human Resources are not well trained. Have many employees who were trained in position of which they have no credentials. Many empoyees specially in Human Resources have no degrees and have many department which have many employees who are more qualified than their managers and have more experience. The Bank is going toward younger less experience higher paid managers who are "Yes Man"

You have many smart and caring employees. Seek their advise and be sincere if what you hear is not alway what you were expecting. Just because you are a Senior leader does not make you smarter than anyone else. If you ask for employees advise do use it. Do not just go through the mention and seem like you care

Not a career for long term

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Only if you plan to stay a Teller the rest of your life. The people you serve is about the best thing you face while employed here.

Cons

No one cares about anything but there own job. There is much to much effort taken on meetings that go nowhere and management time spent doing nothing more than watching you do the job. If someone at the Executive level really spent the time to see what was needed to be competitive as a "business" bank then there would be a much better effort given from the front line. I also have seen that there is little understanding of how a real business development effort could be run, instead we try things by those that never have been on the front line.

Learn how to work with your employees. I think they are top heavy and have too many layers of management to really know what is needed for success.

review of employment at pcb

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

the company supports lots of local charities and is very committed to the local community, an employee can contribute to local charities through the company

Cons

banking industry is not doing well

none

Solid People Here

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

The people you work with here at PCB are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It is a genuine family environment.

Cons

There is a disconnect between senior management and the daily operations of the bank. They don't seem to have a real direction in which to take the company right now.

Let's get back to basics. Downsizing jobs is only one way to reduce costs. We have been spending money foolishly while at the same time cutting back on employees.

Going through hard times

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Friendly, humane people. The company is well respected in the community. They do everything "by the book" as far as treating you well, benefits, etc.

Cons

As a bank, security is understandably tight in the IT department. However, it seems to be overly so at the expense of letting me do my job in a timely manner. Also, some of the technology and the ways of doing things seem dated. Finally, there is the elephant in the room of how much longer we will even exist.

Keep on keeping us informed about how things are going. Try to keep us open, and keep doing little things such as lunches and open forums to keep the troops informed.

Fair treatment, but no budget for employee appreciation.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Bancorp

Pros

Management tries to match your interests and abilities when assigning work. There is rarely confusion about what is expected. There is lengthy documentation for everything.

Cons

Hinting at promotions is a frequent tactic for soothing and mollifying restless employees, but these promotions do not materialize.

Worked for Pacific Capital Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!