Pacific Capital Resource Group

Updated August 10, 2014
Updated August 10, 2014
3.2

Kurt Jonson

Outstanding company to intern for.

Former Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Pacific Capital Resource Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great mentor program
    Friendly and fun work environment
    Learned a lot from other employees

Cons

I wasn't licensed at the time so I couldn't handle any clients, but that's not the company's fault. They did everything possible to get an intern involved

Great life long career for those looking to work at one firm until retirement

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Pacific Capital Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent sales training, fun peer group, you control your success as the employee, entrepreneurial, high income potential, great for those that like sales (note this is not a CFA type position but highly sales oriented), great positive impact on clients, building your own practice, great place to work if you are a family woman/man with longterm need of flexibility to be with kids

Cons

Salary is unrealistic for those without second income from spouse/family to support at start of job, this is an expensive job - you invest in it heavily, stressful as you are always thinking about next sale, first 3-5 years are high intensity and work life balance is low, must be comfortable with selling to your 'natural market'

It started out really well, then politics got in the way

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Pacific Capital Resource Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there while I was in school, it was very flexible with my school schedule which is what I needed. It was a learning experience, at the time I thought I wanted to be a finanicial advisor, I learned that that was not the career path I wanted to take long term.

Cons

The bullying was awful. There was some personel changeover, and suddenly the new person is power hungry, and is trying to kick me out and bring in her own person. The pay was not enough for me me to stick around to be treated like that. It was unfortuneate, since I was there for nearly two years

Watch what your staff is doing, the bullying is not hard to see. Also, if your assistant is making personal calls for hours on end, it may be time to look into getting a new assistant.

It was a great experience. The team is one of the best I have worked for since graduating. I loved my manager.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pacific Capital Resource Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is second to none, the principle is engaging and helpful, the company fosters success and is there for you.

Cons

It is just like any other financial advisor job selling insurance, you have to be a salesman and you need to know that you can call family and friends to get started.

Great job, you do a fantastic job training and you do a wonderful job making us be successful. The best advice is to understand your team members' personality and teach us to harness the potential within that personality scope.

Not a fun internship, but it looks good on my resume!

I worked at Pacific Capital Resource Group

Pros

Great flexible with hours
    Really family oriented
    Able to do independent work and projects
    Have intern classes about different financial topics

Cons

Very poor compensation (underpaid)
    Duties not clear
    Training was poor and disorganized
    Advisor's were not available to answer questions regularly
    Did a lot of boring work

In order to attract employees who are willing to stay for more than a few months to a year, you should consider paying wages comparable to your competitors.

Possibly good for interns or established advisors, but other than that... Awful!!!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Pacific Capital Resource Group

Pros

Learning experience... Even if it's learning exactly the place you don't want to work

Cons

Working for a financial advisor who is supposedly working to better people's financial lives, they sure suck the financial life out of their employees. Many advisors pay their employees as independent contractors to avoid paying taxes or unemployment insurance. You may be praised for your hard work but when the time comes for a review and possible raise, they're quick to find any short comings to avoid an income raise. May hire on false promises of benefits once you work there long enough, but most likely you won't make it that long on their account. EVERY assistant there is dissatisfied with their job!! If offered an assistant role there as a career, please please don't do it!! Especially if you hate car salesmen attitudes!

Quit sucking the life out of your support staff

It was a good learning experience.

I have been working at Pacific Capital Resource Group

Pros

If you are a people person, you can really excel as an employee there. You have to create a huge network in order to be successful.

Cons

As an intern, the one thing I looked forward to was the class on Friday mornings. However, most of my time was spent doing secretary work.

I think top management did their best in trying to give the interns a good learning experience while at PCRG.